Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member cherrieclifford's Avatar

Sending money to the Philippines

Hello everyone

Has anyone here used Western Union online to transfer money to a bank account in Phils using direct debit as payout method? I tried getting a quote online, and the transfer fee will be £4.90. I just want to know if there will be additional charges on the part of the receiver? Thanks

Respected Member
    Hello. I used Western Union - my visa debit card to bank account - no extra charges. In fact, sometimes it is cheaper - and the money is transferred in minutes.

Hi there, I use World Remit and I am happy with the service.

Cheaper than Western Union!

Me too - never had a problem.

Thanks Leo, just making sure..hehe

Stevewool and Tiger31, I've got to try WorldRemit since you said it's cheaper.

Thanks guys

Been using WorldRemit for more than 2 years now, but last week I sent money using Azimo. Cheaper fee (get mine for free transfer) and slightly better exchange rate than WorldRemit....might use them again...the only downside is, if you sent more than £800 a month you need to send one ID for verification and approval which is what I'm not happy about.....
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart

Just as a back up I 'joined' up with WorldRemit yeaterday after reading this thread.

Just needed to upload my Driving Licence as ID

I agree the rate is not best but it's not bad as a back up.

I've been using iRemit for over 10 years and the iRemit Visa card since I arrived here.

Had some small issues so decided a couple of back ups is needed

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leen View Post
    Been using WorldRemit for more than 2 years now, but last week I sent money using Azimo. Cheaper fee (get mine for free transfer) and slightly better exchange rate than WorldRemit....might use them again...the only downside is, if you sent more than £800 a month you need to send one ID for verification and approval which is what I'm not happy about.....
    £800 !

Quote Originally Posted by Leen View Post
    Woah! free transfer fee? That's good then! I have to check Azimo as well, I'm not sending more than £800 anyway.

Thanks Leen

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Just as a back up I 'joined' up with WorldRemit yeaterday after reading this thread.

Just needed to upload my Driving Licence as ID

I agree the rate is not the best but it's not bad as a back up.

I've been using iRemit for over 10 years and the iRemit Visa card since I arrived here.

Had some small issues so decided a couple of back ups is needed
    That's a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by cherrieclifford View Post
    Woah! free transfer fee? That's good then! I have to check Azimo as well, I'm not sending more than £800 anyway.

Thanks Leen
    We have property to pay that's why ....anyway if you use WorldRemit, your first transfer is free and every now and then they have promos like free or half-price transfer fee, so much better to like them on facebook for updates.....can't say much about Azimo, just used them once, but their transfer fee is 4 quid cheaper than WorldRemit.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart

It helps when comparing to try sending as an amount in GBP - then seeing how many peso the recipient is receiving.
    This will show who is applying the best transfer rate, and total debited should include their fee - or it will be clear, £5.99 or whatever.

For example, Worldremit are often the cheapest and quickest, compared certainly to Western Union, who from the UK are expensive.
    There's another one to try perhaps - Orbitremit. I believe they are Australian and they usually have a lower transfer fee and better exchange rate.
    One problem though, or perhaps it isn't a problem, BUT they don't take card, you need to transfer to them by bank transfer, they do a sweep at 7 pm then release funds.
    Granted as soon as the sweep is done and funds are released, it's very quick, but...........well the cynic in me is suspicious of any delay when money transfers are concerned.

We've used them - been fine, but............well, think about it.

WorldRemit have promotions that last 2 days - usually 50% of the charging fee. Every little helps!

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    WorldRemit have promotions that last 2 days - usually 50% of the charging fee. Every little helps!
    Like I said, I joined up with WorldRemit.
    I was reading some of their FAQ's and help which I very interesting. I'm not an IT techie so didn't find it all that easy to understand. But some nice info such as ability to send money using debit cards, Barclays Pingit etc.

Sometime this week I'm going to pop into PNB here open an account and also apply for the Global Fiilipino Card.
    Steve, if you get some time take a look at that Global Filipino Card.

As with all routes it's not just the charges or RoE etc it's the total amount it costs the sender compared to total cash received in the Philippines. There's a cost in the convenience of accessing the Peso also.

I'm still considering 'buying forward' Peso.
    If I'd had taken it up earlier in the year I'd have been on P68 for next 12 months.

He who dares wins eh

I did look at the card Peter, and when the time comes - when me and Ems can sit down - I will show her all about it.

Respected Member
    Came across this today:

http://blog.timedoctor.com/2015/03/1...imedoctor-blog

- dont know how accurate it is. The Company we used for the last few yrs - usually money is in the bank account in Phils the day after sending.

Quote Originally Posted by irishman12 View Post
    Came across this today:

- don't know how accurate it is. The Company we used for the last few yrs - usually money is in the bank account in Phils the day after sending.
    I don't know how accurate it is either, but I can say that I've never ever had to wait 3 - 5 days for a completion of transfer. Not ever.
    I just wouldn't accept it.

I also would never accept those total costs stated.
    No idea where they came from.

In the good old, bad old days when there was a limited number of remittance options I sent it via Farochilen Remittance in Earls Court. Once I sent a few hundred quid and it still wasn't in Pinas a few weeks later so I phoned the office and got a very rude female named Apple, so I told her I would be coming to Earls Court. She was MOST surprised when I arrived next day and gave me my money back IMMEDIATELY just to get me out of the office as I was quite remonstrative and loud. Turns out the charlatans hadn't even sent it

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Quote Originally Posted by irishman12 View Post
    Came across this today:

- dont know how accurate it is. The Company we used for the last few yrs - usually money is in the bank account in Phils the day after sending.
    I would say the data in the article are accurate except that it doesn't cover all money transfer companies/agencies in the Philippines (like PNB). Maybe it was done for a purpose that the article should only show what everyone (worldwide) is using to send money to different countries especially those who pay for outsourced projects, remote tasks etc. Just like the Philippines, Ukraine, India, Indonesia and some countries in Asia.

(Just my thought though)

I use WorldRemit and have done for a few years now, only because I have trust in them and I feel safe with them.

I have noticed that if I send £800 plus, then it is cheaper sending with Western Union because you always seem to get a slightly better exchange rate on the pound.

I still stick with WorldRemit even when sending over £800 and I have Western Union as backup like others have a Plan B, just in case.

Thread Information