Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Question Visa for a European Cruise

Hi all

A friend of mine is coming over to the UK with his Filipina wife.
    He's a Brit but lives in the Peens.

He would really like to go on a short cruise up to the Norwegian fjords, which I think only has one maybe two brief stops, as the cruise is only about 8 or 9 days anyway.

His wife has a visa for the UK, but does anyone know if she can embark from the UK on a cruise without a valid visa for any of the ports en route?
    Logically speaking my guess would be that she would just have to stay on board, but logic doesn't always prevail in these circumstances.
    If she does want to get off is it a bit of a tall order getting a Norwegian visa for what amounts to a day trip?

I know she has had no trouble getting visas for EU countries over the last couple of years and I think she currently has a visa for multiple trips to the UK over a given time period.

Any help appreciated.

Well if she's not yet a British Citizen then ideally she'd need a Schengen visa for Norway. If the wife of your friend needs one she should apply from the Phils.

Going on the idea of staying on board the ship might sound like a reasonable idea but I've a feeling there's a good chance your wives may be refused embarkation.
    Best suggestion is to check with the cruise line itself and secure any positive confirmations in writing.
    It's a murky area.

Hopefully you'll update us on the cruise line and their decision as the outcome of these issues are always interesting.

Some countries operate a type of visa-waiver scheme for cruise passengers if the passengers only visit as part of the tour operators organised trip and sleep on board the ship.

Hi Terpe

Thanks for the feedback. She has no intention of becoming a British citizen, having her own business in the Peens and being perfectly happy there. Her husband though has a flat in London and likes to come here as often as he can. Whenever she comes with him she gets a tourist visa, although it seems to be one where she has so many days (180?) and can come in and out of the UK within that visa's period.

I certainly will let you know what happens.
    It also begs the question, can a British citizen get on a cruise ship without a passport, on the understanding he won't get off? After all, the foreign port wouldn't let him in anyway!

cheers
    Anakin

Hi Anakin, anyone boarding a vessel that will sail in international waters must carry a valid passport, also his wife would require a valid visa for any country the vessel may call in.

No (or nearly no?) ship lets you embark without proper visa's for all the ports it will visit, even if you do not want to leave the ship while it's in port.So she would need a Schengen visa.
    Being the wife of an EU citizen such a visa could apply for from PH (prefered route), UK or even elsewhere with the Noregian embassy or the embassy that represents them. Such a visa should be issued ASAP, completely free of any costs and with minimal documentation: evidence of marriage (marital papers, preferably legalized by the PH authorities and an official translation into English) , evidence of ID of the PH and UK national (passports) and that the wife joins the UK spouse (a written statement should be enough, but if they already have a booking reservation include that aswell).

More info on free visa's for EU family members:
    - http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...y/index_en.htm
    - http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ina-wife/page4
    - http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....visa-for-Spain (it's on Spain but the rules are exactle the same, based on freedom of movement Direcitive 2004/38/EC and the Schengen Visacode).

In theory the non-EU spouse traveling with the EU spouse to an other EU/EEA (European Economic Area) country are to be given sort of a VIP treatment, with fast processing, no costs and almosts no requirements.In practise not all embassies or staffers do honour this approach though. In which case you could either play along, complain and point out their mistakes or get the EU ombudsman Solvit involded.

Thanks Abigail and Donutz, sorry just logged on and seen these replies.

Donutz that's particularly helpful info. I hadn't even considered that Norway would be linked in through the EEA.

cheers!
    Anakin

Thread Information