Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Marriage in the Philippines means you take your maiden name as middle name?

Levin and I are now married.

Levin's name on the marriage certificate is Levin Gaw Kelleher

First Name: Levin
    Middle Name: Gaw (Levin's maiden name)
    Surname: Kelleher (Ed's surname)

Levin tells me that her name is Mrs Kelleher, yet she has updated her Facebook from Levin Gaw to Levin Gaw Kelleher.

I see this leading to potential confusion in terms of the upcoming visa application, as well in general when she reaches the UK

Levin tells me this is a Filipino custom, and every married woman does this in Philippines.

Has anyone out there had similar experiences with this?
    If so, how did you guys deal with it?

Thanks in advance
    Ed

WE have a similar problem in as much as when we married my wife continued to use her middle name as is customary in the UK and dropped her surname however when we recently applied for her Filipino passport the official insisted that her original surname had to be on the passport which is not as she is known in the UK. I will advise further when we get feedback from her ILR application.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
    Levin and I are now married.

Levin's name on the marriage cert is levin Gaw Kelleher

First Name: Levin
    Middle Name: Gaw (Levin's maiden name)
    Surname: Kelleher (ed's surname)

Levin tells me that her name is Mrs Kelleher, yet she has updated her Facebook from Levin Gaw to levin Gaw Kelleher.

I see this leading to potential confusion in terms of the upcoming visa application, as well in general when she reaches the UK

Levin tells me this is a Filipino custom, and every married woman does this in Philippines.

Has anyone out there had similar experiences with this?
    If so, how did you guys deal with it?

Thanks in advance
    Ed
    Listen to your wife, she is correct!...and it's not a problem. Middle name in the Philippines is her maiden name here and my wife does the same.

Same as my wife. Never been any problem. The passport is the key and the marriage certificate is the 'audit key' when the two names differ.

Quote Originally Posted by malchard888 View Post
    WE have a similar problem in as much as when we married my wife continued to use her middle name as is customary in the UK and dropped her surname however when we recently applied for her Filipino passport the official insisted that her original surname had to be on the passport which is not as she is known in the UK. I will advise further when we get feedback from her ILR application.
    So are you saying that you wife wanted to renew her passport in her married name (as per marriage certificate) and the Philippines Embassy refused ??
    Something not correct there unless I missed or misunderstood something.
    Most wives renew their passport to their married name at some point. Always following the Embassy Guidelines.

Please share more on this

My wife has her maiden name as her middle name now. But her previous middle name is gone.

It is different in Philippines, it was hard trying to explain to them what a middle name was when we went to do the paperwork for the marriage.... They kept asking me if my Mums middle name was her maiden name.... When I told them no, they still couldn't quite grasp what I was saying....

Her name on facebook is actually right now from what you say....

They insisted that her married middle name should be her maiden surname - which is not the middle name we have used since she has been here.

Yes, they keep their maiden name as a middle name.

I had an argument in Globe office when I contracted to have a dongle.

They insisted I used my mother's maiden name - or my father's first name - for my middle name, stating it was necessary for the contract. I argued that this is not so in UK, that I do not have my mother's maiden name for my middle name, and believe I'm male not female.

In the end, to get the contract, I had to include my fathers 1st name as my middle name. What a stupid thing!

Filipino's take their maiden name as their middle name once married?!

Fair enough guys, looks like Levin is no different to anyone else here...should be fine then..

Thanks

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    I just merged your two threads on the same topic, Ed. And yes, it's normal in the Philippines. Also, no problems with my visa here.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    So are you saying that you wife wanted to renew her passport in her married name (as per marriage certificate) and the Philippines Embassy refused ??
    Something not correct there unless I missed or misunderstood something.
    Most wives renew their passport to their married name at some point. Always following the Embassy Guidelines.

Please share more on this
    Yes, sounds odd! My wife renewed her passport at the Philippine Embassy in London. Her married name was accepted and is now on the new passport. So I would certainly question what their problem is...

Thanks for the information Rayna. I created this post early this morning and forgot that I'd posted it. So I reposted it, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    I just merged your two threads on the same topic, Ed. And yes, it's normal in the Philippines. Also, no problems with my visa here.

Ilr

I am pleased to confirm that my wife has been granted ILR, it took 3 months but the anomaly with her passport middle name and that on our marriage certificate being different appears to have not caused a problem and late submission of the passport was also accepted as her application was submitted prior to the expiry of her FLR.
    One question we have is that the ILR has an expiry date of 2024, can we assume this has to be renewed then unless we go down the UK citizen route which would then override any expiry date ?

Quote Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
    Fair enough guys, looks like Levin is no different to anyone else here...should be fine then..

Thanks
    Yes, as Stewart [Imagine] says, Ed and ... it is the normal custom in the Philippines for a lady's surname to be retained as a middle name upon marriage.

Don't ask me why ... ... it's simply standard procedure. Even British women can opt to do the same thing if they wish, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by malchard888 View Post
    I am pleased to confirm that my wife has been granted ILR, it took 3 months but the anomaly with her passport middle name and that on our marriage certificate being different appears to have not caused a problem and late submission of the passport was also accepted as her application was submitted prior to the expiry of her FLR.
    One question we have is that the ILR has an expiry date of 2024, can we assume this has to be renewed then unless we go down the UK citizen route which would then override any expiry date ?
    ... well done to BOTH you and your missus, Malcolm. Please note ... since the above post actually turned out to be a duplicate, I have put it to good use as a redirect while transferring the original - to a new, separate thread of its own - for reasons that'll immediately make sense once you've ... under the Category: 'UK Visas & British Citizenship'.

Thread Information