Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

IELTS will no longer be accepted by the UKVI?

I passed my IELTS last December 19, 2014. We are going to submit our application at the VFS in Manila on the 17 March 2015. Are we affected? Help me please.

IELTS is accepted and will continue to be accepted.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Here is the approved list and you can see that IELTS is one of the approved tests.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ntres_v1_0.pdf
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Thank you for the replies. My hubby and i are really disappointed, as our immigration lawyers gave notice to their clients.

The usual IELTS English test certificate for migrant partner will no longer be accepted by the UKVI. Since the new rules were published last February 20, 2015 only, even IELTS are still on the process of formulating new guidelines to conform to the CEFR.

Information on the applicable fees and types of exam would be disseminated on the 6th of April, 2015.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    As far as I can understand it, UKVI just introduced a new set of IELTS test (IELTS Life Skills) which will only involve speaking and listening. If you have a General Training or Academic Training type of test, it still will be accepted because it will still contain the category for speaking and listening.

Even on IELTS website, they didn't say the old format won't be acceptable. They are informing of a new type of test for UK visa applicants. http://www.ielts.org/media_centre.aspx

Read more from IELTS website: http://www.ielts.org/test_takers_inf...in_the_uk.aspx

If someone else have a different understanding, I hope they can give the others here the appropriate advice.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Kristh1801 View Post
    Thank you for the replies. My hubby and I are really disappointed, as our immigration lawyer gave notice to their clients.
    1. I'd strongly suggest to only use OISC regulated immigration lawyers.

2. All English Language tests listed on the current UKVI approved listing are valid
    for UK immigration applications up to 5th November 2015 when taken on or before 5th April 2015
    This is clearly stated under the heading 'Test Validity for UK immigration' in the approved list here:-
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ansitional.pdf

From the new UKVI approved listing valid from 5 April and posted by Rayna in her link, you'll see that IELTS is the only approved test listed by UKVI effective from 5th April 2015
    It was previously the case that IELTS scores could not be graded below CEFR level B1
    Since UKVI will continue to accept the lower grades down to A1 for many entry clearance categories this has resulted in a new IELTS test that can officially be assessed at the A1 CEFR level

Thank you Terpe. This is my second time applying for a fiance visa. I was denied the first time we applied. Our lawyer said that we need to take another test under the new policy to avoid denials.

Thank you Terpe. This is my second time applying for a fiance visa. I was denied the first time we applied.
    Is your lawyer UK based and regulated by OISC ?

What reason(s) caused your first applicationto be refused?

Our lawyer said that we need to take another test under the new policy to avoid denials.
    It's your personal choice Kristh whether you follow the advice of your lawyer and take a new test or not.
    Please do take some time to review the links to the UKVI approved listings.
    Discuss with your lawyer if you wish.

The UKVI mandatory requirement for English Test is clearly set out.
    Contact UKVI to confirm if your still unsure.

As your know Kristh, visa applications are really too serious and important for your life to leave anthing to doubt and any stone unturned in your research.

You'll find this forum to be one of the best resources around.

He is not a Uk based lawyer. On our first application, Entry Clearance was rejected reasoning that my sponsor does not meet the threshold requirement. He was just on a career break from December 2013 up to June 16,2014. I was required to submit additional evidence. I submitted my sponsor's payslip for the month of July 2014. This shows that he already resumed work in the UK. Sad fact is, the ECO concluded that we are relying on cash savings instead of utilizing the rule. Our lawyer made our appeal and I was still refused, and now that we've finally completed his 8 months salary requirements, then again he said he will be encouraging us to take a new test to avoid denial.

Thank you very much Sir Terpe

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Hello does it mean I can still use my expired Ielts for the next visa application? I took it last May 2012 in Manila and I will be renewing my flr m this October I'm just worried if I do need to retake the test or not. Thank you

He is not a Uk based lawyer. On our first application, Entry Clearance was rejected reasoning that my sponsor does not meet the threshold requirement. He was just on a career break from December 2013 up to June 16,2014. I was required to submit additional evidence. I submitted my sponsor's payslip for the month of July 2014. This shows that he already resumed work in the UK. Sad fact is, the ECO concluded that we are relying on cash savings instead of utilizing the rule. Our lawyer made our appeal and I was still refused, and now that we've finally completed his 8 months salary requirements, then again he said he will be encouraging us to take a new test to avoid denial.

