Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

FLR (M) application form completion underway...

Hello to you all,

I have a few queries that I would really appreciate your help with - probably just for reassurance that I'm doing the right thing before my wife and I send off her FLR(M) application form:

I am making a number of assumptions I'd be grateful for your comments on:

a) This will be the first application after her 2 1/2 year initial entry clearance, so I am assuming that I put that this is the first time she is applying for a visa or extension of stay in the category of 'Spouse of a person present and settled in the UK and a biometric immigration document'. This would be a 'first period of leave to remain'.

b) She won't have to apply for her biometric document until this application for FLR has been submitted by us, and the UKVI tell us it's time to do so.

c) Salary requirements don't take overdrafts into consideration (!)

d) We are applying on my salary only - although my wife does work - so do we have to fill out both columns with both her and my work details, as Section 7A indicates?

e) Re: documents - is there any sense in going 'above and beyond' what the document requirements state? So - I am assuming that bills/formal correspondence in her/my/our names and our marriage certificate should be sufficient - am I right to do this?

Thank you as always.

Quote Originally Posted by freyter View Post
    Hello to you all,

I have a few queries that I would really appreciate your help with - probably just for reassurance that I'm doing the right thing before my wife and I send off her FLR(M) application form:

I am making a number of assumptions I'd be grateful for your comments on:

a) This will be the first application after her 2 1/2 year initial entry clearance, so I am assuming that I put that this is the first time she is applying for a visa or extension of stay in the category of 'Spouse of a person present and settled in the UK and a biometric immigration document'. This would be a 'first period of leave to remain'.

b) She won't have to apply for her biometric document until this application for FLR has been submitted by us, and the UKVI tell us it's time to do so.

c) Salary requirements don't take overdrafts into consideration (!)

d) We are applying on my salary only - although my wife does work - so do we have to fill out both columns with both her and my work details, as Section 7A indicates?

e) Re: documents - is there any sense in going 'above and beyond' what the document requirements state? So - I am assuming that bills/formal correspondence in her/my/our names and our marriage certificate should be sufficient - am I right to do this?

Thank you as always.
    (a)
    If she applied for a visa to come to the UK as a spouse then this is not her first time to apply for a visa or extension of stay.

(b)
    The FLR(M) application form includes the BRP application. There's no separate application.

(c)
    Salary requirements mean only gross income. UKVI have no interest in expenditure or liabilities.

(d)
    If you wife has an income include it whether or not it's needed for the threshold computation.

(e)
    There's no need to supply any documents that are not required for the application.
    However many people do include all sorts of other documents just to feel extra secure.
    Not needed but a personal choice.
    I've always advised not submit anything that could create unnecessary scrutiny.
    Just follow the immigration rules.

Good luck with the application. In principle it's a formality.

Respected Member
    Thank you for your help, and reassurance.

I am assuming then that when we send the application we will get confirmation back that my wife should then go to the Post Office to provide her prints.

I was/am a bit confused by the wording in Section 2 of the application form.

2.1 -

My wife is applying as

'Spouse of a person present and settled in the UK and a biometric immigration document'

No problem there. but;

2.2 Is this the first time you have applied for a visa or extension of stay in one of the above categories (including previous leave granted as a fiancée...) with your current sponsor?

No, this isn't the first time she has applied with me, but it is the first time she has also applied for a biometric immigration document, with me or with anyone. I am assuming I just put 'no this isn't the first time'...with the biometric document being incidental.

Following on from what you said, I assuming that she isn't applying for a 'First period of leave to remain', even though her initial 2.5 year visa states 'entry clearance' on it (it does also say it's a 'visa spouse/cp')? This would be her 'Second period of leave to remain' she's applying for now?

Again, your guidance around my assumptions is very gratefully received.

Yes your wife is to tick the box for her category of application:-

Spouse of a person present and settled in the UK and a biometric immigration document

She should tick the NO box for:-

Is this the first time you have applied for a visa or extension of stay in one of the above categories (including previous leave granted as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner) with your current sponsor?

Your wife should tick the category

First period of leave to remain (following an initial period of entry clearance as a partner of a settled person, or following an initial period of entry clearance as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of a settled person - 6 months)

Respected Member
    Thanks again, Terpe

Respected Member
    Well, finally go the bank statements through...Now getting everything ready to send off. I am going to put everything into a soft ringbinder...Is that a good way to submit these FLR(M) documents?

I can't see anywhere that we are required to submit photocopies too, unlike the original entry application - can I assume that no photocopies are required?

Many thanks

Respected Member
    Terpe please could I ask what what's the official status whilst the FLR is been processed regarding work. Have you got any official links I could take a look at? Or any advice?

Sheldon

Quote Originally Posted by sheldon1 View Post
    Terpe please could I ask what what's the official status whilst the FLR is been processed regarding work. Have you got any official links I could take a look at? Or any advice?

Sheldon
    Hi Sheldon

This should be helpful in answering your question:-

14.Your status while your application is being considered
    If you and any children under 18 apply before the end of your permitted stay in the UK, your/
    their existing immigration status, including any permission to work, will continue until
    your/their application(s) is/are decided.

This is taken from item 14 in the November 2015 FLR(M) Guidance Notes here:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...otes_11-15.pdf

Respected Member
    Many thanks Terpe:icon

Respected Member
    As this was a thread I stared, I thought I'd add my bit for what it's worth! When we made her employer aware that she was applying for the next 2.5 years of her 5 year leave to remain, My wife (who now has her further leave to remain on the 5-year route) was told by her employer that she had a 28-day grace period, and then she would not be able to work until she had her visa.

That's not the case, of course, as paragraph 14 of the FLR (M) notes which Terpe pointed out to you, confirms.

However, I think her employer was confusing things (having spoken to the employers' immigration helpline, who didn't seem to have helped at all), and was getting its wires crossed with what happens when leave runs out or further leave is actually refused.

If your wife hasn't done so already, perhaps it would be worth directing her employers' attention to that paragraph 14. It prevented any further misunderstandings, and, of course, my wife could continue working until her next leave to remain was approved.

Quote Originally Posted by freyter View Post
    As this was a thread I stared, I thought I'd add my bit for what it's worth! When we made her employer aware that she was applying for the next 2.5 years of her 5 year leave to remain, My wife (who now has her further leave to remain on the 5-year route) was told by her employer that she had a 28-day grace period, and then she would not be able to work until she had her visa.

That's not the case, of course, as paragraph 14 of the FLR (M) notes which Terpe pointed out to you, confirms.

However, I think her employer was confusing things (having spoken to the employers' immigration helpline, who didn't seem to have helped at all), and was getting its wires crossed with what happens when leave runs out or further leave is actually refused.

If your wife hasn't done so already, perhaps it would be worth directing her employers' attention to that paragraph 14. It prevented any further misunderstandings, and, of course, my wife could continue working until her next leave to remain was approved.
    Probably better not to say anything to the employer unless they request update.

Thread Information