Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Brussels

Brussels

Has anyone traveled to Brussels recently?

My sister and I are off to Brussels on Saturday for four days, and I've been desperately researching things to do, places to go to, and most importantly, restaurants to sample. However, as I've heard, Brussels is a very small place and very few things I've seen online seem to excite me wholeheartedly.

I want to avoid tourist traps and experience part of the trip somewhat as a "local". Any suggestions would be fantastic!

aboard filipino/uk, Angela.

Yes ... my wife and I visited an old friend of mine in Brussels over the course of a weekend during November 2013. We travelled there by Eurostar from St Pancras Rail Terminal adjacent to London Kings Cross Station.

What impressed us most, was its handsome City Square. Then there's the European Parliament Buildings ... where the "Sprouts" have their Headquarters.

Banned
    The beer is first class and it's good to see Belgium in your rear view mirror as you cross into Holland

Take a photo at the Manneken Pis but aviod the scores of overpriced bars and restaurants in and around the nearby Grand-Place

Thanks for the welcome!

I've done some crazy researching today and my mood has changed completely. I'm extremely excited! It looks beautiful and I found some great bloggers who unleashed Brussels secrets.

I can't wait to see the 'flower carpet' at the city square. My Instagram is certainly going to be spammed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    The beer is first class and it's good to see Belgium in your rear view mirror as you cross into Holland

Take a photo at the Manneken Pis but aviod the scores of overpriced bars and restaurants in and around the nearby Grand-Place

Oh my god, words cannot describe the excitement of having hundreds of beers to sample. I'll be on holiday so I have an "excuse" to drink my weight's worth of beer, and eat lots of moules frites!

I've heard about this Manneken Pis - it surprised me a little how it was a "must-see", but saying that, the Little Mermaid in Copenhagen was also a huge sight and had lines of people trying to pose with it!

Eep, I was so excited to hang around Grand-Place, I've researched a lot of hip bars and restaurants around the area. But I suppose, like most cities, the centre is always full of tourists, and tourists = mad money.

Respected Member
    We're in Bruges at the moment. So far I'm very impressed! It's a beautiful city.

We're thinking of spending a day in Brussels too.

Trusted Member
    My brother took his driving test in Brussels.
    Tenuous connection...sorry.

Respected Member
    Hi Angela you might be interested to see the Atomium, next to it is Mini Europe. It is just a metro ride from central station and get off at Heizel station. We also went to Heysel Stadium. My hubby was telling me about the 1985 Disaster and I never had a clue what he is on about. Some Chocolates shops near the town hall offers free samples. That was in 2009 there might be a few changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesey View Post
    We're in Bruges at the moment. So far I'm very impressed! It's a beautiful city.

We're thinking of spending a day in Brussels too.
    Bruges was so lovely! I was there for a day only though. Great little place.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    My brother took his driving test in Brussels.
    Tenuous connection...sorry.

I applaud him. Their road rules didn't seem to make much sense?

Quote Originally Posted by ynwa View Post
    Hi Angela you might be interested to see the Atomium, next to it is Mini Europe. It is just a metro ride from central station and get off at Heizel station. We also went to Heysel Stadium. My hubby was telling me about the 1985 Disaster and I never had a clue what he is on about. Some Chocolates shops near the town hall offers free samples. That was in 2009 there might be a few changes.
    Atomium was part of my list, but unfortunately we didn't get to see it! I had quite a disastrous Sunday, and my sister and I started to feel a little under the weather. But Brussels is cute and some local friends gave us great suggestions. The people were so friendly! And I'd definitely go back for some of their delicious beers.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Hi Angela, what a nice refreshing thread, a very pleasant change, keep em coming!

Banned
    Brugge is nice had some good weekends there - very reasonable & convenient to leave the car in the huge car park under the Zand Square

I've a soft spot for both Brussels and Brugge

Spent many happy hours around Brussels Grand Place.
    Such a good value weekend break on those Eurostar promo deals

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Hi Angela, what a nice refreshing thread, a very pleasant change, keep em coming!
    They're refreshing for now, but will be annoying later!

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Brugge is nice had some good weekends there - very reasonable & convenient to leave the car in the huge car park under the Zand Square
    I really need to make more friends with people who have cars and have the desire to travel around via road! Also a convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I've a soft spot for both Brussels and Brugge.

Spent many happy hours around Brussels Grand Place.
    Such a good value weekend break on those Eurostar promo deals

So I've heard! Unfortunately, we only booked our flights about a week and a half before departure, so the Eurostar was more expensive than flying. I have seen lots of cheap deals on their website though! Gotta take advantage of that at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by angela.f View Post
    So I've heard! Unfortunately, we only booked our flights about a week and a half before departure, so the Eurostar was more expensive than flying.
    Pity ... because - unlike flying - Eurostar affords the opportunity to watch the ever~changing scenery on BOTH sides of the famous English Channel as well as the chance to sample the exciting experience of travelling through the 22-mile long Eurotunnel itself.

Quote Originally Posted by angela.f View Post
    have seen lots of cheap deals on their website though! Gotta take advantage of that at some point.
    Yes, you really should ... they crop up fairly frequently and are usually pointed out by Dedworth, one of the forum's most regular contributors.

Thread Information