Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Our new home

Our new home

Hi boys and girls,
    We have been building our new home over in Marikina.

It's been an ongoing project now since last year. Here are some pictures I hope you'll like:

http://s376.photobucket.com/user/woo...ml?sort=3&o=41

http://s376.photobucket.com/user/woo...ml?sort=3&o=39

http://s376.photobucket.com/user/woo...tml?sort=3&o=6

http://s376.photobucket.com/user/woo...tml?sort=3&o=9

http://s376.photobucket.com/user/woo...ml?sort=3&o=11

Just a few from when it started - to how it looks now

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Hi Steve,

Looks like your new house is coming along fine. We had a house built on a plot in a sub division. Our relative oversaw all the building work as it was being erected. The contractor was recommended by the owner of the land for the sub division. The owner of the sub division had their house built by the same contractor so we knew there would be no problems. We held back the last 10% of the final cost until we arrived in the Philippines to inspect the work.

We were so happy with the house we bought the plot next door so that if ever we wanted to increase the size of the house we were ready.

After 6 years we have decided to spend some money on the house and make the interior more like UK houses. The problem with this is finding builders (in the Provinces) that are knowledgeable with modern processes and materials.

To give you some examples:

a) Our ceilings were constructed with plywood (?) that warp with the constant change in temperature. We asked the builder about using Gypsum plasterboard. At the time of construction they had no knowledge of this material.

b) Our kitchen wall smelt damp. When we looked for the cause we knew that the wall was 'added' to an existing boundary wall. Even though this was acceptable, no damp proofing was used. The builder then painted the outside wall with a damp proof paint. However, we doubt this will completely solve the problem.

c) The bedroom has fitted wardrobes. These are well-constructed, except when you slide the doors back they are very noisy and do not open easily. You would have thought they would have used some kind of rail to ease the opening of the doors.

d) The kitchen units were adequate. However, the hinges used to open and close the doors were of very poor quality and held on by small screws which are coming loose.

e) The most laughable item was that when we noticed the rain water on the bedroom outside balcony was not going anywhere and we discovered that they had fitted a 'u' pipe so the water did not travel downwards!

f) ALL the plumbing and faucet fittings - without exception - are of very ,very poor quality. We had to spend a small fortune replacing all the taps and shower fittings. Our en suite bedroom needed 20,000 pesos for the fittings. When we came to use the new fittings, there was hardly any water pressure! WE are solving the problem by having a separate tank and pump.

We were thinking of doing away with the bath and having a wet room. The only problem is, where do we find anyone with the knowledge and skill to install the plumbing, erect a stud wall, and tile the unit to a high standard?
    We would also like to have a supply of hot water to the whole house. At present, 3 bathrooms have electric showers which are not very good. We would also like hot water for the kitchen. There are immersion heaters in the Philippines but where would you find someone with the knowledge to pipe hot water to the whole house?

Our house is wired up for cable TV. Because we only use the house for 3/6 weeks a year, we decided to have a conventional aerial rather than pay for a yearly subscription for cable TV. When we saw the way the aerial was fitted we could not believe that someone would fit it on the ground with about 5 meters of cable running into the house !!

I wish you all the best in finishing your house, but please let me know how you intend to get by some of the problems we have encountered.

Hi there. Well, I am going to try and do as much work as possible, myself. I have done a lot of work on my house here in England, and though it may be hard to do the same over there, I am in no rush.

There is still lots to do on the house to make it our own. All of the upstairs will be done by me and Ems, dry walls and the wet room too. Maybe lots of hair-pulling times ahead, but it should keep me busy.

Looking good Steve!
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Thanks Joe, we are so pleased so far.

some other pictures, getting there

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikek1 View Post
    Hi Steve,

Looks like your new house is coming along fine. We had a house built on a plot in a sub division. Our relative oversaw all the building work as it was being erected. The contractor was recommended by the owner of the land for the sub division. The owner of the sub division had their house built by the same contractor so we knew there would be no problems. We held back the last 10% of the final cost until we arrived in the Philippines to inspect the work.

