Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Banned

A&E cases would fall by 2 million a year if GP surgeries were open 7 days

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3020543/What-surprise-E-cases-fall-two-million-year-GP-surgeries-open-seven-days-week.html

Nothing new here the GPs bit Labours hand off for the 2004 contract paying them huge amounts more to work less and then start up their Limited Company out of hours services

Before Joe starts on about what a tough life GP's have read this comment from a DM reader :-

"My Father was a GP, and I recall that 6/7 days a week he would be at the surgery, or doing home and hospital visits, and was regularly called out in the middle of the night. He loved the job and taught me that the needs of the patient MUST always be paramount! Including me he had two other sons and two daughters, all of whom became Doctors/Surgeons and all followed his ethos - the patient always comes first, to which I added, "even if they drive me up the wall!"!

and then scandalous comments like this one :-

"our practice even shuts its doors for lunch. I mean is this the 21st century or what because its like the dark ages. They shut up on a Friday at 6pm and shut all weekend and an hour for lunch everyday, Ridiculous!!"

I can't even get an appointment at my surgery.

You are supposed to call at 08:30 in the morning to get one.

I managed to get through at 08:33 and they were all gone. Has happened to me many times.

I wonder how many surgery hours are lost due to patients not turning up for their appointments?
    my surgery in put a monthly notice up showing lost surgery time due to patients not turning up and not bothering to cancel their appointments,
    there was also one for surgery nurses too

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    I wonder how many surgery hours are lost due to patients not turning up for their appointments,
    my surgery in put a monthly notice up showing lost surgery time due to patients not turning up and not bothering to cancel their appointments,
    there was also one for surgery nurses too
    Patients should get a warning letter if they keep doing it and then their place at the surgery reviewed.

Hate timewasters in the NHS.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekee View Post
    I can't even get an appointment at my surgery.

You are supposed to call at 08:30 in the morning to get one.

I managed to get through at 08:33 and they were all gone. Has happened to me many times.
    I can't fault our surgery, no probs getting a normal appointment or one in a few hours/same day if urgent. They've just reacted quickly over the phone to a repeat prescription request my wife forgot to make. They obviously put the patient first and aren't clogged up with a load of health tourists/Eastern Europeans/"asylum seekers"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekee View Post
    Patients should get a warning letter if they keep doing it and then their place at the surgery reviewed.

Hate timewasters in the NHS.

Trusted Member
    Two weeks waiting at my (new) local surgery.

I will do a search for a local witch doctor...can't bear the thought of waiting in A&E next to dozens of drunks, junkies, health tourists and workshy gluttons for 5 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    I can't fault our surgery, no probs getting a normal appointment or one in a few hours/same day if urgent. They've just reacted quickly over the phone to a repeat prescription request my wife forgot to make. They obviously put the patient first and aren't clogged up with a load of health tourists/Eastern Europeans/"asylum seekers"
    Think my surgery may well be clogged with suchlike.

May look for a new surgery soon.

Give it time, the Romanians are coming to your neck of the woods.

Banned
    You're 12 months out of date Andy they're all settled in London, Slough or your neighbourhood

Not many immigrants where I live Ded they know they are not welcome. We have ways and means of keeping them at bay. Somehow by accident around our way the Muslims hijabs keep coming off. , Eastern Europeans keep getting flat tyres on their cars. We haven't got a clue who does this.

At least you'll have a choice of car washes to pick from down there in multicultural Berkshire, Ded.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    At least you'll have a choice of car washes to pick from down there in multicultural Berkshire, Ded.
    Never use them Jamie - I couldn't be seen to be supporting illegal immigrants besides which I'm quite happy with unscratched bodywork

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Not many immigrants where I live Ded they know they are not welcome. We have ways and means of keeping them at bay. Somehow by accident around our way the Muslims hijabs keep coming off. , Eastern Europeans keep getting flat tyres on their cars. We haven't got a clue who does this.
    I'll never lambast your neighbourhood again Andy

Trusted Member
    A + E cases MIGHT fall by 2 million / year IF GP surgeries were open 7 days a week – according to the Mail report on a few areas of England where it’s been possible to open surgeries at weekends.

