Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Every man is created equal...............

I was in Dumaguete maybe 6 weeks ago and had a couple of hours to spare. So I went into Silliman to see if they still had the crocodiles - which they didn't! Father Tropa and his Spaceship 2000 had also vanished from Dumaguete since I met him in 1990. I guess things, places and people change

Anyway Silliman still have their Anthropology Museum - which is a great place to kill an hour - so I went in. A BIG sign said 'Foreigners 100 peso, Pinoys 40 peso. If you put a sign up on the London Eye or Windsor Castle, Brits £10 foreigners £20, it would create worldwide headlines, but this is Pinas so such things are overlooked. Anyway, the guy taking the money had a Bible on his desk and it was a slow day. I was the only person wanting to go in. I had a spare 5 minutes, so I began....."How much to get in please?"....... "100 pesos sir"........"But it says there 40 peso for pinoys???"....."Yes sir,Filipinos are 40 peso"..........."But 100 peso for foreigners???"........"Thats correct sir"......"Are you a religious person?????"(I knew he was cos I could see the Bible)......."Yes sir"........"What does your Bible and your God say about man - especially about all men being created equal???"...........we had a little verbal joust, by which time he gave me the Pinoy discount and admitted the sign was unfair (I gave him 100 peso anyway. It was worth it for entertainment value). Remember, when travelling in pinas................."All men are created equal".

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    I was in Dumaguete maybe 6 weeks ago and had a couple of hours to spare. So I went into Silliman to see if they still had the crocodiles - which they didn't! Father Tropa and his Spaceship 2000 had also vanished from Dumaguete since I met him in 1990. I guess things, places and people change

Anyway Silliman still have their Anthropology Museum - which is a great place to kill an hour - so I went in. A BIG sign said 'Foreigners 100 peso, Pinoys 40 peso. If you put a sign up on the London Eye or Windsor Castle, Brits £10 foreigners £20, it would create worldwide headlines, but this is Pinas so such things are overlooked. Anyway, the guy taking the money had a Bible on his desk and it was a slow day. I was the only person wanting to go in. I had a spare 5 minutes, so I began....."How much to get in please?"....... "100 pesos sir"........"But it says there 40 peso for pinoys???"....."Yes sir,Filipinos are 40 peso"..........."But 100 peso for foreigners???"........"Thats correct sir"......"Are you a religious person?????"(I knew he was cos I could see the Bible)......."Yes sir"........"What does your Bible and your God say about man - especially about all men being created equal???"...........we had a little verbal joust, by which time he gave me the Pinoy discount and admitted the sign was unfair (I gave him 100 peso anyway. It was worth it for entertainment value). Remember, when travelling in pinas................."All men are created equal".
    Love it, love it, love it!

I felt a bit bad looking at his crestfallen face as I gave him my biblical spiel especially as I don't believe and he obviously did, but I just can't wrap my head around all this double foreigner price when the UK is often perceived as a racist country - yet we wouldn't countenance or condone doing such a price hike

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

I felt a bit bad looking at his crestfallen face as I gave him my biblical spiel especially as I don't believe and he obviously did but I just can't wrap my head around all this double foreigner price when the UK is often perceived as a racist country - yet we wouldn't countenance or condone doing such a price hike.
    I enjoyed it so much, rep on its way.

As you walked in he probably thought...Another bloody kuriput Kano!

That is mean that people growing older, but still immatured spiritually, poor knowledge. I encountered lots of people like that, It's so impressive of what you did...

But always remember
    God said: Romans 3:10 as it is written, there is none righteous not even one.

God said ...
    “To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heavens. [Ecclesiastes 3:1]”

I just shared your story to a friend who graduated in Silliman University. I'll get back at you as soon as I find out what her reaction is.

She said she suddenly got ashamed with her own school

I must admit that I was always a bit peeved about the fact that when I was a kid it was cheap for my parents to take me to the Tower of London but I felt I always had to walk past the place with my kids because of the tourist prices and massive queues of bloody tourists!..
    I say us Brits should get a discount!!

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    As you walked in he probably thought...Another bloody kuriput Kano!
    Maybe, but when I left he felt deep-rooted guilt over the treatment of his brother-from-another-mother and I instilled in him how Jesus had suffered for us and we are all children of God so he shouldn't discriminate in any way shape or form, and would he discriminate against his own siblings? No?Then why against me, a brother in the eyes of the Lord our father?

Quote Originally Posted by Anne2014 View Post
    She said she suddenly got ashamed with her own school
    Silliman is a great school academically, but given the numbers of overseas students the two-tier museum entry price-tag is a little archaic!

Yup, a sign like that in the UK would imply to have racial and xenophobic connotations by some even though it's got nothing to do with either, but that's what this country's like nowadays.

I was speaking to an ex millionaire today who currently has a paltry £40 to his name. In his heyday he had a chain of expensive restaurants catering for sportsmen & women, lawyers, doctors and the like. He also had a nightclub and was heavily involved in the property market but lost everything because his business partners ripped him off. The stress of losing it all caused him to have a stroke which made him partially disabled, yet he still works, if only at a menial job, because he is too proud to take state handouts.

He became a millionaire by his early forties having started his working career learning a manual trade and built his way to the top through pure hard work only for a bunch of scallies to destroy his world. His only mistake was that he was too trusting. Nowadays his 'friends' who were chummy with him when he was wealthy keep their distance so to speak due to his financial status. They are paranoid he will ask them to bale him out which shows up their true colours.

His former employees at the restaurants still contact him to see if he has opened up a new one, testament to what they thought of him as an employer. I spent a few hours in his company and I'm glad I did. If you saw him in the street you may feel sorry for this middle-aged man shuffling along but I doubt anyone would have guessed he used to be a millionaire.

I have a house, small, it's in a town with the second highest number of millionaires in the country. Windsor has the highest and that's not too far away. This area has purportedly 800 millionaires, albeit a lot of them have inherited their wealth.

I have 2 mates, one of whom looks a slob - wandering around in shorts, a t-shirt and flip-flops during the summer. Doesn't look as if he has 2 pennies to rub together, but he is financially very well-padded. His mum was a single parent living in a council flat in Essex. He has came a long way since then. My other mate had a rocky start - bit of a naughty boy - went to nick a few times, then learned a trade. He has since built up a nice little property portfolio. I am actually going to a property auction with him next week - Tuesday I think? The most unprepossessing people have a quid or two.

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity answered: "Man himself, because he sacrifices his health in order to make money, then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health!"

The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity answered: "Man himself, because he sacrifices his health in order to make money, then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health!"
    I like that.
    I like it a lot

I shook his hand once at one of his meet and greets in McLeod Ganj. I didn't realise the significance of it at the time, I was more interested in spinning the prayer wheels. I also like this ...

"Some men are so anxious about the future that they do not enjoy the present. The result being, they live neither in the present nor the future, they live as if they are never going to die, then die having never really lived".

I shook his hand once at one of his meet and greets in mcleod ganj,i didnt realise the significance of it at the time I was more interested in spinning the prayer wheels,I also like this ...

"Some men are so anxious about the future that they do not enjoy the present. The result being, they live neither in the present nor the future, they live as if they are never going to die, then die having never really lived".
    Excellent quote!

There was a time, years ago, I would read a lot of what the Dalai Lama had to say.

He clearly thought through many things to help us all.

He's not done yet either!

“People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost.”
    ― Dalai Lama

Thread Information