Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Top Gear

I heard on the radio this morning his suspension has something to do with not being allowed to order steak.

It pains me to say this as I love the show, but if that's true he deserves the boot to be honest. I wouldn't get away with that in my Profession.

Can't stand the bloke. He is arrogant.

Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Can't stand the bloke. He is arrogant.
    I'm with you about that!
    Certainly won't miss him.
    Mick.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    To replace Clarkson they would need to find someone who is outspoken and capable of ruffling a few feathers!

Dedworth, what do you know about cars?

I reckon Graham's already put in for it

I think he plays a great hand tbh, people like him say things that everyone else are too afraid to say in our PC correct society. Ought to give him more air time.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    I think he plays a great hand tbh, people like him say things that everyone else are too afraid to say in our PC correct society. Ought to give him more air time.
    Completely agree..
    Loved the way he ordered that Lightning fighter jet for his front lawn feature..
    Probably to piss off his posh PC neighbours!!
    Love it!

Read this the other day and thought it was a fantastic summary Clarkson and his behaviour.

What he said.

Nothing excuses assault or bullying of work colleagues. I don't think any sane person would try to defend that.

But... Many millions of ordinary people, in their spare time, enjoy:

Rude jokes.
    Offensive jokes.
    Casually racist jokes.
    Sexual innuendos and humour.
    Jokes about women.
    Jokes about disabled people.
    Jokes about vegetarians.
    Freedom from constant moaning about environmental concerns and melting ice while they drive their weekend cars at 17mpg.
    Firing shotguns and rifles.
    Hunting and shooting animals for sport.
    Discussing how much other cultures or countries annoy them.
    Indulging in a bit of loutish drunken 'rugby club' type behaviour.

But despite millions of people enjoying those things, apparently they aren't 'allowed' to have TV programs or media that reflect this, because somebody somewhere, finds it offensive and disagrees with it.

Clarkson is one of the few people, still in mainstream media, on channels like the BBC, that represent those people and the things they enjoy in life.

If Top Gear/Clarkson/similar things get taken away, what will people be left with as mainstream entertainment? Cookery programs? X Factor?

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Read this the other day and thought it was a fantastic summary Clarkson and his behaviour.

What he said.

Nothing excuses assault or bullying of work colleagues. I don't think any sane person would try to defend that.

Rude jokes.
    Offensive jokes.
    Casually racist jokes.
    Jokes about women.
    Jokes about vegetarians.
    Freedom from constant moaning about environmental concerns and melting ice while they drive their weekend cars at 17mpg.

But despite millions of people enjoying those things, apparently they aren't 'allowed' to have TV programs or media that reflect this, because somebody somewhere, finds it offensive and disagrees with it.

Clarkson is one of the few people, still in mainstream media, on channels like the BBC, that represent those people and the things they enjoy in life.

If Top Gear/Clarkson/similar things get taken away, what will people be left with as mainstream entertainment? Cookery programs? X Factor?
    You couldn't have said it better!

I agree to with what you are saying but I still think it's time to re do the programme.

I feel the show is all about the three of them. Let's get a silly car that no one else in our world could ever afford.

Replace him with who? I hear you asking. Mike Brewer comes to mind - even Quintin Wilson - and instead of a so called "star in a car", get a slot where you get a car for under £xxxx amount so Joe Bloggs can afford. Just my thoughts, no offence meant to lanky fat-belly blokes who think they are teenagers.

It's an entertainment programme featuring cars though Steve, it's not a car buying guide programme. People watch it to be entertained and then chat with their friends or colleagues the following day about which car they'd have if they won the lottery.

There's similar programmes on property like Grand Designs, they're more of an entertainment programme than a what castle to buy programme.

I will agree with what Steve says regarding Quentin Wilson, if it becomes necessary, he would be the perfect replacement!

I agree with you Simon, thoughI will still say, the programme has lost one viewer. But hey ho, there is 'Strictly Come Dancing' to look forward to. I hope he doesn't go onto this if he gets the boot - then that's another programme i won't be watching either.

Well ... ... it's rumoured that Jeremy Clarkson's considering quitting the BBC - irrespective of the outcome of inquiries into his behaviour.

