Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006

Applying for 65+ bonds if not resident in UK.

I appreciate this will be of little interest to most here, but I am so annoyed that we, those living outside UK too, have been encouraged to take advantage of the 'great deal' (another election bribe, like the winter fuel allowance was) which I have now discovered is worthless.

I decided to take the offer:-

I called from Spain to purchase both the 3 year and 1 year bonds.

I could not make the application on the phone, so they sent 2 application forms each marked with a unique number. I had to return the forms in the post using separate envelopes.

I checked my bank account one cheque cleared.

Today I got two letter from NS&I. The cheque which had not been cashed was enclosed as was the application form for that application.

In both cases I am now told I must provide a certified copy of my passport, and a certified copy of a letter from my local tax office in Spain, which must show my name and address.

The passport OK I have that.

My tax returns are done online with a gestor so no letters sent to me.

The certificates on each document must be by an Embassy, or a lawyer. As we know the British embassy charges a substantial sum for anything and a lawyer is not cheap. And, I will need 2 certified documents for each application as they are dealt with by different offices..

If I ever get the interest, 20% is stopped in UK, but as I pay tax in Spain, I must claim (R43) that 20% back from HMRC so that I can pay the tax in Spain. And the benefit is the difference between the 1.5% I am already getting on the £10,000 and the 4% gross from NS&I

I made a 140 mile round trip to Gib., 3 hours waiting in and out, to get cheques for the investment.

It will probably cost almost all the interest in certifications, tax, not the mention my trip to Gib, postage, several 45 min plus phone calls to UK, and the aggravation. And even then I have to live 3 year to ‘enjoy’ the bit that I might end up with.

Had I known I would not have bothered, and even now I think I will abandon the exercise, that way I might actually live the 3 years !!!

PS I just called the Premium Bond number. I have £20 worth. If I win a million this week they will send it to my bank without any paperwork to prove who I am. But that does not mean I can buy the 65+ bonds without all the above paperwork to prove who I am.

PPS. When my wife renewed her Residencia 6 years ago, she is non EU, I had to prove we were still married. Not really possible. Can prove one is divorced but not still married. So I got a leter from the British Consul saying I had told them we were still married. That took a few minutes and cost 325 euros. 2 copies of passport and 2 copy letters for the 65+ Bonds, I don't think so !!!!!

Banned
    I don't know if it would be of any benefit John, but I've recently registered for their online service:

http://www.nsandi.com/login

You could keep your eye on your £20 Premium Bond!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    I don't know if it would be of any benefit John but I've recently registered for their online service http://www.nsandi.com/login you could keep your eye on your £20 Premium Bond

Thanks for that Dedworh, but although I do not see it on the web page, I was told that those of us who live outside UK can only register by post.

I am hoping that the applications I have sent, and now follow up letters, and a letter of formal complaint, will result in me being registered /(or maybe certified !!! )

Banned
    TBH John, I had to register by post (pre paid envelope though from here) they then sent through two letters one with one of those peel off pin numbers another with a registered number - you then had to go online with 5 mins to change the pin then set up a load of security questions. After that it's simple to log on

Respected Member
    I have just managed to negotiate all the obstacles and now have 12 month and 3 year bonds.

I have a complaint, with many items listed, to which I am awaiting a reply. The last letter said they would deal ASAP and at least within 8 weeks. Of course that was dated more than 8 weeks from the initial complaint !!!

Thread Information