Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Lightbulb More Reflections

When we left the UK to relocate we actually did that a full year ahead of the original grand plan.

We did it solely because we both felt that the timing was right. We didn't do it because we felt unhappy or fed up with UK life and thought that moving out here would change us into happy people.

Personally, I believe that if you're an unhappy person looking for happiness in the Philippines then you're most likely in for a short sharp shock and an ending filled with disillusionment. This, despite the fact that your UK pound will actually stretch a long long way. Even at today's awful RoE.

Don't come all the way to the Philippines if you harbour any source of discontentment within yourself. You'll just be bring the same old baggage. There's really no special ingredient here for a happiness recipe.

I need to temper my enthusiasm, but really, I feel like I'm living a life in paradise. I find enjoyment in everything, the culture, the food and the wonderful people I meet. It certainly doesn't mean everything is perfect, I doubt everything ever will be. It doesn't mean that all our decisions have been right. We're still open minded about where we want to finally settle down. But the simple pleasures of our daily life are always there.

As a retiree my daily life is rather unscheduled and closer, in reality, to being on holiday. Life for me here is not at all a typical one that my friends, family and neighbours experience. Generally their lives are based centered around making a living and I'm so grateful for the time they freely give to help and guide us in our life here. My life is really opposite to theirs in that it's largely centered around experiencing those simple things that thrill my soul whenever the desire drives me.

It's certainly the case that financials impact everyone's experience. As I said, for us it is much cheaper to live here than in UK but it does depend entirely on the kind of lifestyle you plan on having. Yes, we feel our overall lifestyle and quality of life has improved hugely. But it's different. To a large extent, a successful move depends on how you bridge the gap between how you thought it would be and how it actually is, together with a positive and flexible outlook

Retirement in the Philippines can be great if it's done for the right reasons and with a positive outlook to enjoy and find happiness. Accept the Philippines for what it can offer.

Don't expect to just transfer the life you have now to the Philippines. I doubt very much you'll find a way to do that.

Don't make your retirement here based solely on back of financials. Research, research and research again on what makes you happy. If it's not available here don't come.

Just my rambling and experience sharing.

I'm getting a bit nervous now about by upcoming application to immigration for Permanent Residence. If something went wrong I'd be devastated. Fingers crossed!

I am sure you will be asked lots of questions Terpe, as you have successfully taken the plunge and gone over there. Forwarding mail, how to do transfer pensions etc over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Yes, we feel our overall lifestyle and quality of life has improved hugely. But it's different.

I'm getting a bit nervous now about by upcoming application to immigration for Permanent Residence. If something went wrong I'd be devastated. Fingers crossed!
    that your happy and good luck with the PR

why has your lifestyle and quality of life improved Peter, in what ways ?
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Great post again Peter,

Peter, you are the last person i expected to be nervous about a fairly simple procedure. Over the years i have never met or heard about someone, who is happily married being refused permanent residency. Yes, the procedure can drag on at times if you dont have the proper paperwork but there is no way they will refuse your application

Very good post and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

So happy for you both. We are also planning to do six months here and six months in the Phils. A dream which we hope will come true.

You are in one of my favorite places in the Philippines. I almost move there years ago because of its cleanliness and fresh foodie.

Enjoy life

thanks for sharing Peter,

remember your 1st year is not permanent residency,

no need to feel nervous about your upcoming application, everything will go just fine,

for the interview,,as long as you remember your wifes name, birth date her age,and when you 1st met and married date, perhaps things like her nick name ect, just to show then you have a real relationship living together,
    your and her source of income,
    you may not be asked so much on your 1st year interview , i was asked very little,the attorny was pushed for time and took only about 10 minutes for the interview,in manila,
    cagayan for my permanent residency the interview was much longer but very friendly the attorny was a trained phsycolist , im told they all are,
    your relationship is without doubt genuine so you have no worries

Thanks to all for reading my thoughts. Just hope it wasn't too OTT.

I'll keep updating my experiences and commentary about life as a retiree and just maybe it'll help others who have a mind to do the same.

I have so many different experiences every single day. Most are funny, some highlight serious cultural differences and some are downright scary.

I sometimes fantasise what life would be like if I was single.
    Joke joke (not)

I sometimes fantasise what life would be like if I was single.
    Joke joke (not)
    Been there...Done that!!

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    that your happy and good luck with the PR

why has your lifestyle and quality of life improved Peter, in what ways ?

Well here's a few that come immediately to mind

Transportation is not only very very cheap, it's availability is constant with pick-up and drop-off at the request of the passenger.
    Means getting out and about for daily needs, exploration or tourism is virtually on tap.

Being lovers of seafood we can indulge ourselves whenever we want with a grand selection of fresh produce from the ocean. We can choose from any number of local markets depending on what we'd like to buy.

Fresh fruits and vegetables are at every market. So many fruits to enjoy.
    Plus all those usual vegetables available in UK with a few more besides.

We are within walking distance of a number of beautiful beaches. There are sophisticated beach resorts, public beaches with shelters and facilities and also pristine undeveloped natural beach havens. Choose one to suit your mood.

The mountains are clearly visible in our landscape every day and within a short 30 mins drive to many of the mountain attractions.

I've gotten back into fishing, photography and water colour painting simply because the scope and opportunities are there on my doorstep.

The weather suits me totally. Yes, it's hot, but first thing in the morning from say 6am to 10am it's beautiful. Same goes for the late afternoon and evening. Simply wonderful every day.

