Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Lightbulb A Banana a day keeps the Doctor away

The song tells us that "Adam ate the apple which Eve did thieve" and in UK the Apple seems to be biggest selling fruit.
    We can all recall the adadge that "An apple a day keeps the Doctor away".

Here in the Philippines apples are somewhat expensive.

Bananas on the other hand are as cheap as chips and abundantly available.

I've put together some hopefully useful information on the benefits of bananas and why I now believe that a banana a day keeps the Doctor away.

Bananas have more vitamin A and vitamin C when compared to an apple.

A typical 100 grams of banana contains:-
    90 calories
    64 I.U vitamin A
    0.04mg vitamin B
    thiamine
    10mg vitamin C
    8mg calcium
    0.4mg iron:
    28mg phosphorus
    360mg potassium
    27mg magnesium
    0.2mg zinc
    23g carbohydrates
    1.2mg protein

10 Benefits Of Eating A Banana

1) Bananas protect against heartburns. The Journal of Nutritional Biochemisty (February, 2001) attests to the anti-ulcer properties of the banana. Bananas act like a natural antacid to the stomach. In this article, they identified the secret component in the banana, the flavonoid leucocyanidin. Studies show that bananas can protect against aspirin-induced gastritis and significantly increase the mucous membrane lining of the stomach.

2) Bananas are high in fiber and vitamins. A single banana contains 16 percent of the dietary fiber, 15 percent of the vitamin C, 11 percent of the potassium, and 20 percent of the vitamin B6 recommended each day.

Sorry, apple lovers, but apples have zero amount of vitamin C. Bananas also have soluble fiber, which may help lower blood cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke.

3) Bananas are good for the heart. Potassium is an essential mineral needed to regulate water balance, acidity level, and blood pressure of the body. A lack of potassium may cause muscle weakness and irregular heartbeat. For patients taking a diuretic medicine, they should take two bananas a day to keep the potassium level up. Take note also that bananas have zero sodium (good for high blood pressure) and zero fat and cholesterol (good for those with high cholesterol).

4) Bananas may reduce strokes. Numerous studies have shown that low potassium levels can cause heart palpitations, which can then lead to a stroke. In the editorial of the prestigious Neurology Journal, the author suggests that a banana a day may keep a stroke away. Among the fruits and vegetables, bananas contain one of the highest amounts of potassium.

5) Bananas help counter stress and insomnia. Bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin. Serotonin is a hormone that is known to make you feel happy and improve your mood. If you feel sad, don’t despair. Take a banana and be happy.

6) Diabetics may take bananas in moderation. Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep the blood sugar normal. The food-and-nutrition glycemic index rating for a ripe, yellow banana is 51, which is fairly good. This means that the carbohydrates in a banana have a medium-to-slow effect in raising your blood sugar levels. However, as bananas ripen, the starch in the fruit turns to sugar and may cause your blood sugar to rise more. The lesson is: It’s okay to eat a banana, but not the overripe one.

7) Bananas fights fatigue and anemia. Bananas contain carbohydrates and thus boost our energy, as Mang Ruben will attest. Have you seen Roger Federer eat a banana between games? The high potassium content prevents cramps and provides instant energy with its easily digestible starch. Bananas are also a rich source of iron, thus it is helpful for patients with anemia.

8) Bananas may prevent leukemia. A study published in the American Journal of Epidemiology by Kwan et al. (Dec. 2004, pp. 1098-107) shows an association between regular consumption of bananas and oranges in children from ages 0 to 2 and a reduction in childhood leukemia. The result suggests that fruits or fruit juices containing vitamin C and potassium may reduce the risk of childhood leukemia, especially if consumed at a young age.

9) Bananas may prevent childhood asthma. A European study of 2,640 primary school children in South London concludes that eating bananas at least once a day reduces episodes of wheezing and asthma attacks in children (European Respiratory Journal, Feb. 14, 2007). Eating apples and other fruits was not as beneficial. Also, eating only one banana a month was not effective. Note to moms: It’s time to teach our kids to eat one banana a day.

10) It’s Filipino and the best news about the lowly banana is that it’s cheap. That is why Mang Ruben can buy a bunch or two a day. And it comes in a great package. A banana can fit cleanly in your bag. Just cut it high up in the stem. When you feel hungry and stressed, reach for a banana.

The only downside with bananas is that some people may become constipated. If this is the case, then maybe you can mix your bananas with other fruits like papaya and watermelon to loosen your bowels. Taking in lots of water also helps.

Source
    I find myself eating around 6-10 bananas a day

I find myself eating around 6-10 bananas a day
    That's a lot of calories!

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Peter, have you tried the señorita bananas??? They're one of the sweetest bananas there is in the Philippines. My mum always buy that type of bananas and it's always finished in one seating!

-=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

My favourite ways to eat bananas:

Cornflakes with milk and a layer of sliced banana on top, sugar on top of the banana layer, then top off with Carnation evaporated.

Bread and butter banana sandwich, methods:

1/ Slices of banana laid in the sandwich, sprinkle over with sugar, close the sandwich then enjoy

2/ Instead of sliced, mash with sugar until mushy. Add a little milk if preferred while mashing. That's your sandwich filling.

Also try:

Peel banana from skin, make a batter, dip banana in batter then fry

Make your own banana milk shake

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Peter, have you tried the señorita bananas??? They're one of the sweetest bananas there is in the Philippines. My mum always buy that type of bananas and it's always finished in one seating!

Love those bananas. Wish you could buy them here. Did manage to get some at a Barrio Fiesta a few years ago but not seen them since.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    Love them Bananas wish you could buy them here. Did manage to get some at a Barrio Fiesta a few years ago but not seen them since.
    Bananas sold here in the UK are nothing compared to these cute little sweet bananas!
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Bananas sold here in the UK are nothing compared to these cute little sweet bananas!
    Just how Filipinas are: Cute, little & sweet
    Mick.

Yes Rayna, I just love those too.
    There are so many tasty bananas to try.
    Yesterday my wife made banana Q
    Today it was boiled Saba banana.

It's been said that Saba banana diet is an easy way to lose weight.
    I seem to have lost loads since arriving here.

So many banana varieties so little time

Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    That's a lot of calories!
    Well each banana is really quite small. Easily less than 100g when peeled.
    I must be burning calories because I'm losing weight and inches.

Not eating much meat really. No red meat since I arrived.

Loads of seafood though

Tonight I BBQ'd 3 big portions of tuna panga (jaw)
    Followed by 3 bananas and a honey mango

Quote Originally Posted by mickcant View Post
    Just how Filipinas are: Cute, little & sweet
    Mick.

So I've discovered.
    Just can't believe how cheap they are here in Davao.
    Average about P20 - P25 per kilo in our local market.

Even cheaper in the big market P8 jeep ride away

The latest rumours concern big investment in manufacturing shoes from the skins of banana's.

It seems that banana skins make good slippers

Boom boom

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    The latest rumours concern big investment in manufacturing shoes from the skins of banana's.

It seems that banana skins make good slippers

Boom boom
    Jake...new proposals for your business!
    -=rayna.keith=-

Thread Information