Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Tax and Benefits help please

Hello guys, I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for an answer to all my worries.

First, I'm on a Further leave to Remain visa for 2 years. My husband is an English guy. And he is on benefits. We live in the countryside and I'm planning to work in London. My employer is willing to pay my N. I. and Tax and, for sure, my husband's benefits will be less. The problem is, I plan to stay in London on weekdays and come back weekends to stay with my husband. But my husband said if I'm going to stay in London on week days because of my job, I should use my London address for my tax and National Insurance so that his benefits are not affected. Is that possible?

My FLR visa will expire after a year and I will apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. Will this situation affect my circumstances because we only live together during the weekends. I know we need to prove that are living together, so I'm confused as to whether or not things can work like this.

Thanks

Having never been in that position myself, Edna ... I'm hardly the most qualified person to answer your question. But I do know living at the same address is one of the MAIN prerequisites for the married partner who is seeking to apply for ILR.

Otherwise ... ... how do you suppose the arrangement you mention would reconcile with the amount of "Single" Person's Benefits paid to your husband (in addition to the 25% Council Tax Discount he'd receive as a person living on his own) from the Authorities point of view?

Not too well, I should imagine.

Thanks and I do understand. As married, what should I do if we stay together but I don't get anything? What should I do coz my husband it seems did nothing. Does he need to tell Council that I'm living with him and the Housing Benefits people? What are my rights?

Thanks, I do appreciate all your comments.

Respected Member
    I can see your husband's view here, but I'm not in agreement.

1. You need to be resident at the same address and prove you resided and lived together to get the ILR. Surely this is priority 1?
    2. If he claims benefits and you work then your 'household' has more income and the benefits should be re-assessed. Not nice, and I don't know what benefits he is on, but if they are related to a disability then perhaps they won't be affected? Whatever the case, 'we', the rest of the UK taxpayers should not be be subsidising your arrangement.

Good luck with your work, but don't take your eye off the ball with regards to ILR!

Basically, if you want to remain in this country, forget about living in London. You need to ask yourself what is more important, a few extra pounds in your pocket or the right to stay in the UK - and I think you know the answer to that.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    This is one reason I refused 2 job offers I got in the past. According to the agents I talked to, the job was somewhere near London. They both offered me the same thing like what you told here. One guy even told me that I should just rent near the place of work and stay there during weekdays and then go back home here in North Wales every weekends. He said that a lot do that. It might be easier if I'm a British citizen as well, but I'm under an immigration control. Besides, I came here to live with my husband and not be with him just during weekdays. It's not worth it even with the salary they offered me (it will not be enough with rent costs or moving near there) and most importantly, I don't want to risk my visa.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Thanks a lot, I do understand and am really thankful for the feedback. Lastly, I want to ask if I need to put my name on the bills even though I'm not paying any of them. Or is it not necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by edna1990 View Post

Does he need to tell the Council that I'm living with him and the Housing Benefits people?
    Yes, ... legally your husband must inform BOTH the Council and its respective Housing Benefits Section of the date on which you came to the UK to live with him.

I'm really glad coz all questions have been answered very clearly to me. Thank you so much for the time and effort you've given to me. I'm sure more people will come who need your good advice. God Bless.

Thanks a lot, I do understand and am really thankful for the feedback. Lastly, I want to ask if I need to put my name on the bills even though I'm not paying any of them. Or is it not necessary?

Yes. You need proof of cohabitation with your husband, and having your name included in the bills (i.e. electric, water, phone bills, etc.) will be a requirement in your ILR application. You would need at least 6 different types of billing statements. If your husband has not done this before, then you need to ask him to do it ASAP. The requirement in ILR needs to show proof of cohabitation over 2 years (if you are included in the old rules) or 5 years (if you are in the new rules).
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Again ... it's advisable to arrange for yours and your husband's names to appear on as many household bills, as possible (Council Tax Demands principally, I'd say) to show you're living together.

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Hello guys, I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for an answer to all my worries.

First, I'm on a Further leave to Remain visa for 2 years. My husband is an English guy. And he is on benefits. We live in the countryside and I'm planning to work in London. My employer is willing to pay my N. I. and Tax and, for sure, my husband's benefits will be less. The problem is, I plan to stay in London on weekdays and come back weekends to stay with my husband. But my husband said if I'm going to stay in London on week days because of my job, I should use my London address for my tax and National Insurance so that his benefits are not affected. Is that possible?

My FLR visa will expire after a year and I will apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. Will this situation affect my circumstances because we only live together during the weekends. I know we need to prove that are living together, so I'm confused as to whether or not things can work like this.

Thanks
    Please don't underestimate the UKVI there are very strict on immigration rules, hold on and wait for that infamous ILR then consider options like this good luck...

Yes I will do that. Again, thanks to all

Hi again, can I ask once more? Can my husband sponsor my daughter to come here and live with us? She's under 18, I was a single mum when we met and got married.

Hi again, can I ask once more? Can my husband sponsor my daughter to come here and live with us? She's under 18, I was a single mum when we met and got married.
    Yes he can. You can do a search here in the forum (search bar at the top right of the page) about what needs to be done for that case.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Thread Information