Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very scared

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Japan is way way safer than UK
    Not aware of how safe Japan is Peter, but I was referring to everything including our NHS, and State pension system. By the way would love to visit Japan, up to the age of 47 when I met my ex I never thought I would ever set foot out of the UK and now I always look forward to visiting Philippines

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    All we can do is just try to be careful no matter where you may call home
    Wise words.
    I think we are reasonably safe in the UK.
    Surely G4S Security would be able to deal with terrorists surging through the 2 lane highway under the Channel...(AKA Service Tunnel)

Wouldn't they?

Trusted Member
    A few Tigers running loose might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Iani View Post
    Well done in getting the hell out fella Not sure what I'd have done, unfortunately I'm a bit hot headed and I'd have probably walked right up to him (Yes very unwise).

So you're considering retiring out there? Well, perhaps as you say it should make you reconsider, but just because your wife comes from there doesn't mean you should retire to that place. Maybe somewhere else but within not too distant travelling? I'm not convinced of all this "retire to Philippines just because my wife came from there" stuff............I'm not saying it's wrong or right, just I remain to be convinced it's a good idea.
    The wife has said quite a few times that one day she would like to return to Philippines one day to live.i suppose after her sacrificing all to come to here for most of her life,maybe I could do the same.Maybe it will be a different place after 20 odd years when I finally retire.I did have a small dream of buying a nice house in a safe Cagayan de Oro Suberb with the guards on the gates of private community and something with a parking space and swimming pool.Thats is of course if the government don't find a way to screw me out of any pension for living abroad.i know it's a tall order to think I could be comfortable out there but Aaaah well at least the the idea is there and as I said I still have another 20 plus years to mull it over.

Nice thought Robbie, but I couldn't live anywhere with guards, gates or even bars on the windows, good luck to you for the future!

Trusted Member
    Got to agree Michael.

Reasons I may like to retire to the Philippines

Wife's family is there, and.........well, with one exception I don't have family here - we never got on I wouldn't miss most people one bit and in some cases I'd be glad to see the back of them.

I'm not fussy about things like diet, and unlike some we could live relatively cheaply out there

It's near places I'd like to tour in the second part of my life.

Reasons I wouldn't like to retire to the Philippines

I love cold weather

I am extremely attached to city living, though this doesn't really apply to UK cities which seem to be crap full of idiots and drunks. Yes the Philippines has cities, but..........well, take a walk around Manila at night, then take a walk around Singapore at night. Compare!

I HAVE to keep out of strong sunlight as I don't tan easily, burn very easily and have been told I am at risk of health problems.

I tolerate the food - doesn't mean I like it. Thai yes, just about every single other asian food yes - Philippine no.

I sometimes get an uneasy feeling as if something just doesn't feel safe - might be just a feeling but that feeling has served me very well at times. Wife tells me it ISN'T safe even at Mall of Asia, I actually don't believe that

I think the health service here is top rate

I think the UK is one of the safest countries and fairest countries with little corruption

I like the idea you can reach Europe in such a short time.

I get a rash in the Philippines, doctors say I am allergic to something but they can't track what - they suspect rice pollen. Well it's near impossible to avoid rice pollen in the Philippines.

Everything there seems to want to sink it's fangs into me. I always come back with a right collection of bites and stings

So..................something for me to think about

Doesn't mean it's totally unsuitable for me and that I wouldn't - just that all things must be considered and it must be for the right reason - whatever the right reason may be

Just make sure your health takes top priority, good luck whatever you do and please take care!

but I was referring to everything including our NHS, and State pension system.

Whats going to happen when these two things disappear , would the UK still be the best place to be,
    It will not be long before you will be paying some sort of insurance policy for both
    Maybe it will be free for the people who refuse to work and have lots of kids but in a few years time things will be different
    But hey each to there own , home is where the heart it , but no matter where you will be you will be paying one way or another

I never really had good feelings about getting older and having no family in the UK.
    I know my wife would have done her best but still a worry.

I always wanted to retire to Japan or second choice was a nice village near the mountains in Alsace France.

Despite what many folks believe cannot be found her in the Philippines I have actually found peace, contentment and a great quality of life (for me) all shared with my wonderful wife.

Peter you have found what may are still looking for,

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    but I was referring to everything including our NHS, and State pension system.

Whats going to happen when these two things disappear , would the UK still be the best place to be,
    It will not be long before you will be paying some sort of insurance policy for both
    Maybe it will be free for the people who refuse to work and have lots of kids but in a few years time things will be different
    But hey each to there own , home is where the heart it , but no matter where you will be you will be paying one way or another
    They won't, If you do pay by other means National insurance will disappear!

If you aren't safe in NAIA with getting scammed and bullets in your luggage etc you are definitely not safe in the mall

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Nice thought Robbie, but I couldn't live anywhere with guards, gates or even bars on the windows, good luck to you for the future!
    Thinking about it, that's a lot of London then, loads of houses there seem to have bars on the windows. Around here, even in the dodgiest areas you don't need to bar your windows as a matter of course, but so many of the homes under the hammer type shows, they have on some hugely expensive flat in Kensington - allegedly one of the posh areas - and behold, they have something like a lockable iron gate covering the door and the windows have bars on them. Must be so wonderful living in such a climate

Trusted Member
    I'll second that Iani.

I think I was lucky living in London when it was still a fun and exciting place, predominantly British, not too dear, and you could even park your car outside your flat in central London... FREE !

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Not something I do consciously, but I always reverse into a space to make getting away quicker.
    I do that at work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information