Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Brit Savagely Murdered in Philippines

Trusted Member
    That's pretty shocking, but sadly, not too rare an occurence in the Phils.

I don't think I can recall any case where the Phils 'finest' cops were able to arrest and jail perpetrators of such murders of foreigners.

Tourism (referred to in that report) is very unlikely to be affected either.

As expats, we need to maintain a very low profile in that country...is all I will say.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    ?..As expats, we need to maintain a very low profile in that country...is all I will say.
    Anyone thinking of relocating here had better understand that for sure.

Don't be the nail that stands out

Trusted Member
    You take care too Peter. There can be a lot more going on around us than we realise

Two cultures that can seem similar, but in reality... very different 'psyches'.

You take care too Peter. There can be a lot more going on around us than we realise

Two cultures that can seem similar, but in reality... very different 'psyches'.
    Thanks Graham. I fully understand, sometimes it's hard to stay out of the frame.
    I'm really pushing boundaries sometimes but find most folks are OK
    Jealousy is the area to avoid, which mostly is found in cities.
    I haven't found any commonality in behaviour with most people here.

Sometimes when waiting for a jeepney someone will stand right behind me despite plenty of space elsewhere. When I move around and deliberately stand close behind them they really don't like it. I'm always ready

Banned
    be the Grey man

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    be the Grey man
    Oh well ... ... in that case, John Major would be alright in the event he ever felt inclined to visit the Philippines ... being, as he was - frequently portrayed as "the grey man" by ITV's Spitting Image - during his Premiership back in the '90s.

When I hear about foreigners being murdered in the Philippines I like to know the reason why. It seems the deaths that have occured over the past five years since I've been associated with the country have either come from - a) An individual resisting while being mugged b) Ripping off or treading on the toes of a local c) Xenophobia d) Men who have met a Filipina that have a jealous ex boyfriend/current boyfriend lurking in the shadows.

Maybe what Peter said about people sticking out like a sore thumb can be added to that list too.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Oh well ... ... in that case, John Major would be alright in the event he ever felt inclined to visit the Philippines ... being, as he was - frequently portrayed as "the grey man" by ITV's Spitting Image - during his Premiership back in the '90s.
    Major and his plate of garden peas

Plenty of Spitting Image episodes on YouTube

Many of the expat murders are committed in house..
    I`ll say no more!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Many of the expat murders are committed in house..
    I`ll say no more!
    Sorry to ask Fred, what is the meaning of 'in house'?

Michael..In the UK the old bill will usually ask some pretty uncomfortable questions to family members as they are suspects too.. Quite often,especially over here,expat deaths,murders etc were committed by someone in the house where they lived.. Sometimes it was the maid,sometimes it was the boyfriend of the maid,sometimes it was the wife and other times it was the boyfriend of the wife..
    Not saying this is the case here..Just saying its a possibility..
    Personally,I doubt that they will catch anybody but you never know.
    I guess it depends if someone somewhere has the will and the cash to pay the police to find out what the motive was and then catch the scumbag that did it.

Owning a business there attracts attention. You could live quite comfortably out there on a pension and still put money by to make sure your wife is comfortable if anything happens. When I retire there I want to live a simple life. Like many on here I have never had any trouble over there and always got on with the locals.

I understand now Fred, it's just that I've never heard that saying before, thank you!

As expats, we need to maintain a very low profile in that country...is all I will say.
    Good advice

To me keeping a low profile is not about hiding, its been more about blending in to survive and at the same time enjoy my stay.
    I know from experience some Filipinos do not like conflict or losing face. Then on the other foot you have expats who will not compromise because their way and no other is correct. My advice to expats living here would be phrase your words carefully when dealing with possibly explosive situations. It may save your life!

RIP Mr Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Owning a business there attracts attention. You could live quite comfortably out there on a pension and still put money by to make sure your wife is comfortable if anything happens. When I retire there I want to live a simple life. Like many on here I have never had any trouble over there and always got on with the locals.
    Andy, we have owned businesses here for the past 17 years. I am actively involved in the running of these businesses and I have never felt in the slightest way threatened by employees or competitors.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Andy, we have owned businesses here for the past 17 years. I am actively involved in the running of these businesses and i have never felt in the slightest way threatened by employees or competitors.

We might visit again when we go back to the Philippines next year! I'll buy a lot of shoes..hahaha
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post

Andy.. Listen to Jake.
    He knows what he`s talking about and makes a lot of sense..
    I`m forever complementing the people here,usually in their own language.. Whether I really mean it or not is beside the point... It makes them happy and it gives me a few + points..

Andy.. Listen to Jake.
    He knows what he`s talking about and makes a lot of sense..
    I`m forever complementing the people here,usually in their own language.. Whether I really mean it or not is beside the point... It makes them happy and it gives me a few + points..

One of the things that make Filipinos happier is hearing a foreigner speak some Tagalog (or whatever dialects). A lot of videos I've seen trending in the Philippines are foreigners speaking/singing in Tagalog or Bisaya, etc. They find it amusing that these foreigners are trying or learning to communicate in our native language, instead of just requiring the Filipinos to speak in English all the time. No wonder that a lot would always ask you "Do you know or speak any Tagalog?"

I try to teach Keith to speak some Tagalog words. His favorite words: SARAP MANOK..hahahaha..Although he often just remembers the naughty words.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post

One of the things that make Filipinos happier is hearing a foreigner speak some Tagalog (or whatever dialects). A lot of videos I've seen trending in the Philippines are foreigners speaking/singing in Tagalog or Bisaya, etc. They find it amusing that these foreigners are trying or learning to communicate in our native language, instead of just requiring the Filipinos to speak in English all the time. No wonder that a lot would always ask you "Do you know or speak any Tagalog?"