We were so happy with the house we bought the plot next door so that if ever we wanted to increase the size of the house we were ready.

After 6 years we have decided to spend some money on the house and make the interior more like UK houses. The problem with this is finding builders (in the Provinces) that are knowledgeable with modern processes and materials.

To give you some examples:

a) Our ceilings were constructed with plywood (?) that warp with the constant change in temperature. We asked the builder about using Gypsum plasterboard. At the time of construction they had no knowledge of this material.

b) Our kitchen wall smelt damp. When we looked for the cause we knew that the wall was 'added' to an existing boundary wall. Even though this was acceptable, no damp proofing was used. The builder then painted the outside wall with a damp proof paint. However, we doubt this will completely solve the problem.

c) The bedroom has fitted wardrobes. These are well-constructed, except when you slide the doors back they are very noisy and do not open easily. You would have thought they would have used some kind of rail to ease the opening of the doors.

d) The kitchen units were adequate. However, the hinges used to open and close the doors were of very poor quality and held on by small screws which are coming loose.

e) The most laughable item was that when we noticed the rain water on the bedroom outside balcony was not going anywhere and we discovered that they had fitted a 'u' pipe so the water did not travel downwards!

f) ALL the plumbing and faucet fittings - without exception - are of very ,very poor quality. We had to spend a small fortune replacing all the taps and shower fittings. Our en suite bedroom needed 20,000 pesos for the fittings. When we came to use the new fittings, there was hardly any water pressure! WE are solving the problem by having a separate tank and pump.

We were thinking of doing away with the bath and having a wet room. The only problem is, where do we find anyone with the knowledge and skill to install the plumbing, erect a stud wall, and tile the unit to a high standard?
    We would also like to have a supply of hot water to the whole house. At present, 3 bathrooms have electric showers which are not very good. We would also like hot water for the kitchen. There are immersion heaters in the Philippines but where would you find someone with the knowledge to pipe hot water to the whole house?

Our house is wired up for cable TV. Because we only use the house for 3/6 weeks a year, we decided to have a conventional aerial rather than pay for a yearly subscription for cable TV. When we saw the way the aerial was fitted we could not believe that someone would fit it on the ground with about 5 meters of cable running into the house !!

I wish you all the best in finishing your house, but please let me know how you intend to get by some of the problems we have encountered.
    Typical!

Mikek1, all the problems you have mentioned can be solved.
    Take each room one at a time - that way you know it's done the way you'd like it!

Kitchen units are something I can do myself, I'm even thinking of taking all the hinges we use here over there and a router to make all the holes.

I am looking forward to getting back to making things and that will keep me busy, but also Em's father is a very handy man to have around.

Our builders are doing a great job up to now, and if all goes well, I do intend to give them other work and to keep their numbers on hand too.

The gypsum here has no recess on the long edges for tape unfortunately..Filipino`s would have no problem putting the stuff up,but they would have to be shown.. You see it used a lot in shopping malls etc.. Everything they need is widely available here including drywall screws,reinforced tape and joint compound.
    We just use hardiflex as it is water resistant and fireproof.. They put that up with no issues.

We have ours made at our local sawmill joiners..The timber is all kiln dried..Again,no problems getting adjustable hinges these days..All available now.

If the exterior wall is on the boundry line its called a "fire wall" here.. You cant put windows,doors or anything in it.
    There is a cement waterproofing product here call "Sahara" you put it with the render mix and it works.
    Problem is unless you tell them to put on an inch+1/2 of render they do not.. Usually 1/2" only.