He said: “All the dinosaurs died and now, years later, no one mourn their passing. These big imposing creatures have no place in a world that has moved on. You can start as many campaigns as you like and call on the support of politicians from all sides, but the day must come when you have to wave goodbye to the big monsters and move on. we lose one animal and gat another. The world turns.”
    More than 800,000 people have now signed a petition to reinstate the presenter, fuelling speculation that Top Gear would be scrapped if Clarkson was sacked.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...azy-Irish.html

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    He said: “All the dinosaurs died and now, years later, no one mourn their passing. These big imposing creatures have no place in a world that has moved on. You can start as many campaigns as you like and call on the support of politicians from all sides, but the day must come when you have to wave goodbye to the big monsters and move on. we lose one animal and gat another. The world turns.”
    More than 800,000 people have now signed a petition to reinstate the presenter, fuelling speculation that Top Gear would be scrapped if Clarkson was sacked.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...azy-Irish.html
    Onwards and upwards they say

Steve...Who are "They"?
    Always wanted to know that!!

Well, Fred (THEY) could be the person or people who are going onward and upward to a better place.

In fact, I am going to say that the day we fly out to our new home and life in the Philippines, so my kids will not feel upset. ONWARDS AND UPWARDS

Quentin Wilson would be like watching paint dry or dying a slow death lying on a minefield. He isn't a patch on Clarkson. Clarkson is one of life's entertaining eccentric buffoonery types, old-school English middle-class. He is the shining star of the programme - without him, it's not going to be Top Gear but flop-gear.

And whoever keeps sticking these.........in my posts thanks for the editing but please,its how I speak in real life and these............have no place in it.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

And whoever keeps sticking these.........in my posts thanks for the editing but please, it's how I speak in real life and these............have no place in it.
    Are you saying that someone other than you edited your post?

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    The only shows I watch from the BBC apart from occasional news are Mrs. Brown's Boys, Top Gear, Doctor Who, Match of the Day (if I do remember it) and The Voice UK. One less show to watch if Top Gear will end.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

I know so mate, my posts are what someone must think is "tidied up". I look at them and think they seem totally out of context to how I envisaged them sometimes, grammar corrected, certainly punctuation and these damned things.......

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Read Clarkson's autobiography, it's an insight into who and what he is. There's a chapter where he has a fox taking his chickens in the garden, so he buys a rifle and some ex-Russian NVG .....................

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    I know so mate, my posts are what someone must think is "tidied up". I look at them and think they seem totally out of context to how I envisaged them sometimes, grammar corrected, certainly punctuation and these damned things.......
    OK.. I`m on the case!!...So far though, it's a mystery????

I will keep a weathered eye out. Next time it happens, I will sing out LOUD - though perhaps now I have pointed it out, my posts will remain unaltered. I'd better bang one of these in just in case: .......

It's an entertainment programme featuring cars though Steve, it's not a car buying guide programme. People watch it to be entertained and then chat with their friends or colleagues the following day about which car they'd have if they won the lottery.

There's similar programmes on property like Grand Designs, they're more of an entertainment programme than a what castle to buy programme.
    I kind of agree but then when it comes to things like responsible fuel consumption and advise on savings and economical driving then I reckon there is no better than top gear.
    Look at this for example.

One man does not make the show, but hey, that's just my opinion. Look, don't get me wrong, there have been some great shows, but like anything, some shows just get boring after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    One man does not make the show, but hey, that's just my opinion. Look, don't get me wrong, there have been some great shows, but like anything, some shows just get boring after a while.
    I've never watched Top Gear very often, but I still enjoyed the early programmes when they used to compare and test the average car!

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    Disagree! The right person makes all the difference - he is good at what he does.

Yes, he may be good at what he does, and so are the other two, but - and this is just me saying this - I think Hammond could be the right person to make all the difference and he, too, is good at what he does.

What he said.

Rude jokes.
    Offensive jokes.
    Casually racist jokes.
    Jokes about women.
    Jokes about vegetarians.

What he says is spot on. Proof is in the plethora of Top Gear fans and those who enjoy stand-up comedians.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information