Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Davao City Power cuts

It was announced yesterday by Davao Light and Power that we'll be suffering a series of power cuts during the coming days (or weeks )

Brings back memories of the 1972 power cuts in the UK. Anyone here remember those 'dark days'?
    Can't remember how long each power cut lasted, in my mind I think maybe all day. I remember the whole power cut rota process seemed to go on for weeks and weeks. The time of the so called 3-day working week. The company I worked for had special generators together with dispensation to minimise disruption since it was considered a key plant for some reason or other.

Anyway these planned power cuts here in Davao have the same common denominator as UK did in 1972.

Coal.

Yep, scheduled maintenance of the Coal-Fired power plant means minimal output from today February 21 until March 2
    The published announcement states March 2nd is the very last day. Hohoho, this is not confirmed verbally however. It could go on for longer.
    The published statement also says maximum 2 hour power outages on a rotating basis. Hohoho, we have been informed will have the first of our minimum 3 hour blackout later today.
    Despite these power cuts being planned specific timings are still unknown.

Makes me laugh, just down the road we have massive Hydroelectric Power Plant. No, you couldn't make up could you.
    At least the electricty bill should be less.

We're preparing as best we can and at least I have my home made 'electricity-free' charcoal cooker. Better stock up on some coconut shell charcoal.
    Then there's also my trusty homemade BBQ

We have a few of those 'wind-up' lamps which actually do provide a good amount of light and, most importantly, I have a very good stock of San Migel Pils. The litre bottle versions which I managed to buy at a discounted price of just P53 each for a minimum order of 12.

We have friends coming around later tonight so might be a nice 'garden party' in the making.

It's more fun in the Philippines

All here are welcome.

Peter..Why not get yourself a generator? Doesn't have be a big one..Just enough for lights,fans,laptop,TV etc.. Petrol is cheap right now!

Power cuts were a fairly regular occurrence throughout the 3 months I spent in Davao.

Petrol has fallen in price during recent months here in the UK - as you'll probably have gathered from the News, Fred - but still has a long, lo~ng way to go ... before it can ever be described as "cheap"!

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Peter..Why not get yourself a generator? Doesn't have be a big one..Just enough for lights,fans,laptop,TV etc.. Petrol is cheap right now!
    We had planned to buy a small one yesterday after an offer from a neighbour to take us to a place 'he knows' and transport it back home for us.
    Sadly by the time we finally got there nothing was left at all

We have some friends coming round tonight for drinks and eats, generators will be on the agenda so hopefully we may be getting one.

To be honest my wife kept on about it everytime she saw one in the shops.
    I'd been telling her no need as power is highly reliable here in Davao City.
    Naturally it's all my fault now.

I've seen some quite nice ones for about P25k
    As you advise Fred, just need enough power for a small fridge and fans etc.

We've made sure our fridge isn't full of foods.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    .. Petrol is cheap right now!
    I've a feeling that UK petrol prices at the pump include approx 60% in fuel duty/tax (including VAT which is actually levied on the duty ).

No idea what it is in Philippines ?

CANDLES, in those dark days a long time ago, I can remember going from shop to shop trying to buy them and they could only sell you 1 or 2.

The good old days

Just had eight and half hours freaking brown out here in Tagum.

Whilst a generator seems to me a must have there in Phils, you could always get hold of a Tilley Lamp, they were a favourite for Pubs during a 3-day week. Yeah, I remember those days back then. Tories for you, hahaha - someone had to be blamed.

Well the good news is, no brown out for us today
    The beer was ice cold as usual and the BBQ just perfect.

Genuinely sorry to learn about your extra-long bown out Jonnijon. Do you get your power from Davao Light and Power ?
    Didn't know anything about Tagum power outages.
    Are they scheduled ?

... you could always get hold of a Tilley Lamp, they were a favourite for Pubs during a 3-day week. Yeah, I remember those days back then. Tories for you, hahaha - someone had to be blamed.
    What a great idea! I can see it now, a romantic glow and the Mozzies and moths flying into the light. Have to get the camera ready.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    Just had eight and half hours freaking brown out here in Tagum.
    's where I experienced similar lengthy "brown outs" ... Tagum!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Every Saturday in Dumaguete 9am until 5pm Brown out and it still happened on this last visit, nothing changes!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Every Saturday in Dumaguete 9am until 5pm Brown out and it still happened on this last visit, nothing changes!
    Michael ... ... the problem's commonplace throughout the Phils, it seems. And nothing of this nature is ever likely to change!

