Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

Renewing passport and changing it to your married name

Hi everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone can enlighten me and could provide me with some advice. Here's the situation.

My Spouse Visa will expire in August and I am due to apply for the extension of FLR(M) in July. The problem is my passport is expiring in August. I am planning on renewing my passport next month as we all know how long it takes sometimes to process the passport renewal at the Embassy. I just don't want to take the risk of having it delayed when I'm about to apply for my extension or my passport expires while processing the visa extension.

Would it be worth changing my passport into my married name upon renewing it? My current visa is still under my maiden name. On the visa application form, it asks for the name on your passport. If I will be changing my name on the new passport, will this affect my visa application? Another thing is, I have been using my married name. Could this potentially cause any problem as well?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    It is worthwhile changing to your married name once passport is up for renewal so you can go ahead and do that now no probs.

No, your visa application will not be affected by using your married name as your marriage certificate will show both anyway.

There is no problem using your married name this will have no issues regarding your forthcoming visa application.

Hope that helps.....

Mark...

Respected Member
    Thank you for the advice Mark.

Kind Regards

Thread Information