Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Driving in the Philippines - UK licence

Hi

I've read I can drive for 3 months without getting an international driving permit? Is that true?

Or should I get the permit?

What about insurance? Is that an option / worth getting?

Edit: just found this link and looks like IDP not even required

http://liveinthephilippines.com/cont...l-driver-what/

Thanks

I hired a car from Hertz last time I was there for just over a month. I was told that a permit was required for over 90 days, I sure they wouldn't rent it to me if it was against the law

what did you hire and the cost too Simon

Anyone need a self drive car here in Bohol....Use this company.. Highly recommend.
    From 1,800 PHP per day... Very professional and car delivered at airport.. You can tell immediately it is not a Filipino business.

http://www.u-drivebohol.com/

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Anyone need a self drive car here in Bohol....Use this company.. Highly recommend.
    From 1,800 PHP per day... Very professional and car delivered at airport.. You can tell immediately it is not a Filipino business.

http://www.u-drivebohol.com/
    Similar to UK price!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Similar to UK price!
    Perhaps but I dont think you will find cheaper here.. The normal rate I have seen is over 2k per day..(usually 2,500)
    In Alona they are charging 500.00 for a moped!
    Also,its not easy to find self drive hire here..Most hire`s come with a Filipino driver.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    The only thing we don't like with most self-driven car hires in Manila is they require you to leave your passport with them (especially if you're a foreigner). They would not accept photocopies of it either. Good thing we don't have to hire a car anymore. Last time we were in Manila, we borrowed one of my aunt's cars. Next time we go back, there'll be plenty of options from my family.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    what did you hire and the cost too Simon
    A Toyota Camry which was about £1000 for the month if memory serves me correctly

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Perhaps but I dont think you will find cheaper here.. The normal rate I have seen is over 2k per day..(usually 2,500)
    In Alona they are charging 500.00 for a moped!
    Also,its not easy to find self drive hire here..Most hire`s come with a Filipino driver.
    On the three or four times I've toured Bohol, I've always found a driver with a decent car near the port and booked him for an early pick up next day for p1500 and lunch on the river restaurant, always had a good driver and a full twelve hour day!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    The only thing we don't like with most self-driven car hires in Manila is they require you to leave your passport with them (especially if you're a foreigner). They would not accept photocopies of it either. Good thing we don't have to hire a car anymore. Last time we were in Manila, we borrowed one of my aunt's cars. Next time we go back, there'll be plenty of options from my family.
    I have never been asked to leave my passport when renting a car. I rent at the airport each time we visit. EuRopcar. I would never leave my passport with anyone like this.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trefor View Post
    I have never been asked to leave my passport when renting a car. I rent at the airport each time we visit. EuRopcar. I would never leave my passport with anyone like this.
    Europcar is expensive (and the likes of Hertz) and we haven't used them. The car hire companies I have inquired in the past all required us to leave a passport with them and I had to haggle to just leave any of my IDs and they were refusing. Most of these companies are based in Makati CBD. Good thing we won't have any problems in the future with hiring cars because we have quite a few to choose from now in our family. And hopefully on our next visit, we won't have to worry about hotels as well.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Respected Member
    Europcar works out around £25 a day for a 1-2 week rental of a Vios. I decided that knowing the quality/safety of the car plus the hassle of getting to/from an offsite location meant paying a few quid more was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    On the three or four times I've toured Bohol, I've always found a driver with a decent car near the port and booked him for an early pick up next day for p1500 and lunch on the river restaurant, always had a good driver and a full twelve hour day!
    Not any more!

Thread Information