Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Passport application

Hi, i wonder if anybody here has experienced the same dillema im experiencing right now.
    I applied for my first british passport 3weeks ago and received a letter that i cant be issued a passport because my Philippine passport is on a different name, which was still on my single name, to the one i am applying for now, which im applying it to be on my married name. I was initially given 2 options, either apply for new Phil passport under my married name to which Phil. Embassy said not an option since im already a brit citizen, or get my passport cancelled by the Phil embassy and letter stating that passport is cancelled and my citizenship is renounced.

I was told by the case worker from Passport Office that the latter is the only option i got and they wouldnt acknowledge my marriage cert nor the fact that my previous name is stated on my naturalisation cert as well..

Can anybody give me any insight on this? If i dont have a choice then i dont have a choice but juz wondering if i do have one to save me travelling for 3hrs to get to london.

Thanks

Respected Member
    I was in your situation late last year when I applied for my British Passport.

Im so sorry this is happening to you and I hope you get it sorted out.

So are you saying the phil embassy in London will only issue a Philippine passport in your married name before you become a British citizen ?

Respected Member
    What I did was,

1. I rang solicitors near me and told them about that letter from the Passport Office. I rang a few to compare prices and processing time.
    2. The solicitor asked for my Identification and proof of address and photo copied them.
    3. Went back to picked the document I double checked before I signed the paper then they gave me the original and 4 extra copies.
    4. I sent it back to the Passport Office together with my hand written letter stating that I am using my married name on my British passport as well as my Philippine Passport when I want to renounce my Citizenship in the future. I also include Identifications and Utility bills with my married name.

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    I changed my first names and surname in UK about 30 years ago, under the Common Law right to do so.

See the extract below.

I got a letter from a police officer who had known me for a few years who said I had changed my name. With that I got a new passport in the new name with no reference to my birth name. I then changed everything else to my new name without any documentation proof whatsoever.

9 years ago I got married in Manila in my new name, albeit that I produced my birth cert in my birth name (that is the only doc which cannot be change). The Consul said I could not use my new name. I sent an Email to the Home Office who put a flea in his ear. When I went back, there was no problem.

A couple of years ago I took up my right to Irish Nationality and have a passport in my new name too. Again I poduced my birth cert and expalined I had excersied my right to change my name. No problem.

I think (know) the advice you were given at the Passport office is wrong and that you need to ask to speak to a supervisor.

In UK there is not law which says one can change their name but also there is no law which says one cannot. So one can. Deed Poll is not a way of changing one’s name but a record that one has done so. A woman changing her name on marriage does not do by any law but by ‘normal practice.’

See here for more info:-

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/..._your_name.htm

How to change your name

If you wish to be known by a different name you can change your name at any time, provided you do not intend to deceive or defraud another person. There is no legal procedure to follow in order to change a name. You simply start using the new name. You can change your forename or surname, add names or rearrange your existing names.

Although there is no legal way to change a name, you may want evidence that you have changed your name (see under heading Evidence of change of name). However, you cannot change details on your birth certificate, except in limited circumstances.

Respected Member
    On my part I understand the side of the Passport Office that they cannot issue a British Passport if my Philippine Passport has a different name.

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    In UK there is no problem having more than one nationality. I have UK and Irish and a passport for each.

If you are going to change your name on your Philippines PP then there is an sure no reason you cannot get a UK PP in whatever name you have chosen to be known by.

Quote Originally Posted by cheekee View Post
    Im so sorry this is happening to you and I hope you get it sorted out.

So are you saying the phil embassy in London will only issue a Philippine passport in your married name before you become a British citizen ?
    -----
    Seems like it but to be quite honest the staff in philippine embassy has kinda let me down as they told me they were going to ring me as they're not sure of this whole cancellation of passport but they never not to mention i had to ring them 3x waited for almost an hour for someone to pick up the phone..

Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    I changed my first names and surname in UK about 30 years ago, under the Common Law right to do so.

See the extract below.

I got a letter from a police officer who had known me for a few years who said I had changed my name. With that I got a new passport in the new name with no reference to my birth name. I then changed everything else to my new name without any documentation proof whatsoever.

9 years ago I got married in Manila in my new name, albeit that I produced my birth cert in my birth name (that is the only doc which cannot be change). The Consul said I could not use my new name. I sent an Email to the Home Office who put a flea in his ear. When I went back, there was no problem.

A couple of years ago I took up my right to Irish Nationality and have a passport in my new name too. Again I poduced my birth cert and expalined I had excersied my right to change my name. No problem.

I think (know) the advice you were given at the Passport office is wrong and that you need to ask to speak to a supervisor.

In UK there is not law which says one can change their name but also there is no law which says one cannot. So one can. Deed Poll is not a way of changing one’s name but a record that one has done so. A woman changing her name on marriage does not do by any law but by ‘normal practice.’

See here for more info:-

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/..._your_name.htm

How to change your name

If you wish to be known by a different name you can change your name at any time, provided you do not intend to deceive or defraud another person. There is no legal procedure to follow in order to change a name. You simply start using the new name. You can change your forename or surname, add names or rearrange your existing names.

Although there is no legal way to change a name, you may want evidence that you have changed your name (see under heading Evidence of change of name). However, you cannot change details on your birth certificate, except in limited circumstances.

-----
    The case worker spoke to his manager and unfortunately that was the only solution ive got..

I told the case worker that phil embassy has told me to just punch whole it since i wont be able to use if its damages but i guess passport office is just covering their backs..

Guess i dont have a choice but to go down to london. Thanks for the advice

Respected Member
    no idea what happens in britian but would have thougt your philippine passport wouldnt have bearing on a british passport ,your applying as british citizen based on your naturilazation and marriage to a british citizen hopefully one of the experts on these matters can find solution

Thread Information