Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Latest Approved English Test and Provider

Hi everyone, just to update and might be a help to someone who is planning to take the exam. Have a look to the latest Approved English test and provider. Here is the link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...April_2015.pdf
    "Love Knows no boundaries and no distance; miles and obstacles mean absolutely nothing in the face of Love"

Here's the 20 February 2015 announcement from Cambridge English :-

The UK government has confirmed new requirements for secure English language testing for visa and immigration purposes. These requirements reduce the number of tests on the list of Secure English Language Tests (SELT) which are required for many categories of visa, and bring in additional requirements for the way the tests are administered.

Cambridge English has worked with our IELTS partners, British Council and IDP: IELTS Australia, to meet these new requirements.

The key features of the new arrangements are:
    •Applicants who need to prove their level of English to support an application for any category of UK visa will be able to use IELTS scores, at Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level B1 (IELTS score 4.0) and above.
    •A new IELTS Life Skills test will be introduced, specifically designed for applicants who need to prove their speaking and listening skills at CEFR levels A1 and B1.
    •For many categories of visa, the tests will need to be taken under specified conditions at centres which are specifically approved for this purpose. The requirements for each visa category and for other immigration purposes are specified in full on the official gov.uk website.
    •IELTS is setting up a network of centres across the UK and the rest of the world which will be fully equipped to deliver tests which conform to UK immigration requirements, and will be authorised by UK Visas and Immigration to deliver language testing for UK visa purposes. Details of these centres will be announced shortly. Tests will be available regularly in locations around the world where UK visas are issued.
    •From 6 April 2015, Cambridge English exams other than IELTS will not be included on the UK government list of Secure English Language Tests, but they will remain valid for other visa and immigration purposes. For example, applicants for undergraduate and postgraduate degrees at most UK universities will still be able to use exams such as Cambridge English: Advanced and Cambridge English: Proficiency to support their applications, and to meet the requirements for admission to British universities which have Highly Trusted Sponsor status.
    •Please note that these changes do not affect the use of Cambridge English exams or IELTS by people from the European Union, European Economic Area or Switzerland.

The first IELTS and IELTS Life Skills exams under the new arrangements will be run in late April 2015.

IELTS and IELTS Life Skills are ideal tests for UK visas and immigration purposes. They are designed to ensure that candidates have the skills they need for success in an English speaking environment, and that they can use the language effectively in a wide range of different contexts. IELTS has been in operation for over 25 years and is recognised by more than 9,000 organisations.

Source
    Here's the 20 February 2015 announcement from Trinity College London:-

Trinity College London appointed as one of only two approved suppliers by the Home Office to provide Secure English Language Tests in the UK from April 2015, following a major review

20 February 2015

Trinity College London (Trinity), the international examination board with operations in over 60 countries worldwide, has been appointed by the Home Office to provide Secure English Language Tests (SELT) in the UK following a major market review. The review was undertaken by the Home Office after significant market abuse involving English Language Tests was uncovered in 2014.

From 6 April 2015, Trinity will be one of only two suppliers approved by the Home Office to provide SELT tests in the UK. To ensure a smooth transition, current suppliers (including Trinity) will continue to provide the tests until 6 April 2015.

SELT tests are taken by people who need to demonstrate their English language proficiency for the purpose of obtaining a visa to work, study at a recognised educational establishment or to settle in the UK. Further details can be found on the UK government website.

From 6 April 2015, Trinity will be conducting the tests at its ten centres around the UK*. Trinity SELT centres are conveniently located and will provide excellent customer service and security in the process for all applicants. Trinity tests reflect real life contexts and are an excellent way of assessing the communications skills that people need every day in the UK.

Sarah Kemp, Chief Executive of Trinity, said:

“I am delighted that the Home Office has chosen Trinity as one of the two providers of SELT tests in the UK. We have been assessing English language proficiency since 1938, both directly testing candidates as well as supporting other examination boards worldwide.”

Further information about Trinity SELT is available at www.trinitycollege.com/SELT.

Notes to Editors

*Trinity’s testing centres are in: London Holborn, London Hammersmith; Belfast; Birmingham; Cardiff; Glasgow; Leeds; Manchester; Newcastle; and Peterborough.

The appointment will commence on 6 April 2015 under a contract with the Home Office for an initial period of two years.

The Trinity examinations offered for SELT purposes are: Trinity SELT GESE, which tests speaking and listening skills; and Trinity SELT ISE, which tests all four skills – speaking, listening, reading and writing. The level of the exam people need to take is determined by the type of visa they require.

