Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Snake bites

Trusted Member

Snake bites

The only venomous snake found in the wild in the UK is the adder – about 100 adder bites are reported each year in the UK, usually in the summer ( and a few UK residents are bitten by foreign snakes every year, either by captive snakes or while travelling abroad ).

See :- http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Bites-s...roduction.aspx

• There are, however, many venomous snakes throughout the world.

The main ones in the Philippines are :-
    * Cobras
    * Lance-headed pit vipers
    * Coral snakes
    * Sea snakes
    * See :- http://usaphcapps.amedd.army.mil/HIO...er04-15-04.pdf

• Over half ( but not all ) people bitten by venomous snakes develop signs of " envenoming " – local ( pain, swelling, blistering ) and general ( vomiting, headache, bleeding, shock ). All victims should be at least observed in hospital for a day. They may need antivenom if there is swelling for over half the bitten limb and if there is a severe general reaction.

• Snake bites are one of the " neglected tropical diseases ". An estimated 5 million people around the world are bitten ; over 100,000 die ; and 400,000 are disabled / disfigured each year. Most victims are aged 10 – 30 years, from remote, rural areas, with no health facilities nearby. Even when rapid treatment is possible, it’s expensive so they either do without or turn to " traditional healers ".

• Snakebite envenoming is curable – if the right type of antivenom is available. Such antivenom is made by injecting small, non-life threatening amounts of venom into large animals ( e.g. horses ). Last year Sanofi-Pasteur stopped manufacturing the only antivenom proved to be safe and effective against all the different types of snake in sub-Saharan Africa. Stockpiles will expire next year. No replacement product – ideally cheap, safe, and effective – is likely to be available for the next two years.

• World Health Organization has no formal programme to address this issue. It needs to recognise / publicise the scale of deaths and injuries caused by snakebites, to coordinate and promote donor funding of antivenom production. The consequences of snakebites worldwide are a public health emergency which has so far been neglected – in part through lack of awareness.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...lltext?rss=yes

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    The Adder or Viper is more common in Cornwall, other snakes of the UK Sloworm and Grass snake can be found in any area. I have never seen a snake in the wild in the UK yet and lived very rural for many years. Interesting topic Alan, thank you!

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    I just googled snakes in UK. Almost wish I had not, as I discovered this:-

The Aesculapian snake (now Zamenis longissimus, previously Elaphe longissima), is a species of nonvenomous snake native to Europe, a member of the Colubrinae subfamily of the family Colubridae. Growing up to 2 metres (6.6 ft) in total length (including tail), it counts among the largest European snakes

Escaped populations in Great Britain

There are two populations of Aesculapian snake which derive from escapes in Great Britain. The older one is in the vicinity of the Welsh Mountain Zoo near Conwy in North Wales This population has persisted and reproduced for at least the last 30 years.[9] A second, more recent population has been found in and around Regent's Park near Regent's Canal in London[10] and said to number up to 30. It is suspected this colony may have been there some years, undetected.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Thank you for that John, very interesting indeed!

Thank you for this interesting and informative write~up, Alan.

Like Michael, I cannot be certain I've ever encountered a live snake in the wild ... and, to be honest ... ... I'm not sure I'd even want to, as the mere thought of these reptiles gives me the heebie jeebes!

Thread Information