Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

The Worlds best Long Haul Airlines

So it seems Etihad and Quatar are judged to be the best Long Haul Airlines, and some dont even make the List Namely; Cathay Pacific, Singapore, Philippines and numerous others, and for me Turkish Airlines is for me a surprise to see them well up in the list.

http://skift.com/2015/01/16/the-worl...ul-experience/

Take a look and what in your opinion are the best/worst airlines that you have flown with, my limited Long Haul experiences have been with; KLM, Air France, China Southern, Kuwait Air, and from those few Airlines i would put Air France as Top and Kuwait Air at the bottom by a distance, Air France i have no complaints, and very few from KLM or China Southern, but Kuwait fell down on Plane Lateness and both Service onboard, and the free Meal (nothing more than a very Basic Buffet) at Kuwait Airport whilst we were delayed, and we were also delayed whilst boarding and taking off at Heathrow.

I did not include the short Hauls in The UK, Canada, China and the Philippines, as its unfair to compare with Long haul Flights.

Trusted Member
    I flew to the Phils once last year with Etihad and twice with Emirates...both excellent airlines I'd say.

My choices are more limited, as being a Northerner, I prefer to fly from Manchester.

I've flown long haul many times with numerous different airlines. My current preferred airline is Emirates but I haven't flown with Singapore Airlines yet and my expectation is that they will exceed.

The worst long haul flight to date is Thai Airways who couldn't be bothered to bring around any water to passengers during a night flight at the time when passengers couldn't take their own fluids on-board. Numerous passengers (particularly those who couldn't exit their window or middle seat because someone was asleep) suffered unnecessarily from dehydration We didn't see any of the air attendant crew as they were all asleep

I also found the air crew of Air France to be extremely rude and unprofessional during an incident they dealt with involving another passenger, but that's another story .......

I have flown to Thailand a few times last year with Thai air and found it pretty average, though luckily not as bad as you Rosie. Most night flights seem like that, they try to settle you down quickly, turn off the lights and you dont see many aircrew until breakfast.

I have now got to the stage where I dont like 12 hour non stop flights, so last time I flew with Qatar to Bangkok, roughly 6 hour stages with a short break at Doha. At least you get to look at a different crew to break the monotony. As long as I get a bit of food and a couple of G & Ts I am a happy flier.

We only have 2 choices now to Philippines as we prefer to fly into Clarke. Cathay, always liked them but a 12 hour flight from London to HK is off putting for me, or Qatar, and I find the food very average.

Trusted Member
    Yes, I like to break up the journey a bit now also.

With the right flight on Etihad or Emirates, it will be about 7 hours, then a walk around the airport in the mid-east for 1 to 3 hours, then another 8 hours to Manila.

I leurrrrrrve Etihad. So they're nothing REALLY special, but the entertainment is always ok, the food is usually acceptable (Airline food is never going to be any good - lets get over that), staff are good and I've/we've never really had reason to complain. Abu Dhabi airport is very acceptable, but most airports in the modern world are ok nowadays be honest.
    Oh but do avoid like the plague when they come round early morning and ask if you want a chicken or vegetable sandwich. They are the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted, it's like a sick filled piece of stodge.

Emirates are just more of the same, with a marginally better airport to transfer to (Dubai).

Air France, well the flight is good and being France they like to offer you small baguettes which made me laugh as the stereotype was being prodded.
    They are though notorious (Seriously) for selling flights on their website needing a very difficult to manage fast transfer. The slightest delay in your first leg flight and you'll miss it, and I once was taken almost by the hand by a nice lady at the desk and we sprinted across CDG through the staff doors to get my flight. This isn't unusual, they're frankly idiots for this, but once you know, you can manually select a later connecting flight, so it's no biggie.

I like KLM but have rarely used them.

Yes, I had that with Cathay flying Lhr-HK-Clark 50 minutes transfer time.
    Was not helped by the lovely lady holding up the wrong gate number for connecting flight, at the opposite end of the airport. By the time I found out the mistake I had to run through the airport, which is big, being dragged along by one of the flight attendents...

I now prefer 90 mins to 2 hours transfer times

I flew three times last year to the Phils.

Once with Cathay Pacific and twice with Singapore Airlines.

Happy with both airlines but on my last trip my baggage didn't arrive in Cebu till the day after I arrived. Which caused some anxiety as I was getting married and I had a lot of the stuff I needed in my case.

They did communicate well though and that did relieve my anxieties.

Might try Emirates next time, but I like the fact both Singapore and Cathay fly to Cebu bypassing Manila.

Thread Information