Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Smile 14 Insane Names Victorians gave to their Kids !!

Genealogy firm Fraser and Fraser uncovered the following names while looking for heirs to unclaimed estates. Neil Fraser, a partner at the firm, said in a press release:

“Our genealogists get to look through hundreds of thousands of birth, death and marriage records. Over the years we have picked out certain names which have amused us and we’ve made a note of them. It shows people in the 19th century had a great sense of humour.”

1. Friendless - Friendless Baxter, a boy, was born in 1871.

2. Faith Hope Charity - Born in 1889. It might sound unusual to modern ears, but Hope wasn’t a particularly uncommon name in the 19th century.

3. Leicester Railway -So named because he was born on a carriage at Leicester Train Station in 1863. Understandably, he dropped the “Railway” part later in life.

4. Time Of Day - Son of Thomas and Alice Day. This unusual title was a family tradition - both his Grandfather and Great Grandfather had the name.

5. One Too Many - Perhaps a sly reference to the circumstances of his conception? Choosing to call himself the preferable name of Robert W. Gouldstone instead, the man born One Too Many lived through both world wars, passing away aged 76

6. Windsor Castle - Clearly a family with regal pretensions: her father’s surname was Castle and her mother’s maiden name was King.

7. Zebra Lynes - The daughter of James Lynes, a basket maker from Southampton. Born in 1875, she sadly passed away an infant.

8. Ann Bertha Cecilia Diana Emily Fanny Gertrude Hypatia Iug Jane Kate Louisa Maud Nora Orphelia Quince Rebecca Starkey Teresa Ulysis Venus Winifred Xenophen Yetty Zeus - That’s 25 names, one name beginning with each letter in the alphabet. You’ll notice there’s no P. That was reserved for her surname, Pepper.

9. That’s It Who’d Have Thought It - The child of Mr and Mrs Restell. He later changed his name to George!

10. Mineral Girl Waters - Mineral Girl was born in 1892 and had a number of siblings, including her sister, Virginia Waters. Sadly, Mineral died aged 23 during World War One.

11. Allien - Lambert, son of William and Maria Lambert. Born in Chelsea, 1890.

12. King Arthur - Johnson, born 1885 in Daventry, Northampton.

13. Cleft - Megson, born 1842 in Horncastle, Lincoln. Son of John and Sophia Megson.

14. Clifton Antivaccination - West, born 1879 in Medway, Kent.

Source: http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/in...ry#.evmW7waxNv

I’m sure that there are plenty of “unusual names” in the Philippines, anyone got any they’d like to share?

Banned
    - I though it was only relatively recently kids were named after cup final winning teams and such like

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    - I though it was only relatively recently kids were named after cup final winning teams and such like
    Oh dear ..... that's just reminded me that my partner's oldest son was given the middle name "St James" after his favourite football team!!

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post

....... I knew there would be some funny ones, well done Terpe!

Jamie Oliver has the following children:-

Daisy Boo Pamela Oliver
    Petal Blossom Rainbow Oliver
    Buddy Bear Maurice Oliver
    Poppy Honey Rosie Oliver

I've been spending time in the Philippines for many years now and I've almost gotten used to the individualistic names and nicknames.

I genuinely believe such names do represent creativity and the joy of the parents. No body I've met here seems to think anything funny or negative about names at all. That to me says a lot.

You see plenty of unique names on the name badges worn by those in customer facing jobs. Makes my day to a beautiful young sales lady wearing her name badge with pride.
    I've seen one called Kiss. You all know where the name badge is usually worn don't you

Stephen does sound boring now i have read this

It's all very well being creative when choosing a name for your child but it's the child who has to live with it. Absurd and cruel names like Dweezil, Moon Unit (both Frank Zappa's kids), Buddy Bear, Friendless, Allien and Clifton Antivaccination will most likely lead to teasing and ridicule as he or she is growing up and that's not fair on the kid.

On a brighter note, I used to work with a fella called Hardwork - and the most unusual name in the Phils I've come across is Pedestal. But at least these names are of a positive nature unlike the ones above.

Good thread, Rosie.

On a brighter note, I used to work with a fella called Hardwork

Wow, Jamie, thats funny i work with these blokes at my work too and all there names are dickheads , aint it a small world

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Interesting!

Our next son is due next month and finding a nice name for its life is not an easy task. Nothing too foreign for the UK and not too Britsh for the Philippines. The search continues.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Our next son is due next month and finding a nice name for its life is not an easy task. Nothing too foreign for the UK and not too Britsh for the Philippines. The search continues.
    How about Joe No, on second thoughts......... Simon

I think Dedworth's a lovely name for a boy!

Goodluck Jonathan President of Nigeria , I'm sure he's made his own luck
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    My sister used to have a classmate in highschool named "Jollibee". She also has sisters named "Wendy" (from Wendy's fastfood) and "Cindy" (Cindy's, another fastfood in the Philippines).
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    My sister used to have a classmate in highschool named "Jollibee". She also has sisters named "Wendy" (from Wendy's fastfood) and "Cindy" (Cindy's, another fastfood in the Philippines).

My friend's sister is also named Jollibee. She said her parents can't find any other names that starts with J. They are 3 girls namely, Joanna, Jonnaly and the unfortunate Jollibee.

Got another friend who's name is Apple and sisters' names are Strawberry and Orange.

My uncle also named his 4 daughters, Love, Sweet, Honey and Darling.

My dad named all my brothers after him the second and the third

Its the nicknames I can't get my head around with the Filipino's. It seems no one is ever called their real name, everyone has a nickname and that is what they go by all the time. For example my husband is called Jonas but he is Jong-Jong.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    Its the nicknames I can't get my head around with the Filipino's. It seems no one is ever called their real name, everyone has a nickname and that is what they go by all the time. For example my husband is called Jonas but he is Jong-Jong.
    Hahahaha...

My name is Rayna but plenty of my friends call me "Rain" or "Puti" (because of my fair complexion), my family and relatives call me "Joann" and some of them even call me "Jo" (my first names are Rayna Joann). My sisters are called "Leng" (Marinelle) and "Ute" or "Dothy" (Dorothy). My brothers are called "Raygan" (Raymundo Jr.) and "Dada" or "Ngets" (Darwin).

Plus, most Filipinos have at least 2 first names, some even have 3 or 4!!!

-=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Yes Rayna it is the same for his sisters (not his brothers for some strange reason). His oldest sister is Cristita but everyone calls her Lab-Lab, then there is Catherine who everyone calls Jet-Jet and then there is the youngest whose real name I don't even know but people either call her Mina or Cookie. Trying to teach my relatives that came to the wedding who was who was certainly fun!!

Thread Information