They are replacing wooden poles with concrete ones, but there is no foundation - they're just stuck in the ground, and some are leaning over already. Don't know who supplies the current.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry T View Post

... someone had to be blamed.
    's true ... how about the miners for going on strike!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    's true ... how about the miners for going on strike!
    Mind you, they'd good reason ... I worked for the [then] National Coal Board during those dark days.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    They are replacing wooden poles with concrete ones, but there is no foundation - they're just stuck in the ground, and some are leaning over already. Don't know who supplies the current.
    Ah OK, nothing to do with the maintenance work of the power plant then.

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    What a great idea! I can see it now, a romantic glow and the Mozzies and moths flying into the light. Have to get the camera ready.
    Better is the self-generating wind up LED lamps.
    Always at the ready no preparation needed.

Try buying them in the UK Steve. Cheaper than here by a country mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Better is the self-generating wind up LED lamps.
    Always at the ready no preparation needed.

Try buying them in the UK Steve. Cheaper than here by a country mile.
    Thanks Peter.

Well well. Lucky us. We got through the day so far without any power outages that we know of

We had Tuna kinilaw for dinner to save cooking
    It was simply heaven

Took a jeep to a big big wet market to get the Tuna and other ingredients.
    I won't say anything about that ride for fear of gaining the wrong image ..........but.....

Sounds wonderful Mr Robinson Crusoe, sorry - Peter.

Sounds wonderful Mr Robinson Crusoe, sorry Peter
    Steve, knowing you, I can say you'd be very happy here too. However, you must prepare and it always take two to tango.
    Emma must also be prepared to give up her UK life too.
    I stuck in back in UK to be sure my wife agreed unconditionally and also I made sure she had entitlement to her own pensions (including state pension)
    Cash can disappear very easily here when you're enthusiastic to fill every minute with experiences.
    Just saying.

That is why I need an amount in savings for Ems to live the life I think she would like. I am here and I know, the pension for Ems has changed. You should have paid in for 15 years to claim any sort of pension, so even if we do stay till I am 60 she is still short of 5 years.

Ems has been paying into her NHS pension since day one, and that is very good.

With the house being built, I know Ems is very happy about this; it was her dream to do this for her dad, and yes, it can be our place for however long we want to stay there.

We have spoken long and hard about when to go. Yes, there was the 10 years' time when I hit 60, but guess what? I am 56 now, so it's only another 4 years. That's how quickly the time can go by!

We shall talk again once the house is built and see where we are. The good thing is now, Ems is saying, "it would be nice in 4 years' time, but we are lucky - we could go anytime", too.

Now that's music to my ears.

Might be a good idea to experience Philippine daily life for a while on your next visit.
    What I mean is just stay awhile without rushing about on tourist trips and try to get a feel for the life.
    Just food for thought

You read my mind Peter, that's what we are going to do, stay at the house and just visit close friends. No flying this time.

That is why I need an amount in savings for Ems to live the life I think she would like. I am there I know, the pension for Ems has changed. You should have paid in 15 years to claim any sort of pension, so even if we do stay till I am 60, she is still short of 5 years.

Ems has been paying into her NHS pension since day one and that is very good.

With the house being built, I know Ems is very happy about this; it was her dream to do this for her dad, and yes, it can be our place for however long we want to stay there.

We have spoken long and hard about when to go. Yes, there was the 10 years' time when I hit 60, but guess what? I am 56 now, so it's only another 4 years. That's how quickly the time can go by!

We shall talk again once the house is built and see where we are. The good thing is now, Ems is saying, "it would be nice in 4 years' time, but we are lucky - we could go anytime", too.

Now that's music to my ears.
    My Mrs still pays her N.I contributions here.. She says she will need to do this for another 5 years or so.

Me? I have no idea!

I was looking at trying to pay into Em's account, but it's too much to take in! , I may look another time.

I was looking at trying to pay into Em's account, but it's too much to take in! , I may look another time.
    My Mrs gets a letter every year to our nominated UK address..It gets sent on to us and she pays it!

So far so good.
    No power cuts at all

dam brownouts, we are now at the end of the 4th week of non stop brown outs, day after day never know when its going to happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information