Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

Child born in the Phils

Reading so much different information

Is it safe to say that a child born in the Phils of a British father/Filipina qualifies as a British citizen and can obtain a British passport ?

I'm a full British citizen, family going back 100's of years. Only point that out for clarification so not to be confused with other citizenships.

Am I right that I may only need to ensure my name is on the birth certificate and maybe a good idea to have DNA report for proof ?

Is there anything else that I should be aware of?

Cheers in advance.

Gerry

If you are a naturalized British citizen, then your children are also able to hold duel nationality. My two children born in Phils, filipina mother both hold full British passports and full Philippine passports.Of course if you are the father, then your name goes on the birth certificate, no need for a DNA Jeremy Kyle styleee!!
    Before the new system came in, you just had to prove you were in Phils at the time of conception and provide all the hospital documentation, scan photos and bills, plus all the relevant documents for the first passport application. These days it is all done online, which I have no experience of yet, but will have to do it after my new baby is born in March.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Yes, the child will be British by Descent or, if you're a British citizen, otherwise than by descent

And no not automatically if you're British by Descent

http://www.aboutimmigration.co.uk/re...-national.html

I think you will need your passport to show you were in the Phils at the time the child was conceived
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Respected Member
    It actually mentions on the Gov't website that a DNA Test would help !!

Thanks for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by gm47 View Post
    It actually mentions on the Gov't website that a DNA Test would help !!

Thanks for the replies
    You might be asked for a DNA test if they have any concerns about your application.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Respected Member
    I see, cheers

I thought a "naturalised" citizen is someone applying for citizenship. Well, that's how I read it on the Gov't website. I am a British citizen as per the test on the site

Family born and raised here since the 13th century - as far back as we found anyway

Respected Member
    Thanks Steve and Joe. I feel confident that I will be ok now.

Quote Originally Posted by gm47 View Post
    I see, cheers!

I thought a "naturalised" citizen is someone applying for citizenship. Well, that's how I read it on the Gov't website. I am a British citizen as per the test on the site

Family born and raised here since the 13th century - as far back as we found anyway.
    No problem then , but your child's children will not automatically become British unless they are born in the UK

Good luck

Trusted Member
    I think the OP has made it quite clear that he is a native Brit. No need to complicate the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I think the OP has made it quite clear that he is a native Brit. No need to complicate the issue.
    Oh no, no, no!! I think you can only claim if you can trace back to 479AD
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Oh no, no, no!! I think you can only claim if you can trace back to 479AD
    It doesn't matter if his family does go back to 479AD or BC, if he was born outside the UK his kids will not automatically be British if they are born outside the UK, simple as. He doesn't mention in his post he was born in the UK, only he is 'Fully British' which I take he means he's British otherwise than by descent. So then you shouldn't presume anything

Trusted Member
    'Only point that out for clarification so not to be confused with other citizenships'.

I was a civil servant, and even then I wouldn't have needed further clarification after that statement.

I don't think the original poster was confused thou I'm sure he will let us know.

Also, if you were a civil servant at the Embassy you would be checking if he was a British citizen otherwise than by descent or a British citizen by descent and not just assuming he was or wasn't

Trusted Member
    I can now sympathise with Dedworth.

Respected Member
    thanks ALL for the answers. I feel confident now and fully understand everyone's points
    yes I was born in the UK of British parents and grandparents

thanks to all of you

best of luck again

My wife lives with me in the UK and is here on a spouse visa. If she goes back to the Philippines to have our child there are more benefits and rights to be born over there than i will ever have. Just toying with the idea as property and land we have out there can be theirs when we are gone because they were born over there.
    You think this is a good option?
    Yes, they would have UK and philippine passport, is there no down side to my thoughts here?
    They would both be back over here in the UK when they were fit to fly and paperwork all sorted.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    If your child will be born in the Philippines, his/her kids (your future grandkids) won't be automatically British unless they are born in the UK.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

If that is the only downside then that is not a problem. Things change so fast in this modern world and that is a bridge to far in the future to cross.

Trusted Member
    Given the choice between (maternity) health care in the Phils and the same here...no contest.

Your British-born baby can later be 'recognised' as a Filipino citizen anyway, as I arranged for my son to be (when he was almost 2 years old). There is a proper process for this, detailed on one of the Phils Government's websites.

Thread Information