Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Noob saying hi!

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Noob saying hi!

Hi there,

Newbie here saying hello , and like all good newbies I come armed with a question

So I am seeing (and in love with) a girl who somewhat inconveniently lives in Manila who I met travelling in Asia about a year ago and we are looking at getting married later this year over there...

I've been reading lots of really helpful threads on here and have got my head around the paperwork etc, but there is one question I have... it seems everyone says to plan for 3 weeks over there which includes a 10 day waiting period? Does this have to be 3 continuous weeks and does this 10 day waiting period actually have to be done in the Phillipines or (for example) could I turn up and we apply for the licence, I fly back to the UK for a month (probably 2), then fly back to the Phillipines and get married? Looking at my calendar there is no way I can take 3 continuous weeks but with a bit of careful planning can possibly take 2 separate weeks.

Thanks in advance

James

Hi James, welcome aboard Filipino UK

Three weeks is a good time period for getting married as it gives time for unexpected delays and maybe a honeymoon break.

Many folks have managed to get married in a 14 day period. Not too difficult if you can get all the paperwork completed and checked without and delays and can work with a pre-arranged tight schedule.

Based on what you've said I'd suggest completing the process in two stages.
    First trip focus on getting the marriage licence
    Second trip focus on getting married.
    The marriage licence is good for 120 days and valid anywhere in the Philippines.

Check out the threads and make a schedule for both.
    You'll need to plan ahead carefully and get your British Embassy appointment slot. They're getting tricky now for short notice.
    Read all the official websites be sure you can secure all the needed paperwork ahead of time.

We had one member here who actually had all his paperwork done and dusted, mostly by his Fiancee, and then flew over got married and flew back in time for work in 11 days.
    Not recommended though. Lady Luck smiled on him there. I think he used the services of a wedding planner and fixer.

If that all sounds a bit daunting, why not consider getting married in Hong Kong (or somewhere similar)
    Certainly less red tape and definitely quicker.
    Google can help you

Last but by no means least, there's always the Fiance(e) Visa to consider.
    Many people have followed this route and have found no problems at all.
    Those horrible times with months of waiting for the FLR(M) to be processed are long gone.
    In your circumstances the Fiance(e) Visa may actually be your optimum strategy.

Good luck with whichever strategy you decide to follow.
    Lots of helpful folks here who have actually followed their immigration journeys to finally receive citizenship.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Good luck James, hope everything works out as per your plan. Please keep us posted!

Thread Information