Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to site

Newbie (Restricted Access) John slack's Avatar

Talking New to site

Hi my name's John, I'm 22 and living In Derby, I am engaged to my beautiful fiancé Anne, who currently lives in Manila. Would really like help and advice on visas - mainly any savings I need plus money that I/we need to be earning. Also would be great just meeting other Filipino-English couples. Maybe make some friends for when we're finally living together.

Thanks

WOW, so young! Anyway, welcome to the forum John - a local lad too!! Lots of great advice from many people who are on here.
    What visa are you looking for? I hope you have lots of money and/or a very good job too.

Trusted Member
    Welcome to the forum John.

For current visa/sponsor requirements I'd recommend doing a search on the forum first. Plenty of informative threads.

Should have really asked those questions or looked into it more before taking the plunge, John, as the process of bringing a Filipina over can be problematic. Having said that, welcome to the forum. How many times have you been to the Philippines?

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John slack View Post
    Hi my name's John, I'm 22 and living In Derby, I am engaged to my beautiful fiancé Anne, who currently lives in Manila. Would really like help and advice on visas - mainly any savings I need plus money that I/we need to be earning. Also would be great just meeting other Filipino-English couples. Maybe make some friends for when we're finally living together.

Thanks
    Hiya John and welcome to our friendly forum,

If your relying on savings alone then a requirement of £62,500 is needed to sponsor a visa for your loved one thats without any children she may have which would add to that amount.

If your salary is £18,600 or more then you do not have to rely on savings as that amount will suffice for immigration rules.

For example if your income is only £15,000 per annum then there would be a shortfall of £3,600 so under current immigration rules you would have to multiply that by 2.5 (because initial visa is valid for 2 and a half years) then add £16,000 which the government says that is the rate where people are not eligible for benefits so in that case an amount of savings would have to be 2 x £3,600 = £9,000 + £16,000 = £25,000 in savings held for 6 months prior to application.

Sorry if that bamboozles your mind but like what has been said please feel free to view the threads regarding this.

Hope everything works out for you both and don't worry where there's a will there's a way...:

Hi everybody. Yeah that's great! I earn over the required limit so that's a relief as £65k would have been a long shot hahaha.

Stevewool, we're planning for the fiancé visa but after reading a few threads might discuss a little further as we had planned a wedding in Phili.

Ako Si Jamie, I've been over three times now in the last year and planning to fly back out there in a few weeks. I love it over there. It can be crazy at times but you can't beat a Red Horse in the sun.

Anyway, cheers for the advice so far guys, looking forward to becoming a part of the community.

Salamat.

Banned
    Hi John - good luck with your mission. As others have said, there's a mine of information and advice on this forum

Respected Member
    To spend all that money getting someone into the UK and all the added hassle of dealing with British Immigration officials in Manila is enough to put me off..........

I can imagine dealing with a homesick Filipina who hates our weather and gets constant demands for money from her relatives back in the Phils could be a touch testing also

Thanks
    Hello John, welcome aboard Filipino UK

Most of the folks here have followed the same journey that you're facing and have found a wonderful a fulfilling future with their loved one. I'm sure you'll succeed in your quest.

Here's hoping you'll find the time to share you experiences here with us.

Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post
    To spend all that money getting someone into the UK and all the added hassle of dealing with British Immigration officials in Manila is enough to put me off..........

I can imagine dealing with a homesick Filipina who hates our weather and gets constant demands for money from her relatives back in the Phils could be a touch testing also
    Love and true happiness is priceless.
    The overwhelming majority enjoy a fabulous relationship.

Follow your dreams I say and face all challenges.

It's a good job I'm not easily put off then haha. I respect there can be a lot of hassle with the process and some relationships don't work out, but that goes for any relationship whether UK based or long distance.

Anne's family are great - they have never asked me for any money - and have all been so hospitable when I've met them. Admittedly, a few family parties have been overwhelming, but it's nothing a bottle of Emperador hasn't fixed Thanks for such great responses, I feel our goals are a lot more achievable in the short time I've been reading this forum. Speaking to Anne, she's very excited to join the forum now.

Yes, we will keep you posted, and I'm sure there will be plenty more questions coming your way. Thanks again. Maraming salamat po.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    A very warm welcome to the Forum John, and good luck with your quest. After reading your post, I don't think you'll have too many problems. I just wish I'd been your age when I first discovered Philippines!

Trusted Member
    I can only try to imagine the adventures I'd have had if I'd first visited the Phils at 22.

Marriage probably being the last thing on my mind.

Welcome to the forum John, this is a great place for all the help and information you need.

Good luck on your road to happiness.

Welcome to the forum John, and yeah, I can imagine at your age you have a great time in the Phils. Plus, you also have lots of time on your side. Already you have a few things in your favour for either a fiancee or a spouse visa, in that you have been there 3 times, and you meet the financial aspect, so that's 2 down 999 to go ...

John ... welcome to filipino/uk, young man, and all the best with your plans.

John, thanks for the rep, you have come to the right site, everyone on here is very helpful, and welcoming. They will, without a doubt, all be interested to know how things go in the months and years to come. You are a young man and have time on your side which will help you a lot in the years ahead. Just prepare everything by the book, and you shouldn't have too many problems in getting your loved one over here with you.