We are surrounded by cheerful, joyful people who really couldn't be more friendly or helpful. They seem to have a natural ability to make you feel good about yourself and to look out for others too.

We all have different ideas about what makes us happy and what needs and wants fulfil our desires.
    Mine may be completely different to yours. But let me say there are many more small details in life that make us feel good and give us so much pleasure that we never want to let that part of life leave us.

Not everyone's cup of tea I know but within 20 mins of our house we have a choice of over 7 massive shopping malls. Each with a large selection of entertainment and a large selection of restaurants and 'eateries'
    Apart from that there are many nice places to eat along every street.
    Here in the Philippines eating out is not anywhere near as expensive as UK.

We're lucky enough to have found a beautiful place to live. Village life. Quiet and peaceful surrounded by open spaces, coconut trees, banana trees, mango, pomelo and any others. We feel at peace with the world. Yet the chaos of the local market is just a few minutes walk away. I'll not mention anything about our house or our specific location. Better to keep that for ourselves.

I couldn't end this post without mentioning something about medical care.
    Yes, I understand it's not free and I understand it can be expensive. That can be a big downside under certain circumstances. However, the general care and facilities available at any number of our local hospitals is second to none and not expensive.
    So I count that as a positive since it's a significant improvement on what we faced back in our Northampton village medical centre.

Better finish this post as my enthusiasm is getting OTT again

Perhaps I should try to balance out a little by listing a few things that are not conducive to a happy peaceful life.
    Yes, there are quite a few, just as there are anywhere.

It all depends on your attitude of mind and your frame of reference as to where on the scale things get measured and placed.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Been there...Done that!!
    Hadn't considered that aspect before.
    I can easily understand how so many distractions could..........
    Whoops, better not go down that road.

We all have different ideas about what makes us happy and what needs and wants fulfil our desires.
    Mine may be completely different to yours.
    thanks Peter, your right there seafood would be last on my list

and may you keep being
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    So happy for you Peter. I myself would prefer to live in the Philippines than here in the UK. Although with Keith's condition, it would cost us a lot just with the medical expenses, so not worth it for him. Good thing that I can adjust here anyway. But I would really retire there with my family, eventually.

I really miss A LOT of things in Philippines, especially the food. I miss my family and friends and the comfort that they always bring to me. My in-laws and Keith's relatives are very welcoming and I feel their love towards me, but still, it feels very different how my entire family treat each other, and that's what I really miss.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    So happy for you Peter. I myself would prefer to live in the Philippines than here in the UK. Although with Keith's condition, it would cost us a lot just with the medical expenses, so not worth it for him. Good thing that I can adjust here anyway. But I would really retire there with my family, eventually.

I really miss A LOT of things in Philippines, especially the food. I miss my family and friends and the comfort that they always bring to me. My in-laws and Keith's relatives are very welcoming and I feel their love towards me, but still, it feels very different how my entire family treat each other, and that's what I really miss.
    Rayna.. My Mum came over for 4 months to see us last year.. She brought all her meds with her..(6 months supply)
    Where there`s a will there`s way.

Visiting there for a few weeks or months is different than living permanently. I wouldn't mind but I know Keith would have a hard time. We would have to have a big wad of money for him to be comfortable there even for a month stay..hahaha
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Visiting there for a few weeks or months is different than living permanently. I wouldn't mind but I know Keith would have a hard time. We would have to have a big wad of money for him to be comfortable there even for a month stay..hahaha
    For many Fil/UK couples,living permanently here is not really an option so they do 4/6 months here during U.K winter and 4/6 months in the UK in the summer.
    My Mum had never been to Asia before but from now on it looks like she will come every year..She loves it here..(Even wants me to build her a house!)
    If she can adjust to the food here I`m sure Keith can.
    Stop molly coddling him and start force feeding him Balut and Diniguan..
    He`ll be fine.

I'm not molly cuddling him. He always complain that I don't even make him a coffee!

He hates Filipino food. Whenever he's in the Philippines, our common arguments would always be where or what to eat because he can't find any place he liked other than KFC or a decent Chinese restaurant! That's why he would always prefer to stay near MOA coz at least there are a few options for him there. Another complaint is how slow the internet, which is my complaint as well. With his type of work, he really needs a very fast internet. That's why he is looking forward to our place getting fibre optics on Sept. this year.

I know Philippines is not his ideal place to live in. If there was any hint of him liking a life there, I would've asked him already. What he really wants though is to live in Las Vegas or somewhere near that. Not having the money is the only thing that's stopping him. Hahaha.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Interesting stuff, Peter.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Great post Peter, I understand what you are saying and the shiny side of the Philippines is great so embrace it, but for me it's the dark side that puts me off from living there. Rayna's comment on Keith not liking Philippine food I understand completely even though Maritess missed the food and Family so much and even she understands now why I used to moan about certain things but I won't go into detail, what I will say is I like my home comforts and I like everything to be spotless. Great place for a holiday though looking forward to visiting again in April 2017!

When we left the UK to relocate we actually did that a full year ahead of the original grand plan.

We did it solely because we both felt that the timing was right.
    I saw a guy singing this song by the gogo dolls on tv a week or so ago, reminded me of your move and your new start again

I'll take you back where you belong
    And this will be our favorite song
    Come to me with secrets bare
    I'll love you more so don't be scared
    When we're old and near the end
    We'll go home and start again

Thats nice

Thread Information