Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie/Kumusta

Smile Newbie/Kumusta

Hello/Kumusta,

I found this forum and wanted to join and say Hello

Next month I will flying out to Cebu to meet my girlfriend for the first time [feeling nervous] and wanted to find some friends here in the Midlands that are Filipino and to find local communities

A friend of mine who goes to church has told me that there are local Filipino communities around and wanted to discover more

PS Would love some advice of where I can learn Cebuano, trying to learn from books but finding it a bit difficult.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Welcome to the Forum Daryl, you will soon learn a lot of things from your girlfriend and she will be your best tutor. Good luck on your trip to Cebu - enjoy!

Welcome Daryl.

How did you meet your gf? And how long have you been talking? I wish you luck, but just be careful and streetwise.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Hi and a warm welcome to Filipino UK

Have a great time.
    Enjoy the Philipinies.
    As has been mentioned take care and be very wary.
    Means be careful how you spend your time and money

Hope all is wonderful

Thank you for all your warm welcomes

We have been communication since October everyday via Skype and Facebook; I have met her family on Skype too

I met her on a dating website, there were a couple of time wasters on the dating site but I believe that she is the real deal as the conversation just flows between the two of us

Any advice for my first trip would be very welcomed, please feel free to PM me too

Trusted Member
    Tip one:

Limit her 'chaperones' to ONE, otherwise you may find yourself financing a whole village.

Welcome to the forum.

There is a small community of Filipino's in Bartley Green, not too far from you. (A lot of them work in the Q.E).

As for your trip across....

You're only meant to bring 10,000 Philippine Pesos into the country (£150 approx)

If you're staying on Cebu Island only you won't need malaria tablets but use protection (spray/wipes) against the threat of dengue fever from mosquitoes.

I can't think of anything more at the moment apart from don't send any money to your Filipina.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Tip one:

Limit her 'chaperones' to ONE, otherwise you may find yourself financing a whole village.
    That reminds me.

If you're invited to a family meal at a restaurant, Daryl, you'll be footing the bill. All of it.

Trusted Member
    I think you meant Php10,000 Jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I think you meant Php10,000 Jamie.
    That's the one.

I better edit it now to avoid confusion.

Welcome to the forum Daryl, I hope that the first meeting with your Filipina goes well and I'm sure that she will be just as nervous as you . Whichever way you travel, it's a long and often uncomfortable flight so make sure you get plenty of sleep in the "sleep bank" before you go.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to exchange PMs on the forum until you have made a certain number of posts ...... sorry, can't remember how many.

Daryl ... ! Lots of good, well~meaning advice for you to consider ahead of your trip.

Enjoy when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

There is a small community of Filipino's in Bartley Green, not too far from you. (A lot of them work in the Q.E).

As for your trip across....

You're only meant to bring 10,000 Philippine Pesos into the country (£150 approx)

If you're staying on Cebu Island only you won't need malaria tablets but use protection (spray/wipes) against the threat of dengue fever from mosquitoes.

I can't think of anything more at the moment apart from don't send any money to your Filipina.
    Only PHP10,000!!! That's not a lot, what happens if you take more?

She has never asked for money from me

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie1958 View Post
    Welcome to the forum Daryl, I hope that the first meeting with your Filipina goes well and I'm sure that she will be just as nervous as you . Whichever way you travel, it's a long and often uncomfortable flight so make sure you get plenty of sleep in the "sleep bank" before you go.

Unfortunately, you won't be able to exchange PMs on the forum until you have made a certain number of posts ...... sorry, can't remember how many.
    Yes she is, we have both admitted to each other how nervous we are

The longest I've flown is about 8 hours before, how uncomfortable is it [I'm flying with Philippines Air]? In the past I have been able to sleep OK on planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl.T View Post
    Hi Daryl
    The P10k peso is solely a limit on the amount of pesos you can bring into the Philippines.

The limit on how much cash you can bring into the Philippines in other currencies is the equivalent of USD10,000.

I certainly wouldn't advise you arrive or roam around with large amounts of cash like that anyway.
    There are plenty of ATM's around (although some may charge you P200 for withdrawals on a foreign card)
    Plenty of places will also accept debit/credit cards for transactions.

You should easily be able to secure cash Peso's at your local bank or currency exchange at home. Allow time as many will need to order if they don't have any to hand.

Do not bring travellers cheques. You spend most of your holiday looking for somewhere to cash them.

When you arrive you'll fill in a Customs Declarations Form
    Here's a link to the form from the Philippine Bureau of Customs.

If you bring more than P10k without declaration and get caught then you're taking a big risk of confiscation at best and deportation and blacklisting at worst.

The longest I've flown is about 8 hours before, how uncomfortable is it [I'm flying with Philippines Air]? In the past I have been able to sleep OK on planes.
    I find 8 hours a breeze ............ just add another 6 hours to how you felt after your longest trip to give you some idea . I guess it depends on your tolerance levels and often the length of your legs versus the available leg room, particularly if you travel economy.

I haven't flown Air Philippines, been with BA, Emirates, Cathay Pacific and KLM, The last time I went in 2010 (unplanned urgent trip) it was Air France Heathrow to Paris, Paris to Hong Kong with a 5 hour connection wait and then Cathay Pacific Hong Kong to Manila. It took 27 hours and I didn't sleep a wink! I'm not tall but being cramped in the same seat for such a long time is a killer. I have also been fortunate to fly business class which certainly helps to make the journey a bit more bearable but I'd prefer to take a magic carpet any day!