Trinity College London is a registered charity and international exam board that has been providing assessments since 1877. With a rich heritage of academic rigour and a positive, supportive approach to assessment, Trinity provides recognised and respected qualifications across a unique spectrum of learning areas including English language, music, rock & pop, communication skills, drama and arts activities.

Source
    Looks like there are no other approved providers

Hi Joy,
    I've moved your thread and made it a 'sticky'

Wrong timing for me! I'm just about to take my IELTS (General Training) exam on Saturday for my FLR and this new list came out! So meaning I can't use this for my next application for ILR coz the exam I'm gonna take is only valid till November 2015. Haaays!

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anne090909 View Post
    Wrong timing for me! I'm just about to take my IELTS (General Training) exam on Saturday for my FLR and this new list came out! So meaning I can't use this for my next application for ILR coz the exam I'm gonna take is only valid till November 2015. Haaays!
    IELTS is still on the list (look at page 5 of the document). You can still use it as long as it's there.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    IELTS is still on the list (look at page 5 of the document). You can still use it as long as it's there.
    Oh that's good, I thought I won't be able to use it since they will change it again...thanks Rayna

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Hi Joy,
    I've moved your thread and made it a 'sticky'
    Thanks Sir Terpe, I apologise for posting the same subject and can't find a delete option

I've been checking UKVI site at 1 am, found the changes and thought to post it here might prevent some folks from booking their English exam with the unapproved providers.
    "Love Knows no boundaries and no distance; miles and obstacles mean absolutely nothing in the face of Love"

Quote Originally Posted by joy_86jm View Post
    Thanks Sir Terpe, I apologise for posting the same subject and can't find a delete option.

I've been checking UKVI site at 1am, found the changes and thought to post it here might save some folks from booking their English exam with the unapproved providers.
    Your post is fine. Don't delete it!

I added my reply post to your original post just as a clarification for the announcements made by the two approved organisations now providing the tests and Test Centres.

I moved your original post from the section called help and advice into the section for UK Visas

I also made your thread/post a 'sticky' which means it will always be at the top of the section and not get lost as more posts get made because it's such an important subject.

Hope that helps explain what I did and why I did it.

Well done, and thanks for your important post

Respected Member cherrieclifford's Avatar
    Thanks for the update. xx

So this means, if you hold ESOL, you'll have to take a new test in one of those other approved ones, in order to apply for FLR?

Hmmm, they just love changing things, don't they!

So the wife's IELTS taken @ British Council in Manila 2012 will still be of use? I mean after November?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    So the wifes IELTS taken @ British Council in Manila 2012 will still be of use? I mean after November?
    Yes.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Yes.
    Ahh, cool! Thank you Rayna. We will use it for our ILR in 30 months or so too.

Sorry for labouring the point here, but this is the only evidence I can find with regards to the SELT dates in the following document:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._v16_0_EXT.pdf

Here it states "Validity dates of SELT qualifications are not applicable to citizenship applications". I see no document stating that other visa applications are not applicable. So my assumption would be that the dates for expiry would be applicable for FLR?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    Sorry for labouring the point here, but this is the only evidence I can find with regards to the SELT dates in the following document:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._v16_0_EXT.pdf

Here it states "Validity dates of SELT qualifications are not applicable to citizenship applications". I see no document stating that other visa applications are not applicable. So my assumption would be that the dates for expiry would be applicable for FLR?
    No. As long as the test is included in the approved list and you have a grade of B1 and above in speaking and listening, then it will be accepted even if it's expired.

I applied for my ILR on January this year with and expired IELTS (taken on 2011) and they accepted it.

If you are still in doubt, I advise you to write a letter to UKVI for confirmation (you can do it via your MP for faster processing, possibly) about the issue. I did just that and I have a letter of proof of them telling me what I just told you. It can be a helpful piece of paper.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Just been going through the paperwork and the wife is a level B1 but Hopkins taken in Manila in 2012. I cannot believe she has to take this again. Talking to her you would think English was her first language.

I will be booking the wife to sit her English test next week. She will be applying for FLR and needs an A1 but what is the point of sitting an A1 when she will have to sit a B1 when applying for ILR. They are both the same price so we might as well just let her sit the B1 now and use it for the ILR in two and a half years as well as the FLR next month.

Am I right in thinking this is just common sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    I will be booking the wife to sit her English test next week. She will be applying for FLR and needs an A1 but what is the point of sitting an A1 when she will have to sit a B1 when applying for ILR. They are both the same price so we might as well just let her sit the B1 now and use it for the ILR in two and a half years as well as the FLR next month.

Am I right in thinking this is just common sense?
    -=rayna.keith=-

Thank you for your quick reply.

Thread Information