Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Paying your way

Paying your way

How much would you charge your children if they was working and earning good money , we all have to help out these days, so what would you charge for the board, food is included and all they buy is there cloths and personal hygiene stuff too, everything else is included in there board

Trusted Member
    When I first started work at 16, and living at home (til 18), my mother used to take £3.50 a week from my £7.00 a week take home pay.

With my own son, I just accepted enough to cover some food and fuel. Not much...maybe 20 quid a week.

Really, I felt bad taking his money.

He's been for his interview with the RAF today.

How time changers Graham, my first pay packet £17 out of that £9 board , now my kids are bringing home over £1000 a month,
    Good luck to your son

Trusted Member
    Thanks Steve.

Depends how soft you are with them. After all they are still your kids. Its a tricky one.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Yes good luck to your son Graham, he's chosen a great career. My first wage was £1-10s and my Mum took the £1 for my board which left me ten bob spending money!

Andy , thats one thing i am not soft,
    What started this of is i said your boards going up in May, WHY was what i got, well everything is going up and you are eating me out of the house too, i have just got to think what the amount will be, i can see its going to be a quite time from them till May

Trusted Member
    It's good to teach them good money management and a sense of responsibility...at the same time letting them know how much it costs to run a home, so that they don't feel resentful at being asked to contribute.

My Daughter is the one who is going to buy the house from us once we decide when to go, and we have agreed a price what she will pay for this too, no interest to pay just a set figure until i say thats enough, she use to rent before she came here so she knows how the world runs too, but like anything in life when a bill goes up none of us like it

Steve.. Cant you just put it up with the UK`s yearly inflation figures?
    If they dont believe you..Tell them to look it up. That`ll learn them!
    When my Mum asked for board and lodging (a fiver) I couldnt understand what it was for.. I mean they had fed and housed me for the pleasure of my company my whole life till up until that point!
    I thought she was joking at first!

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Steve.. Cant you just put it up with the UK`s yearly inflation figures?
    If they dont believe you..Tell them to look it up. That`ll learn them!
    When my Mum asked for board and lodging (a fiver) I couldnt understand what it was for.. I mean they had fed and housed me for the pleasure of my company my whole life till up until that point!
    I thought she was joking at first!
    now that is funny

Trusted Member
    Haha...yes, I remember feeling the same way Fred.

Trusted Member
    They never asked me back after I left home though.

I paid them around a third of my wages.

My first wages £4/12/9 every Thursday of witch my stepmother gave me 5/- and I was scolded because I had none left by Sunday.

Trusted Member
    I remember when I got my first paper round...early mornings...6 mornings a week.

My pay was 10 shillings a week.

My mother then stopped my 10/- pocket money because I was working !

Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    My first wages £4/12/9 every Thursday of witch my stepmother gave me 5/- and I was scolded because I had none left by Sunday.
    ... Eh? Five bob out of £4-12s-9d? ... must've been a 'witch', your stepmother!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    How much would you charge your children if they was working and earning good money , we all have to help out these days, so what would you charge for the board, food is included and all they buy is there cloths and personal hygiene stuff too, everything else is included in there board
    That must be worth £100 a week and that will teach them to respect money

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I think Jamie hit the nail on the head, 1/3 of the wage seems about right!

Respected Member
    If they are saving to move into their own home then I would take less/nothing. If they are just living with you and have no plans to get their own place/be self sufficient in the near future then at £1000 a month salary I think £200 ish a month is fair for a parent to charge (it would cost them twice that for the benefits they get 'at home').

We have some neighbours with grown up kids living at home. Apparently they are saving for their own places, but a recently acquired 12 plate Mini convertible and a 13 plate 120D say otherwise in my book. Its none of my business whether they stay or pay any rent but I find it amusing when I hear that they are saving...

Firstly i hope the Interview went well Graham.

Steve, when i was married and had my own home i was the sole wage earner, the lazy youngest stepson never gave a penny for anything, to this day he never gives my ex a single penny.

Definately you need to be asking your Kids to make a contribution, if only to teach them things have to be paid for, nothing is free in this life. I would suggest 25/30% of what they earn is a fair amount that way they pay an equal % amount, if they are NOT happy you can always suggest that they know where the door is, if people DONT ask there kids to contribute there is always the chance they will never want to fly the nest, and then when they do need to stand on there own two feet they will struggle to make ends meet, paying towards there keep helps to teach them thrift, and not to go wasting there salaries etc etc.

my first wage was £12, i opened it myself, i got a rousting because i didnt hand it over unopened,

they gave me £3 back, i got the , well we fed you all your life, the family allowance is now stopped

i went and got myself a bedsit room, left home, had a great time

Hmm ... I started work straight from school on March 1st 1961, my Mum's 45th birthday. Yes, 54 years ago ! Yet I do still remember my first salary - £250 per annum (paid monthly) - as junior clerk in the Foreign Department at the General Accident, Fire & Liife Assurance Corporation's Head Office in Perth.

Can't seem to recall how much of this princely amount I handed over to my parents, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Hmm ... I started work straight from school on March 1st 1961, my Mum's 45th birthday. Yes, 54 years ago ! Yet I still remember my first salary - £250 per annum (paid monthly) - as a junior clerk in the Foreign Department at General Accident, Fire & Liife Assurance Corporation's Head Office in Perth.

Can't seem to recall how much of this princely amount I handed over to my parents, though.
    Now ... when it came to my own kids, ... um ... well, my daughter, after taking her 'Highers' (the Scottish equivalent to "A" Levels) studied for 4 years at Glasgow University and, due to my being the sole breadwinner, she received a student grant which barely paid for her tuition fees and shared accommodation. Whereas, my son, who's two years younger, was on a YTS placement.

Later on, however, he got a decent job and, continuing to live at home, paid for his keep. Again ... ... I forget how much he contributed to the household.

But I do know we were satisfied it was adequate.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    When I was working in Makati before I came to UK, I usually give my mum 10,000 pesos per payday, so that's 20,000 pesos a month. Plus I do some grocery shopping of around 2k-3k pesos per payday, depending on my mood.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

My son was supposed to pay me £200 a month towards the household bills, he always did his own cooking (as doesn't like filipino food) so got most of his own food apart from eggs , rice etc.
    He seemed to get it into his head that he didn't need to pay me so in February i told him he needed to find his own place (well he is 20 now). Now in his own place he is paying £600 a month rent plus bills. Happy with his independence but i bet he wishes now he had paid me and at least i no longer have to tolerate his lifestyle. A difficult decision for me to ask him to leave but, i believe, the right one in the long term as i am confident he will learn to manage both himself and finances better than when he was living with me as he had no idea of what it costs to live.

Thread Information