Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

FLR query - if exams aren't passed!

Hello there-

It's been a while since I posted here as things have been busy since my wife came to live with me in the UK, and we now have a lovely baby.

Anyway, the time has come when her first spouse visa will come to an end (September 2015) and we will need to apply for further leave to remain, for the next two years before we can then apply for indefinite leave. I have two questions I wonder if people can help me with:

1) My wife is taking IELTS this time round, to meet the English language requirement. This has a shelf life of two years. Will she need to take another English exam when we apply for her indefinite leave to remain?

2) She has done really well, coping with a new baby and also passing the Life in the UK test. If she doesn't pass IELTS or another exam (such a shame TOEIC was discontinued for UK visa purposes), what would our options be then when it comes to renewing her visa?

Many thanks
    Last edited by freyter; 7th February 2015 at 23:38. Reason: typo

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    #1. As long as your wife acquires a grade of at least 4.0 (which is equivalent to B1) in Speaking and Listening, she can reuse the test results in her ILR & Naturalisation applications. Expiration of the test cert won't matter. I just got an ILR using my expired IELTS result with the required grades.

#2. It's really advisable to take the tests as soon as she can coz that will give her enough time to do retakes in case she failed. September 2015 is still 7 months from now and she can do a lot of retakes just in case.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Respected Member
    Thank you for your reply, and congratulations on your ILR.

Speaking and Listening aren't really the worry. It's just with IELTS I think you need a 4 in every part to get level B1, and the Reading part has been a problem so far. Thanks again.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    The UKVI will only require the Speaking and Listening categories to have the minimum of B1 (or 4.0) grade. Even if she doesn't pass the other two categories, it won't matter. Speaking and Listening are the important ones.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Respected Member
    That's great news. Thanks ever so much for your help.

Thread Information