) ALL the plumbing and faucet fittings - without exception - are of very ,very poor quality. We had to spend a small fortune replacing all the taps and shower fittings. Our en suite bedroom needed 20,000 pesos for the fittings. When we came to use the new fittings, there was hardly any water pressure! WE are solving the problem by having a separate tank and pump.
    Corrosion is a big issue here with taps, showers, sinks etc..
    These days we only use nylon faucets, sinks, etc.
    The best we have found are "Watertek" products.
    Last years..No corrosion!
    You can get non-corrosive pressure tanks here now..Not cheap though. (but worth every Peso)

Best not to use a contractor.
    They don't care about what materials they use because it comes out of their lump!

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    The gypsum here has no recess on the long edges for tape unfortunately..Filipino`s would have no problem putting the stuff up,but they would have to be shown.. You see it used a lot in shopping malls etc.. Everthing they need is widely available here including drywall screws,reinforced tape and joint compound.
    We just use hardiflex as it is water resistant and fireproof.. They put that up with no issues.

We have ours made at our local sawmill joiners..The timber is all kiln dried..Again,no problems getting adjustable hinges these days..All available now.

If the exterior wall is on the boundry line its called a "fire wall" here.. You cant put windows,doors or anything in it.
    There is a cement waterproofing product here call "Sahara" you put it with the render mix and it works.
    Problem is unless you tell them to put on an inch+1/2 of render they do not.. Usually 1/2" only.

Corrosion is a big issue here with taps, showers, sinks etc..
    These days we only use nylon faucets, sinks, etc.
    The best we have found are "Watertek" products.
    Last years..No corrosion!
    You can get non-corrosive pressure tanks here now..Not cheap though. (but worth every Peso)

Best not to use a contractor.
    They don't care about what materials they use because it comes out of their lump!
    A number of good tips there Fred!

Attachment 9312Attachment 9313Attachment 9314Attachment 9315Attachment 9316Attachment 9317Attachment 9318Attachment 9319Attachment 9320

Some more pictures came my way today.

This building project is going very, very fast.

The first floor and inside the ground floor was started 2/2/2015. It's amazing what can be done with the right people, the right plans and the right way of doing it, plus money helps too

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    Attachment 9312Attachment 9313Attachment 9314Attachment 9315Attachment 9316Attachment 9317Attachment 9318Attachment 9319Attachment 9320

Some more pictures came my way today.

This building project is going very, very fast.

The first floor and inside the ground floor was started 2/2/2015. It's amazing what can be done with the right people, the right plans and the right way of doing it, plus money helps too
    Steve, I couldn't see your photos so I tweaked them to post here. Hope it's OK for you?

It just makes it easier for all forumers to see your photo's

Looks like a good job getting done there Steve.

Newbie (Restricted Access) Andrew Chunis's Avatar
    Awesome

Thanks Peter, I must still be doing something wrong when adding them on here. Fred showed me once, but like most things in my life, I will have to be shown again.

We are very pleased so far with what is happening to the house.

Some more pictures ...

Here is another one ...

[IMG]http://s376.photobucket.com/user/woolleybooby23/media/house/11026708_10206137014132609_1270266181_n_zpsu4setpao.jpg.html]

I have the hang of this, I shall try two ..

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Progressing nicely Steve

Ok, I lied - there was three. Here are the rest ...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Progressing nicely Steve
    What? Me putting pictures on here Simon?

Thanks Simon, we are pleased with what is happening. Just wish we could pop over there, see things for ourselves and make a few changes here and there, but we can't.

Maybe in a few months time, a very quick visit. But it's too far to go for 1 week. Plus the cost too, I'd rather spend that on the house!

What? Me putting pictures on here Simon?

Yeah, that as well

Just 24 days to get from this ...

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

... to this.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING. !
    More boring pictures to follow soon.
    WARNING, WARNING, WARNING !

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING.!
    You still make me smile Steve.

Nothing boring about those pics Steve. Interesting more like.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING.!
    Not at all boring! Actually, I find it very interesting to see how things are progressing on your house build.

Thanks boys, and thankyou for the rep too. Here they are:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information