Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: The Debut

The Debut

The Debut is it a coming of age party or is it a beat the Jones party, so much is spent on 1 party and what is it for? Most of the people who do these go into so much debt just to give a party to people that don't give a damn or am I wrong? I can think of a lot better ways to spend half the amount on

Part of me agrees that debuts are a great for representing the transition to "adulthood" (even though eighteen is FAR from being an adult - exhibit A: college/university freshmen). I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to celebrate that fantasy of having freedom and independence - we all wanted it as young teens.

But yes, the other side of me does agree that money can be better spent. I think debuts nowadays has lost it's true value. People want to out-do each other, and that's not what it's about.

To most, it is a tradition. It's hard to kill traditions.

Respected Member
    When is comes to family gatherings, parties, marriages or any other so called social events, I would want to spend as little money as possible if I was paying the bill....

If someone else is paying the bill then lets max it out big time and really push the boat out

The ones that think these events are such great ideas rarely pay the bill...................

I'm a tightwad when it comes to having parties that I even ask friends to bring a dish each time I'm having one

When it comes to debut I prefer to give my kids choices to have either money or having a party as a gift and they can't have both!!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Never heard of a Debut or the other Jones thing!

If I reach 65 I'll be having a 'Debut bash' with unli SM

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    If I reach 65 I'll be having a 'Debut bash' with unli SM
    I'm sure you will go well beyond 65 as you seem very content with your life Peter. Forgive my ignorance, but what is unli SM?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    I'm sure you will go well beyond 65 as you seem very content with your life Peter.....
    Thankyou Michael, I hope so. I've been extremely lucky in my life in terms of health and fitness. As a carer for my dad in his final years I'm only too aware of how fragile that can be as we get older.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is unli SM?
    Hahaha, we also got very confused when first faced with this too....
    unli rice sir ?
    unli texts, unli this and unli that.

It simply means Unlimited

As for SM, that's San Miguel beer.
    I'm hunting out the cheapest source. Currently I'm buying from a local 'wholesaler' just down the road.
    The minimum sale is a crate of six 1 litre bottles which costs me P342
    I doubt they're buying direct from San Miguel so my target is to find out where they buy from.

Thankyou Michael, I hope so. I've been extremely lucky in my life in terms of health and fitness. As a carer for my dad in his final years I'm only too aware of how fragile that can be as we get older.

Hahaha, we also got very confused when first faced with this too....
    unli rice sir ?
    unli texts, unli this and unli that.

I'm hunting out the cheapest source. Currently I'm buying from a local 'wholesaler' just down the road.
    I doubt they're buying direct from San Miguel so my target is to find out where they buy from.
    Thanks for the reply and hope you find the whereabouts of your intoxicating fluid

Banned

Today I bought 60 LIDL Perlenbacher Premium Pilsner 500ml, Brewed in Germany for Ł50.40 less voucher spend Ł50 get Ł10 off equates to Ł0.67 each. Not as cheap as your SM Light Terpe but your pop doesn't comply to the Reinheitsgebot They've been chilling in the fridge so I'm just about to crack one or two open

Trusted Member
    Debut ? What's that then ?

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Debut ? What's that then ?
    Debut ... is a performer's first public appearance, Graham.

But ... ... I suspect you'd already known that!

Trusted Member
    Which performer ?

Never heard of a Debut or the other Jones thing!
    Michael ... see my previous post for the meaning of debut.

And secondly, the phrase, "Keeping up with the Jones's" is often applied to people who try their damndest/work their s off to maintain a standard of living equal to - or better than - their close neighbours [usually] in terms of possessions (e.g., new car, etc.) owned by the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post

And secondly, the phrase, "Keeping up with the Jones's" is often applied to people who try their damndest/work their s off to maintain a standard of living equal to - or better than - their neighbours [usually] in terms of possessions (e.g., new car etc) owned by the latter.
    ... greedy, envious buggers, most of 'em. Can't see green cheese!

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Which performer ?
    Could be an artiste of ... well ... ... ANY sort, really - ranging from some first ['n' *last] time ... (*with a mug like hers) > < beauty queen (debutante), a drummer , a , to a stripper or even a sado machoist - take your pick!

... greedy, envious buggers, most of 'em. Can't see green cheese!
    Thank you Arthur, I love the way you explain everything, you're so gifted with words!

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    The Debut is it a coming of age party or is it a beat the Jones party?
    Hmm ... well, Steve, I've tried to provide proper definitions of BOTH - based on my interpretation of each - in #12, 14 & 16, respectively, along with [hopefully] appropriate self-explanatory examples.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    My older sister had a debut party when she turned 18 because it was her choice. When I turned 18, I opted for the money from my parents and just treated my best friends for a free movie and dinner, and I just bought some new clothes with what's left of the money (my younger sister did the same). I don't like going to parties anyway, let alone hosting one (I never even thought of going to Filipino parties every Christmas here in the UK haha) because I usually don't like all the buzz going in it especially if you don't know most of the people there in the first place. Whenever we have family parties in the Philippines, if I'm not in front of the videoke machine singing with my siblings and cousins, I'm just watching TV or sleeping.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Hmm ... well, Steve, I've tried to provide proper definitions of BOTH - based on my interpretation of each - #12, 14 & 16, respectively, along with [hopefully] appropriate self-explanatory examples.
    Depends on who you ask Arthur

The Debut is a traditional Filipino coming-of-age celebration for young women in which it celebrates a young woman's 18th birthday, the age of maturity in the Philippines.

Although also reaching maturity at 18, Filipino men mark their own Debut on their 21st birthday, albeit with less formal celebrations or none at all.
    On their 18th birthday, Filipinos customarily throw a large party, complete with her own hand-picked entourage of 18 individuals or multiple sets of 18. The celebrant's court usually wears a formal uniform.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_Debut

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Depends on who you ask Arthur

The Debut is a traditional Filipino coming-of-age celebration for young women in which it celebrates a young woman's 18th birthday, the age of maturity in the Philippines.

Although also reaching maturity at 18, Filipino men mark their own Debut on their 21st birthday, albeit with less formal celebrations or none at all.
    On their 18th birthday, Filipinos customarily throw a large party, complete with her own hand-picked entourage of 18 individuals or multiple sets of 18. The celebrant's court usually wears a formal uniform.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_Debut
    Ah ... so it's an old Filipino custom/tradition in its own right - aside from the English derivation we're familiar with - then, Jake?

Yes a tradition, but its still there to beat the Jones, or the Ramos

Thread Information