Here are a few things for your Fiancee to be going on with:

First, SHE will need to register for an account online, with the UKVI. Then you both need a check list and go through the different requirements one step at a time. Then, for the documents, you can either take them out with you, or I recommend sending them out with DHL. Firstly, get your Fiancee booked onto an approved English Language Course. There are details amongst the webpages I have sent below.

Before you start:

You must be outside the UK, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man to apply for your visa.

You need to:

Register for an account
    Fill in the application form in English
    Pay for the visa fee online (in most cases)
    Print out your form
    Book and attend an appointment at a Visa Application Centre.

You must:

Have the original and a photocopy of all the supporting documents you need for your visa
    Translate any supporting documents and include them with the originals if they aren’t in English
    Tuberculosis (TB) test

You may need to get a TB test, depending on where you’re applying from - check if you need a TB test.

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/eligibility

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk...dge-of-english

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk...eed-to-provide

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/apply

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/extend-your-visa

Again, good luck, stay patient and be meticulous with the Documents that they need. The more proof of Skype, YM and Viber Chats that you have, so much the better.

Trusted Member
    Very helpful Harry.
    I tried to give you rep, but need to wait.

Respected Member
    Welcome to the forum. My wife came over on a fiancée visa about 4 years' ago and we are blissfully happy! The visa process is a drawn out exercise. You have to make sure you submit all the right documents and evidence, but it's well worth it!

Anyway, good luck and hope it goes smoothly!

Ako Si Jamie, I've been over three times now in the last year and planning to fly back out there in a few weeks. I love it over there. It can be crazy at times but you can't beat a Red Horse in the sun.
    Prefer San Mig myself but I know what you mean!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    I just wish I'd been your age when I first discovered Philippines!
    Me too. Actually I wish I was still 22.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Very helpful Harry.
    I tried to give you rep, but need to wait.
    Graham48 Its a bit like waiting to get a visa

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Love and true happiness is priceless.
    The overwhelming majority enjoy a fabulous relationship.

Follow your dreams I say and face all challenges.
    I tried it and it backfired on me big time

I just wish someone could have pointed out to me all the pitfalls and hassle before I went ahead with it

Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post
    I tried it and it backfired on me big time

I just wish someone could have pointed out to me all the pitfalls and hassle before i went ahead with it
    LM, Obviously you have been hurt by what happened to you, do you care to share some of the Pitfalls and Hassle that members may face, obviously John would like to know the downside as well as the Garden of Roses, that doesnt always happen.

Trusted Member
    It is imperative that the initial daydreaming is backed up by visits to the prospective partner's country so that a REAL understanding of their culture and values is acquired.

That would be my best advice to a 'newbie'.

Once again guys thanks for great advice Harry t that's great info cheers pal, just to clarify if Were applying for the spouse visa we both have to be outside of the uk at the time we submit the application? And graham yeah that's the only thing we haven't managed yet is having Anne over to England, unfortunate mate slightly selfishly on my part it's more expensive to Holliday here and the weather isn't as good haha the wedding is planned for the April 2016 (only loose dates as we haven't booked any where just yet ) hopefully she will be able to come an spend Christmas this year, chuck her In at the deep end weather wise haha

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Your don't have to be in the Philippines when your gf submits the application for the visa. Although some of the folks here went to the Philippines and accompanied their better halves just to give them support (I mean moral and emotional support). The decision will solely based on all the documents you both will submit, so you need to make sure you comply with the requirements.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

John, No, it's Anne your Wife to be - who will be your Spouse by then - that will apply. You can be wherever you want to be, either here in the UK or in the Philippines, you just have to help supply Anne with all the Documentation that's needed.

Just a word of advice when you get married in Phils: Allow yourself a minimum of 3 weeks for the wedding to take place. You can't just arrive in Phils and get married in a few days, there are certain procedures that you have to go through first. One of them, I know for a fact, takes 10 days. If you look under the section 'Courting, Relationships and Weddings' there is a Topic (CENOMAR, CNI and Marriage in the Philippines) this covers everything you need to know.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry T View Post
    John, No, its Anne your Wife-to-be - who will be your Spouse by then - that will apply. You can be wherever you want to be, either here in the UK or in the Philippines, you just have to help supply Anne with all the Documentation that's needed.

Just a word of advice: When you get married in Phils, allow yourself a minimum of 3 weeks for the wedding to take place. You can't just arrive in Phils and get married in a few days. There are certain procedures that you have to go through first. One of them, I know for a fact, takes 10 days. If you look under the section 'Courting, Relationships and Weddings', there is a Topic (CENOMAR, CNI and Marriage in the Philippines) this covers everything you need to know.
    Paul, I must commend you on all the helpful information that you have passed on to John. Excellent work. I've tried to send you a rep but have to wait at the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Paul, I must commend you on all the helpful information that you have passed on to John. Excellent work. I've tried to send you a rep but have to wait at the moment!
    Paul? ... I thought the bloke you've responded to was called
    Harry!

, Michael ... I don't mean to nitpick ... just curious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information