• We ALL have views on health and illness based on personal experience. Both my parents were GPs ; graduating during the Second World War ; dedicated ; well respected ; with very few critical patients ; and never sued. There were far fewer female doctors then compared to now. Half of the UK’s 65,000 GPs are now female ; just over ¾ gained their first qualification in the UK ; and the rest elsewhere in the EEA or internationally.

• We still have a NATIONAL Health Service in the UK – mostly free where and when it’s needed, costing over £ 140 billion annually ( over £ 2,000 per capita ), and the envy of other countries like the Philippines - where if you can’t afford health care you can’t see a doctor ANY time, never mind weekends, and you stay ill ( or worse ) . Each of the UK’s political parties are making different " promises ", not entirely explicit, for our NHS.

• Another difference to my parents’ era is low morale and bad press, which discourages young doctors from general practice – a good salary is NOT the main motive for entering medicine . Six in ten older GPs are considering early retirement ; one in eight GP training places in England go unfilled ; and about one in five Scottish GP practices report at least one vacancy.

• Both Conservative and Labour parties claim their policies will reduce attendances at emergency departments ( about 22 million last year in England alone ).

• Common sense suggests improved access to general practice over time might be associated with reduced use of other services, and better health outcomes ( such as lower rates of emergency admissions for conditions like heart failure and stroke ). However, we don’t yet know this for certain – and there may be unintended consequences, like " supply-induced demand " ( including more time wasters with trivial complaints, and non-attenders ).

• Promises on the GP workforce seem unlikely to be achieved within a parliamentary term. In the meantime, general practice remains a " precious jewel " ; " the best job in the world " ( at least to some GPs ) ; and still well respected by the majority of the UK public.

• Health is much more than the absence of disease !

1. Get fitter

2. Focus on the present

3. Be thankful and positive

4. Help others

5. These might reduce the 300 million ( + ) GP consultations in England alone last year !

• The Mail is not the only, or best, source of information on OUR health service .

More informed articles may be seen here :-

http://www.bmj.com/content/350/bmj.h1513

http://www.bmj.com/content/350/bmj.h1721

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...lltext?rss=yes

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1411429

Heard on the news today that you may be able to contact your doctor via Skype instead of visiting the surgery.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    Heard on the news today that you may be able to contact your doctor via Skype instead of visiting the surgery.

Well isn't that handy, my wife will be impressed sent by GP to A & E at 12.30 pm today put on bed in EDDU side room at 3pm naff all done by 3rd world doctors till 7pm when a simple 10 min procedure was carried out. Muggins went over at 7.15pm departed at 8.30pm rather than feed the car park machine when told they would assess her for discharge at 10.15pm. She's quite happy chit chatting to her fellow Pinay nurses

Nothing new here the GPs bit Labours hand off for the 2004 contract paying them huge amounts more to work less and then start up their Limited Company out of hours services

Before Joe starts on about what a tough life GP's have read this comment from a DM reader :-

"My Father was a GP, and I recall that 6/7 days a week he would be at the surgery, or doing home and hospital visits, and was regularly called out in the middle of the night. He loved the job and taught me that the needs of the patient MUST always be paramount! Including me he had two other sons and two daughters, all of whom became Doctors/Surgeons and all followed his ethos - the patient always comes first, to which I added, "even if they drive me up the wall!"!

and then scandalous comments like this one :-

"our practice even shuts its doors for lunch. I mean is this the 21st century or what because its like the dark ages. They shut up on a Friday at 6pm and shut all weekend and an hour for lunch everyday, Ridiculous!!"
    what's a huge amount of money dedworth ? name the figure
    so all GP's have set up limited companies you really need to stop reading the snail.

the good old days dedworth is that when we use to send kids down the mines and up chimneys

people should work thru their lunch, dedworth you've no idea because you've never worked in a surgery, yes many do shut for lunch, in fact that's the time when they go out on visits

when do you think they go visiting patients in their home ? when do you think they do paper work, while they are seeing a patient ? you've no idea and neither has the snail

most places shut at the weekend, have you been to a dentist on a Saturday ? at least you have a walk in centre you can go to , or if your that ill go to hospital
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned

You're repeating yourself Joe I've heard it all before

You're repeating yourself Joe I've heard it all before
    err a 'new' post by you from another mail story, that they've printed more times than 'top gear' has been repeated on Dave.

I thought your with bupa dedworth, why use the NHS then

tell me what a typical day is for a NHS GP seeing your such a expert
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Thread Information