Thank you very much Sir Terpe
    Not wanting to be too negative here, but you should really be using a UK based immigration advisor IMO
    Your lawyer certainly made a major and very basic error in submitting your application given your sponsors financial circumstances and their lack of understanding of UK immigration rules and their poor judgement have cost you a whole lot of money.
    Additionally, subsequent applications will attract additional scrutiny by the UKVI caseworkers.

I'd not want to rely on their future guidance that's for sure.

Do be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by akosicute11 View Post
    Hello does it mean I can still use my expired Ielts for the next visa application? I took it last May 2012 in Manila and I will be renewing my flr m this October I'm just worried if I do need to retake the test or not. Thank you
    Hi akosicute11, welcome aboard Filipino UK

Based solely on the information provided your circumstances would be covered under Paragraph 32D of the Immigration Rules - Appendix FM-SE which states:-

If an applicant applying for limited leave to enter or remain under Part 8 or Appendix FM submits an English language test certificate or result and the Home Office has already accepted it as part of a successful previous partner or parent application (but not where the application was refused, even if on grounds other than the English language requirement), the decision-maker may accept that certificate or result as valid if it is:

(a) from a provider which is no longer approved, or

(b) from a provider who remains approved but the test the applicant has taken with that provider is no longer approved, or

(c) from a test centre which is no longer approved, or

(d) past its validity date (if a validity date is required under Appendix O),
    Item 'd' answers your question.

Thank you Terpe

The Graded Examinations in Spoken English (GESE) test your ability in listening and speaking. They are one-to-one oral examinations with a native English-speaking Trinity examiner.
    About GESE
    There are 12 grades which are linked to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). There are four stages with three grades at each stage
    Grade 2 (ESOL Entry 1 on the NQF* / A1 on the CEFR*) is approved by the Home Office for use in:

• Spouse/Partner visa applications FLR (M)
    • Parents of Dependants visa applications FLR (O)

Grade 5 (ESOL Entry 3 on the NQF* / B1 on the CEFR*) is approved by the Home Office for use in:

• Settlement/ILR and Naturalisation applications made on or after 28th October 2013.

Hi Terpe thanks for your reply, I just want to clarify this link does it mean I cannot apply for B1 because it is for ILR which is settlement? or should I take the A1 which is for Flr m? I'm confused which one should I booked for the test. Thank you again

https://englishexamcentres.co.uk/reg...sid=3452&eid=2

Quote Originally Posted by akosicute11 View Post
    The Graded Examinations in Spoken English (GESE) test your ability in listening and speaking. They are one-to-one oral examinations with a native English-speaking Trinity examiner.
    About GESE
    There are 12 grades which are linked to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). There are four stages with three grades at each stage
    Grade 2 (ESOL Entry 1 on the NQF* / A1 on the CEFR*) is approved by the Home Office for use in:

• Spouse/Partner visa applications FLR (M)
    • Parents of Dependants visa applications FLR (O)

Grade 5 (ESOL Entry 3 on the NQF* / B1 on the CEFR*) is approved by the Home Office for use in:

• Settlement/ILR and Naturalisation applications made on or after 28th October 2013.

Hi Terpe thanks for your reply, I just want to clarify this link does it mean I cannot apply for B1 because it is for ILR which is settlement? or should I take the A1 which is for Flr m? I'm confused which one should I booked for the test. Thank you again

https://englishexamcentres.co.uk/reg...sid=3452&eid=2
    Did you review this link I previously provided - Immigration Rules - Appendix FM-SE ?

You need to look under paragraph 32D item 'd'

Of course if you prefer to take another test that's your choice but your question was related to your current test certificate validity.

The pass grade/level required is minimum A1 so B1 being a higher level will naturally be OK

When it comes to the time to apply for ILR and Naturalisation the minimum requirement is level B1
    If you already hold B1 at that time, as many folks do, it'll save you taking the test.

Hi, just a quick question .. I'm filling in my form at the moment,

Just wondering what is the SELT unique number in my IELTS results ?
    And what is the Award reference number ?

Thank you ...
    RHAI ' CHARD o23

Thread Information