I try to teach Keith to speak some Tagalog words. His favorite words: SARAP MANOK..hahahaha..Although he often just remembers the naughty words.
    Its not always a good thing to learn exactly as they teach you.. This poor American guy works on a ship with a Filipino crew..He copies them parrot fashion with a fantastic accent..It seems that he copied one of his shipmates opinions about the new "Hey Joe 5" craze here right now. Filipino crew members put his efforts on youtube and he gets absolutely slated in the comment section!!
    Poor guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3Ap...ature=youtu.be

Its not always a good thing to learn exactly as they teach you.. This poor American guy works on a ship with a Filipino crew..He copies them parrot fashion with a fantastic accent..It seems that he copied one of his shipmates opinions about the new "Hey Joe 5" craze here right now. Filipino crew members put his efforts on youtube and he gets absolutely slated in the comment section!!
    Poor guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3Ap...ature=youtu.be
    I don't speak Bisaya so I can't understand what this foreigner said. Did he say what he was saying was his Filipino shipmate's views or his? I think a lot got annoyed with the way he expressed himself in that video (and the swearing) not because he speaks fluent Bisaya. Or it's either the guy is being sarcastic and the people commenting didn't get it? He looks arrogant.

As with any person, if you appear arrogant, expect some backlash with the way you project yourself.
    -=rayna.keith=-

I have met many Provincial Filipino`s (in the Jungle) with that arrogant proud type character after they have had a couple of bottles of Red horse..
    Yes they swear a lot and probably the main reason I understand pretty much all the bad Filipino swear words!!
    Its not just how well he speaks the language that rings true..Its the characteristics that come with it that shows to me that he learned extremely well , Parrot fashion from his Provincial shipmates.
    If you learn to speak a language with Filipino roughnecks on a ship,in the middle of an ocean..Thats what you get.
    I think he is very funny myself and yes..It was meant to be humourous IMO!!
    Its a shame that most Filipino`s cant see it that way!

The last time I was on a dating site I added quite a few Tagalog words to my profile and talked about the Philippines but I didn't get any replies. In hindsight it probably wasn't the best tactic to attract British women.

Seriously though, I got a lot of compliments from Filipina's about what I wrote when I did this on one of the Pinay sites.

Respected Member
    Surely just being a whitey is going to make you stick out like a sore thumb
    A high rise condo with good 24 hour security and cctv is what is needed
    Living amongst the locals in some barangy just leaves whitey exposed and vulnerable
    The wifes extended family will not always be around to protect you also
    Many of the murders of foreigns there are committed in ex pats own property
    So spare the bit about integrating into pinoy society
    Being the only whitey in the area might not be the best way forward
    Dont become a sitting duck and dont live anywhere there without decent security
    Ex pats who live there for a few years become complacent about their own security measures
    Pinoys dont seem to realize that whitey needs much more security when living there

Respected Member
    Andy, we have owned businesses here for the past 17 years. I am actively involved in the running of these businesses and I have never felt in the slightest way threatened by employees or competitors.
    You make it sound like a cakewalk
    When I was running an internet shop in Makati I was always looking over my shoulder
    Don't think for one second that your friendly competitors won't have you blown away if you become too successful
    Sorry to inform you but yes that's how business operates in the Philippines

After reading all these posts, I will now feel a little uneasy when I go to Philippines again, just won't talk to anyone!

Trusted Member
    I don't speak Bisaya so I can't understand what this foreigner said. Did he say what he was saying was his Filipino shipmate's views or his? I think a lot got annoyed with the way he expressed himself in that video (and the swearing) not because he speaks fluent Bisaya. Or it's either the guy is being sarcastic and the people commenting didn't get it? He looks arrogant.

As with any person, if you appear arrogant, expect some backlash with the way you project yourself.
    It's getting harder for poriners to pick up a bit of Tagalog before visiting the Phils, now that everyone tends to write in 'textspeak' on social media sites, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post
    You make it sound like a cakewalk
    When i was running an internet shop in Makati i was always looking over my shoulder
    Don't think for one second that your friendly competitors won't have you blown away if you become too successful
    Sorry to inform you but yes that's how business operates in the Philippines
    Where did I say it was a cakewalk?
    Starting and running a successful business in any country is hard work. If it was that easy everybody would do it!
    I have met a few foreigners with a huge wedge of cash, and grand ideas of doing business in the Philippines their way. Most end up going home broke and blame it on someone else. They seem to easily forget they never spent anytime actually running the business.
    You seem to be an expert on business in the Philippines. Tell me exactly how long did ‘you’ run a computer shop in Makati? I’m also curious to know how long you lived here and in what areas? I respect your privacy, however giving a rough idea would suffice!

We might visit again when we go back to the Philippines next year! I'll buy a lot of shoes..hahaha
    You are more than welcome to stay this time, however the Jacuzzi is still at the planning stage Don’t buy too much, I might become successful and have a target on my back

You are more than welcome to stay this time, however the Jacuzzi is still at the planning stage Don’t buy too much, I might become successful and have a target on my back
    Hahahaha..If my uncle's condo would be finished by the time we arrive there, you don't have to worry about the jacuzzi! My dad said that when we have our holiday, we'll all go to Liliw coz my aunts and cousins are planning to buy new shoes..so you might have lots of buyers next time.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information