Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Post Questions regarding IELTS or IELTS LIFE SKILLS

Hello everyone I have not been here for several weeks as we are planning for my upcoming wedding to be held in the Philippines after we got the result of our refused tourist visa twice last year.

Anyway, it confuses me a lot. I am going to take an IELTS exam this coming April 18, 2015 for a Spouse Visa to UK and I heard UKVI has announced a new language test assessment for only speaking and listening and it will be an IELTS LIFE SKILLS starts from April 6, 2015. So my question is, what if I have done booking my IELTS exam for April 18, 2015 (listening, speaking, reading and writing? Do you think this test result will be valid for my application, since I need to take and prove only my speaking and listening from IELTS LIFE SKILLS?

Hope to hear your answer. For special mention sir Terpe
    Thanks

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Yes it will still be valid.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Thanks Raynaputi. I thought IELTS GENERAL TRAINING will not be accepted for Spouse Visa, now that IELTS LIFE SKILLS is in the new rules

Hi to all I just called the British Council to clarify but one of staff told me that to be sure I need to wait the new authorized center who will conduct IELTS self consortium exam even though you can take an exam to them because UKVI announces of different visa categories. That's why I am not sure if spouse visa should take IELTS life skills tests that will cover ONLY for listening and speaking

Hi Vivian, we have the same problem. I already booked my IELTS gt on April 18. My visa consultant told me I need to take the IELTS life skills test not the IELTS gt. I'm going to process a refund to British Council with which I booked my IELTS gt. And we will register for IELTS life skills test.

My wife's IELTS is booked 30th May with the British Council in Cebu.

Are you saying it might not be valid anymore ?

I'm so worried now.

This is a list of approved test centres and the British Council isn't listed, but further research shows it is part of the IELTS SELT Consortium.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ntres_v2_0.pdf

The UK government has announced important changes to language testing for visa applications, reducing the number of tests accepted for visa purposes and bringing in new requirements for the way the tests will be administered.

IELTS – the world’s most popular test of English for higher education and global migration – has been approved for all UK visas that require applicants to provide proof of their level of English. This continues the important role which IELTS has long played in language testing for immigration in the UK and other countries, including Australia, Canada and New Zealand.

Under the new arrangements, IELTS tests for UK visa applications will be offered throughout the year in more than 100 key locations throughout the world, and a new test – IELTS Life Skills – will be introduced for people who need to prove their speaking and listening skills at level A1 or B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).

IELTS tests for visa purposes can only be taken at authorised centres and the centre must follow procedures specified by the UK government. When a test is booked, the customer must specify what the test is for and ensure that the centre is authorised to run tests for this purpose. A list of the authorised test centres can be found on www.ieltsessentials.com/uk.

IELTS tests for UK Visas and Immigration are managed by the IELTS SELT Consortia, which comprises British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment.

IELTS, which is jointly owned by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment, has played a key role in language testing for immigration purposes throughout its 25 year history and is recognised by more than 9,000 organisations around the world including universities and employers in many countries, as well as by professional bodies, immigration authorities and other government agencies. More than 2.5 million IELTS tests were taken in 2014 in more than 140 countries.

Source

http://www.idp.com/global/aboutus/ne...gementsukvisas

The British Council website has changed.

There is now a page for general training and another page for general training for UKVI

The fee for general training is Php 8,986.00.

But there is now a higher fee for UKVI IELTS on a different page on the website.

General training is Php 14,835.00.

Life skills test is Php 11,125.00

I booked and paid 8,986.00 last month as there was no indication that there was a different fee for the UK visa one. The UKVI IELTS page didn't exist.

I'm so angry right now. I don't know if the IELTS test I have booked is the right one now.

I have edited the UKVI list PDF and this is the list of centres in the Phillipines now.

Now very clear as no actual test centres are stated.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekee View Post
    The British Council website has changed.

There is now a page for general training and another page for general training for UKVI

The fee for general training is Php 8,986.00.

But there is now a higher fee for UKVI IELTS on a different page on the website.

General training is Php 14,835.00.

Life skills test is Php 11,125.00

I booked and paid 8,986.00 last month as there was no indication that there was a different fee for the UK visa one. The UKVI IELTS page didn't exist.

I'm so angry right now. I don't know if the IELTS test I have booked is the right one now.
    Just call the British Council to verify things for you.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

IELTS Life Skills and IELTS may both be used for family settlement entry clearance purposes.
    The immigration rules require a minimum A1 level for speaking and listening foe entry clearance.
    IELTS Life Skills at B1 level will be accepted for ILR and British Citizenship

IELTS can be used where IELTS Life Skills are used, but be aware that IELTS candidates must reach a score of 4 in both speaking and listening.
    This is equivalent to the higher level B1
    The scores for reading and writing will be ignored regardless

Yes cheekee you have to get a refund from a British council because the IELTS that you had booked was not in UKVI website.It should be part of IELTS SELT consortium. And the amount for spouse visa or for IELTS life skills A1 is 11,125 pesos I must go to it because IELTS GT is very expensive 14,835 pesos atleast UKVI only need at least A1 for spouses.

The Graded Examinations in Spoken English (GESE) test your ability in listening and speaking. They are one-to-one oral examinations with a native English-speaking Trinity examiner.

About GESE
    There are 12 grades which are linked to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). There are four stages with three grades at each stage
    Grade 2 (ESOL Entry 1 on the NQF* / A1 on the CEFR*) is approved by the Home Office for use in:

Spouse/Partner visa applications FLR (M)
    Parents of Dependants visa applications FLR (O)
    Grade 5 (ESOL Entry 3 on the NQF* / B1 on the CEFR*) is approved by the Home Office for use in:

Settlement/ILR and Naturalisation applications made on or after 28th October 2013.

https://englishexamcentres.co.uk/reg...sid=3452&eid=2

Hi everyone, Please advice which one should I take as I am renewing my flr m this year here in UK. I am confused, Is it possible to take the B1 or just A1. Thank you all

Thread Information