Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Question My jeepney ride yesterday

Two things struck me yesterday and I kept thinking about them for ages.

On the journey going downtown, I happened to notice the the passenger capacity written on the jeep stated 14
    As I looked across I counted the number of passengers squeezed onto the seat at 6
    Then I counted the passengers squeezed quite tightly on my side at 5.

Now, I might not have the narrowest of hips but in truth I was very far from being the largest. Most of the passengers were females and it struck me how much larger people had become since I first visited the Philippines.

I honestly don't think that we could have squeezed in 14 passenger. Probably only 1 small one at the most.

In the shopping mall I deliberately took note of people's size and to be honest there's a lot of very overweight folks here in the Philippines now.

On the journey back home we were quite late and got caught up in the commuter peak. Stood waiting for a jeep with space enough for us.
    I noticed an odd looking guy standing just behind me. He just looked shifty and odd. I gave him a long look and he turned away but held his ground. I noticed his hand kept hovering around his pocket and it spooked me a bit so I moved sideways and forward so I could see him better. Even my wife noticed this and gave me a look which again spooked me.
    I looked long and hard at him again as he moved a little bit closer to me.
    I took my wife's hand quickly walked a few meters along the road hailed a taxi and jumped in it.
    We talked about it and both thought he looked and acted like he was up to no good.
    Of course we could both be wrong but that's what happened and it's made us more alert. It's not going to affect our trips out and in a perverse way we feel a bit more confident that we can quickly spot something not quite normal.

Respected Member
    I would strike up a conversation with the guy and see what happens. Unless you can see he's a gun totin' kidnappin' type then surely he's just looking to pickpocket or rob your necklace/watch? (and with your experience I'm sure you're not displaying any bling).

Perhaps he wanted to touch a pale person? I've seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    On the journey back home we were quite late and got caught up in the commuter peak. Stood waiting for a jeep with space enough for us.
    I noticed an odd looking guy standing just behind me. He just looked shifty and odd. I gave him a long look and he turned away but held his ground. I noticed his hand kept hovering around his pocket and it spooked me a bit so I moved sideways and forward so I could see him better. Even my wife noticed this and gave me a look which again spooked me.
    I looked long and hard at him again as he moved a little bit closer to me.
    I took my wife's hand quickly walked a few meters along the road hailed a taxi and jumped in it.
    We talked about it and both thought he looked and acted like he was up to no good.
    Of course we could both be wrong but that's what happened and it's made us more alert. It's not going to affect our trips out and in a perverse way we feel a bit more confident that we can quickly spot something not quite normal.
    Good choice you've decided to take a cab instead, Terpe. Better safe than sorry.

There are some people who really don't know that staring is rude.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I had a one-armed man who used to follow me begging for money every time I went downtown in Dumaguete. For many years he was annoying me by nudging me if he could get close to me, but on this last visit he wasn't around, luckily. He used to give me the creeps!

Try going into London or any big city here and you will get beggars there just the same. As I see it, you have to be cautious wherever you go!

Maybe he misunderstood your long look at him.

Maybe he thought you were flirting with him, Hence the hand in his pocket and moving closer to you.

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    Maybe he misunderstood your long look at him.

Maybe he thought you were flirting with him. Hence the hand in his pocket and moving closer to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    I had a one-armed man who used to follow me begging for money every time I went downtown in Dumaguete ...
    ... one-armed bandit!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post

... but on this last visit he wasn't around, luckily.
    's good, Michael. Anyway ... I trust you BOTH had a nice, relaxing holiday ... sniffles, coughs and sneezes on the return trip excepted.

back to Blighty!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    's good, Michael. Anyway ... I trust you BOTH had a nice, relaxing holiday ... sniffles, coughs and sneezes on the return trip excepted.

back to Blighty!
    Thank you so much Arthur, on the road to recovery now!

Thread Information