Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Toril Day

Cool Toril Day

Today was the day we took our jeepney ride in the opposite direction to our regular route.

The weather was overcast and cloudy and a bit cooler than usual at around 25C. Perfect for walking around the market and beach area after a nice lunch in Toril.

I prefer the larger jeepneys plying their trade up and down the highway between Toril and downtown Davao. Much more comfortable with just about adequate headroom.
    It cost us just P10 each for our single journey and we were able to enjoy a very pleasant ride taking in the sights and sounds.

About halfway through the journey, and what seemed like the middle of nowhere, the jeepney suddenly stopped and sounded the horn. Out of small wooden hut by the side of the highway came two small boys. My guess would be 12 years and 10 years old. They danced through the traffic over the highway carrying large bottles of liquid and a hosepipe.
    Seems they were selling petrol as they began filling up the jeepney. First time for me to see that.
    On his return journey across the highway the younger boy somehow lost his flip-flop and was very nearly run down by a massive lorry loaded up with Coca-Cola.
    Most of the drivers here think that nobody else should ever have right to be on the road and carry on doing what they do and seemingly ignoring whatever is happening around them.
    Jeepney drivers are the worst drivers and the best drivers.

Toril has a very new GMall. Not large but very nice and welcoming in a calming way.
    The Handyman store there is a true life Aladins Cave of fascinating items. It's quite a large store, easily fascinating enough to keep me occupied for a good coupl of hours.
    My wife was not at all happy about that as she had apparently been obliged to spend her own money on clothes and beauty products.
    Just opposite is a great little bakery making and selling just about the best bread I've encountered since arriving. So good that I'll be returning tomorrow morning for some freshly baked
    delights for breakfast.

Anyway to the point of this tale.
    I spent a couple of years living in the Alsace region of France.
    One of the popular local food dishes being a local version of sauerkraut.
    This bakery in Toril has a cafe and one of the dishes available was Alsatian Sauerkraut or to give it's local name, choucroute.

Not only that amazing fact, but also they have a beautiful pizza oven. A small one, mobile and perfect for home use. They use it mainly for Lechon Manok

When I go back tomorrow I'll take a couple of photos and resurrect an old project to build one.

Had a very nice afternoon outing, but sadly no time to explore the beach and no time to explore and enjoy the local market which looks to be big enough to take up a couple of days looking.

Life is good

There's no point in rushing around when you follow Philippine time.

That bakery is my fave for hot pandesal The G-Mall is a godsend for most. When I lived there, we only had Sunmart Supermarket -no Jollibee, no Chow King, nothing. The place has become busier and expanded over the years

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Still seems to be quite a few units yet to be opened up in GMall.
    There's a nice CD-r King there. That's another good place to browse around.

Still got that market to explore. Toril is looking like a better place for us to shop than downtown.
    It's cheaper and transportation is much easier.
    From around 3pm onwards finding a jeepney with some decent seating is a nightmare.
    Sometimes we end up going out to the corner of Roxas and Quezon Blvd to the terminal. Gets a bit tiresome after a while.

I'm still searching for reasonable fishing spot in the area.
    Any ideas Tawi?

I love fishing! i Try to wet a line wherever I go, but never once caught anything of note around Toril. In fact, even though the house is on the beach and I can roll out of bed and be on the sand 45 seconds from closing the front door, I no longer fish there sadly. Boats are your best bet! Caught fish of a couple of kg when fishing from a boat. I fished in *Thailand last month. Which is *where I caught my biggest freshwater fish - around 10 years back - that pulled the scales at 74 kilograms. Here's a couple I caught last month; my biggest was around 20 kilograms.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

I went to that bakery this morning around 9:45am
    Surprised that they hadn't properly opened and hadn't any fresh baked anything.
    The girl told me to come back at 10:30
    I did but still nothing . She said maybe 11am
    I didn't really have more time to kill so just bought a few egg and ham breads and a French Baguette.
    Wow. That baguette really cut the mustard. One of the best of had anywhere outside of France.
    Could have knocked me down with a feather really.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    I love fishing! I try to wet a line wherever I go, but never once caught anything of note around Toril. In fact, even though the house is on the beach and I can roll out of bed and be on the sand 45 seconds from closing the front door, I no longer fish there sadly. Boats are your best bet! Caught fish of a couple of kg when fishing from a boat. I fished in *Thailand last month. Which is *where I caught my biggest freshwater fish - around 10 years back - that pulled the scales at 74 kilograms. Here's a couple I caught last month; my biggest was around 20 kilograms.
    I love fishing too.
    Been 'hooked' since about 9 years old.
    When I travelled around with my job I would always take a small telescopic rod. Never caught anything anywhere near the sizes you gave.

I brought all my best fishing rods with me on the flight. Didn't cost anything and all looked after nicely. Separate check-in for them and marked up as fragile.
    I have two nice poles, just couldn't leave them behind. Not sure if I'll get to use them although Eden nature park do have a fish pond stocked with Tilapia. Used to be able to use your own rod so we'll see.

I love fishing from a beach and don't mind not catching much.

Only fished from a boat here a couple of times. Plenty of small stuff but no specimens

Next time

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    I love fishing! i Try to wet a line wherever I go, but never once caught anything of note around Toril.
    Well ... ... you never know: ...

... ... "Some enchanted eve~ning ... you may catch a sal~mon
    !"

Used to enjoy fishing, had caught salmon and sea trout. Nothing like fresh from the river, after the great feeling of that bite on the rod, to know you have finally caught and landed it!

Thread Information