It was announced yesterday by Davao Light and Power that we'll be suffering a series of power cuts during the coming days (or weeks )

Brings back memories of the 1972 power cuts in the UK. Anyone here remember those 'dark days'?
Can't remember how long each power cut lasted, in my mind I think maybe all day. I remember the whole power cut rota process seemed to go on for weeks and weeks. The time of the so called 3-day working week. The company I worked for had special generators together with dispensation to minimise disruption since it was considered a key plant for some reason or other.

Anyway these planned power cuts here in Davao have the same common denominator as UK did in 1972.

Coal.

Yep, scheduled maintenance of the Coal-Fired power plant means minimal output from today February 21 until March 2
The published announcement states March 2nd is the very last day. Hohoho, this is not confirmed verbally however. It could go on for longer.
The published statement also says maximum 2 hour power outages on a rotating basis. Hohoho, we have been informed will have the first of our minimum 3 hour blackout later today.
Despite these power cuts being planned specific timings are still unknown.

Makes me laugh, just down the road we have massive Hydroelectric Power Plant. No, you couldn't make up could you.
At least the electricty bill should be less.

We're preparing as best we can and at least I have my home made 'electricity-free' charcoal cooker. Better stock up on some coconut shell charcoal.
Then there's also my trusty homemade BBQ

We have a few of those 'wind-up' lamps which actually do provide a good amount of light and, most importantly, I have a very good stock of San Migel Pils. The litre bottle versions which I managed to buy at a discounted price of just P53 each for a minimum order of 12.

We have friends coming around later tonight so might be a nice 'garden party' in the making.

It's more fun in the Philippines

All here are welcome.