Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Banned

Do something amazing - give blood and save a life

Donated for the 25th time today & they gave me a thank you card, apparently I'll be sent a badge & certificate.

It doesn't hurt or take long & there's unlimited biscuits, crisps, fruit squash, tea & coffee to get stuck into afterwards

http://www.blood.co.uk/giving-blood/

Trusted Member
    Thanks for the reminder Dedders...and well done !

I had assumed that I was too old, but I'll look into it, as I'm in pretty good nick for my age.

Also though, I had thought about having some of my own blood put into storage, should I go and live in the Phils full-time, as I believe my group (A neg) is quite scarce there.

I used to give regularly too, but for some reason I stopped. Maybe look into this again and take Ems along.

Well done Ded

Banned
    Cheers fellas

It's worth it I've given a few more times - years ago in house at my 1st job but they don't have the records, these 25 times are circa 2002 to date. It can be quite sociable, sometimes as today I'll meet someone I know to chin wag with whilst at the coffee and biscuits stage (a young bloke - former Assistant to the Assistant Political Advisor at 10 Downing St but thats another story )

Ems wants to know do they serve chicken?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    Ems wants to know do they serve chicken?
    The only non sugary offerings were Seabrookes Crisps, plain & prawn cocktail I think. Sometimes they have TUC Cheese biscuits - not today. Take her along then have a KFC or Nandos

Banned
    Thanks for the "Rep" Doc

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I've recently renewed my Driving Licence and have a new Donor card!

Trusted Member
    Thank you Dedworth for again reminding those members who are eligible to donate blood – few of us ( 1/25 ) give blood yet most would accept a transfusion if we needed one .

• Our four main blood groups are defined by the " ABO " system. A has A antigens ( surface proteins ) on the red blood cells and anti-B antibodies ; B has B antigens and anti-B antibodies ; O has no antigens but anti-A and anti-B antibodies ; AB has A and B antigens but no antibodies. Red blood cells may also have the RhD antigen.

• About half the UK population has blood group O and 85% are RhD + ( positive ) – the commonest type is O + ( 36% ). In medical emergencies ( blood group not yet known ) O – blood may be given.

• The distribution of blood types is different elsewhere in the world – over 99% in the Philippines are RhD +.

• Thus around 36% are A + in UK ( 23% Philippines ) ; 6% A – UK ; 7% B + UK ( 25% Philippines ) ; 1% B – UK ; 40% O + UK ( 45% Philippines ) ; 7% O – UK ; 2.5% AB + UK ( 6% Philippines ) ; 0.5% AB – UK.

• There are screening measures to ensure blood donation is safe for the donor and the recipient – including health checks and confirmation of blood group ; and tests for several serious infections ( including syphilis, hepatitis B and C, HIV, and malaria if indicated ) – whether in UK or ( to my knowledge ) Philippines.

• Of course blood transfusion is not without risk, and blood is a precious resource so the indications for transfusion must be sound. Serious errors such as transfusing mismatched blood or transmitting an infection are minimised by rigorous protocols.

• As for " putting into storage " your own blood ( autologous donation ), advantages may include an exact match, with no infectious agents. However, there are still possibilities of contamination during donation; mislabelling; unnecessary transfusion ( because the supply exists ); and the costs of processing / storage ( usually only possible for 6 weeks ). " Banking " of blood from a patient before planned surgery is only considered with rare blood groups ( or lack of donated blood ) ; or for patients who may refuse to consent to donated blood. Autologous donations account for a very small proportion of the total ( 5% in USA ).

• In the Philippines, the Red Cross provides transfusion services, and hopefully the Blood Disease and Transfusion Center future care for patients with blood disorders.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Blood-g...roduction.aspx

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/blo...ond-the-basics

http://www.redcross.org.ph/get-involved/give-blood

http://medicalobserverph.com/bill-se...cal-institute/

Trusted Member
    Thanks for that Alan.

Well ... ... I used to regularly donate blood when I was a bit younger. Alas ... being diabetic - and over 65 - I'm now no longer eligible.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    I've recently renewed my Driving Licence and have a new Donor card!
    I'm a registered donor as well.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Thread Information