Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Hobbies? How do you fill your time?

The first month in 'Pinas normally goes quickly, settling in, catching up with old mates, getting your feet under the table. But when you're there for an extended period, how do you fill your time? Do you play golf? Or go native and spend Sundays at Sabong? What is it that keeps you interested? as we all need something to keep the old grey matter turning over

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Not there to have the spare time I am wanting, but out with my camera - and hopefully too - putting some miles on my bike will be on my list

2 hours watering plants. No rain for a month!
    Watch the koi for 30 mins plus pond maintenance..She`s got me building a stud wall and a bar frame out of coco lumber..Have to clad the back tomorrow and put in shelves and then in a few days start the bar top and then build and fit my new Reef tank in the stud wall.. Have a couple of cold ones at lunch time..
    Loads to do everyday.. Apart from me..It never gets old!

Crikey Fred, slow down and have a cold one....

Quote Originally Posted by Longweekend View Post
    Crikey Fred, slow down and have a cold one....
    Thanks.
    Good advice!

There you go, lots to do everyday, you can always find something to do. If you dont, the missus will!

You know it makes sense....

Fred, I thought you would be into diving or some such activity

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Fred I thought you would be into diving or somesuch activity
    I have done in the past..May start again some time in the future but with 2 kids in college...Business comes first!

Trusted Member
    I like hammering and banging and sawing.

Making things? You could do a TESDA carpentry course if you're looking to expand on your skills. They are dirt-cheap courses. I like trekking. I always go to Sabong on a Sunday - there's an excellent mix of characters.

Last Christmas, I went to the new galleria that's just been built, and they gave me and my son front row seats. My kid said, "Dad, I think they think we are high-rolling gamblers and are here to spend loads of cash".

I only go to watch. I looked into parachute jumping but there's no place to do it in Davao, and an international jumper who had done one freefall in Cebu said the company were an accident waiting to happen, so I went to Thailand instead, where the main instructors are South African and an Ozzie.

Trusted Member
    I will look into that...thanks.
    Actually I'm pretty competent, though I say it myself. lol
    5 years studying cabinet making at school definitely helped...though I found it pretty boring at the time.

Been doing quite a lot of research into aquaponics just lately.. Got a fish pond and its like an oasis in a desert at the moment.. Just need to decide how to get all the nutrients from the pond to my Ghost peppers, tomatoes, lettuce etc.

Veg at the market sometimes doubles in price and fish ain't cheap anymore..

If it works out I will farm Tilapia and grow tons of veg for family use.

Anyone done this?

Well funny you should say that Fred.

Growing veg, if you count leaving school and going to work in a market garden for 4 years. Back breaking, but I was young and fit then.

Just as fit now!

Trusted Member
    Fred, that is a subject (and potential business) that fascinates me too. I did quite a lot of research into the various small scale fish-farming methods...combined with growing ornamental (in the rest of the world) aquatic plants. Perhaps vegetables too.

You know, the water alone from your pond will be rich in nutrients for your veggies etc. So all you need is a watering can to give them a boost, before considering more sophicated

Another couple of years and I'll probably be giving it a go in the Phils.

Family history research ... in collaboration with my nephew Stuart, was - for a while - a favourite pastime of mine ... with Stuart doing most of the "spade work". Between us, we've unearthed (if you'll excuse the pun ) records dating as far back as 1789 or thereabouts. ... fascinating stuff!

Respected Member
    When I was living there, I spent a lot of time scuba diving.

Hire a boat with some mates for the day, a couple of leisurely dives, lechon manok and mangoes on the boat for lunch, relaxation and back to shore at sunset.... great days.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Fred, that is a subject (and potential business) that fascinates me too. I did quite a lot of research into the various small scale fish-farming methods...combined with growing ornamental (in the rest of the world) aquatic plants. Perhaps vegetables too.

You know, the water alone from your pond will be rich in nutrients for your veggies etc. So all you need is a watering can to give them a boost, before considering more sophicated

Another couple of years and I'll probably be giving it a go in the Phils.

Graham.. The fish keeping is no problem for me..Its one thing I understand.. The farmed Tilapia people buy here is rubbish!
    Naturally it takes at least 9 months to grow a decent sized Tilapia fit for the table..These farms try to do it in 3 months by feeding them with pellets that are stuffed with hormones and other nasties and expect me to eat them!
    The problem with aquaponics is that the fish pond water is missing a few essential nutrient like Calcium and potassium and somehow they need to put additives without harming the fish..
    To keep things simple Im looking at a hybrid system which employs compost.. So a thick gravel bed that the pond water runs through where the good bacteria for plants can thrive with large plastic pots on top for my veg.. The soil in the pots wicks up to the roots..
    Basically I have described a perfect fish pond filter.. All the nitrates and nitrites that a regular filter has to deal with is absorbed and utilized by the plants.. Healthy fish..Great veg,and an automatic watering system which allows me to drink more cold beer on a hot day!

Check out this site.. This guy is a bloody genius.

http://sahibaquaponics.com/project-n...in-aquaponics/

Trusted Member
    Some sensible ideas of yours there Fred.

Thanks..I'll take a look at your link.

I just have an endless supply of computers people need mended.

I have half a hectare that I keep threatening to dig out to make a fish farm, we have loads of water here so not a problem and one of our good friends here runs a few fish farms so I have good info for that, as well as myself being a bit of a fish freak too. Gonna do it some time.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    I have half a hectare that I keep threatening to dig out to make a fish farm, we have loads of water here so not a problem and one of our good friends here runs a few fish farms so I have good info for that, as well as myself being a bit of a fish freak too. Gonna do it some time.
    The only problem with doing a commercial Tilapi farm here Steve is that you have to get the fish ready in 3 months to be able to compete..Then its like having a piggery..The people that make the money are the feed producers and as I mentioned in my post above..The product is rubbish.
    Small scale fishery for family and friends produce is a good idea though..Also Japanese Koi breeding.. Lots of Koi ponds in the R.P!

Thread Information