Hi Daryl, learning the lingo: As someone has already said learning from your Gf is the best and most enjoyable way to learn.

I visited the Philippines back in 2013, and my first calling place was Cebu. The people of the Philippines are a friendly lot, so don't be nervous, there's no need. One thing I will advise is prepare yourself for the poverty that you see around you, especially the beggars wherever you go. As an example, on the 2nd evening I was in Cebu, I decided to take an evening stroll around the locality where I was staying (something I always like to do wherever I visit) and was approached by high double figures (ladies of the night) something that I have never experienced before. I admire Filipinos and there family lifestyle, something we have for the most part lost here in the UK. They make the most of what they have, and are lovely and friendly people.

Taking money with you. Yeah, take an amount you are comfortable with, but it's easy to get money from ATMs or Money Changers. There are, if i remember correctly, several of these at The Ayala Mall, which I'm sure your Gf will take you to if you are staying in or near Cebu City. But it's absolutely NOT a problem changing money in the Philippines.

One thing I will advise you to be aware of (and I was totally unaware of it) is when you eventually leave the Philippines, you have to pay an amount (is it 1200 pesos ?) as you leave the departure lounge. I was lucky as I still had some pesos with me, but it could have been embarrassing, lol.

Anyway Daryl, good luck enjoy your visit, and take in as much as you can. I don't know how long you have managed to get, but however long it is, it won't be long enough.

Unknowingly I took 32K on my first trip and it was only when I was speaking to a fellow Brit on my stopover in Riyadh did I realise. I spent the second leg of journey deliberating whether to declare it or not and in the end I decided to be honest about it. The customs official at the NAIA didn't bat an eyelid and was more interested in the couple of watches I brought over as presents.

Another thing.

Remember to tell your bank(s) of the dates you will be in the Philippines or you'll have problems obtaining money from the cash machines. You may have to pay a fee too, to your bank in the UK and the one you are using over there. Most of us use a currency card like the Caxton which works out better for your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry T View Post
    One thing i will advise you to be aware of, and i was totally unaware of it, is when you eventually leave the philippines, you have to pay an amount (is it 1200 pesos ?) as you leave the departure lounge, i was lucky as i still had some pesos with me, but it could have been embarasing lol.
    Departure tax is php550, well it was when I paid it on Thursday

Remember to tell your bank(s) of the dates you will be in the Philippines or you'll have problems obtaining money from the cash machines.....
    Yes good point.
    In fact trouble all round as the card may get blocked/locked so not just cash machines but shops and hotels too.

....You may have to pay a fee too, to your bank in the UK and the one you are using over there. Most of us use a currency card like the Caxton which works out better for your pocket.
    I've not paid any ATM fees with my Caxton card since I arrived last November

These pre-paid travel cards like Caxton are pretty good, however take note on the limits on cash withdrawals and limits on ATM use

Trusted Member
    Another thing.

Remember to tell your bank(s) of the dates you will be in the Philippines or you'll have problems obtaining money from the cash machines. You may have to pay a fee too, to your bank in the UK and the one you are using over there. Most of us use a currency card like the Caxton which works out better for your pocket.
    That is a very good point.

You MUST notify your bank (for debit card) and credit card company of the dates you're going to be in the Phils, to avoid problems using your cards there...as it's considered a 'dodgy' place. Just phone them.

She has never asked for money from me
    I don't mean to put a dampener on anything and I'm speaking from my own experience and from the stories I've heard but that can lead to a false sense of security. My ex didn't ask me for money until after two years, then it gradually escalated and the rest is history. I'm not saying this will happen but you need to be aware of it.

Also, you need to be aware, that if you bring your Filipina to this country, she will most likely have to support her family. Whether she's prepared to do it herself or expects you to do it is the big question. Can you or are you willing to provide for them? What if you decide to have a family of your own?

Enjoy your time in the Philippines with your woman. It definitely beats dating a bird down the Red Lion on a Friday night, that's for sure.
    It's new, it's exciting and kind of daunting and I definitely don't regret doing it myself even though things didn't work out for me last time.

If you do get on, just don't rush into anything and take your time. What with the expense and red tape involved bringing her over plus the points I made previously, it's a decision that can't be taken lightly.

I don't mean to put a dampener on anything and I'm speaking from my own experience and from the stories I've heard but that can lead to a false sense of security. My ex didn't ask me for money until after two years, then it gradually escalated and the rest is history. I'm not saying this will happen but you need to be aware of it.

Also, you need to be aware, that if you bring your Filipina to this country, she will most likely have to support her family. Whether she's prepared to do it herself or expects you to do it is the big question. Can you or are you willing to provide for them? What if you decide to have a family of your own?

Enjoy your time in the Philippines with your woman. It definitely beats dating a bird down the Red Lion on a Friday night, that's for sure.
    It's new, it's exciting and kind of daunting and I definitely don't regret doing it myself even though things didn't work out for me last time.

If you do get on, just don't rush into anything and take your time. What with the expense and red tape involved bringing her over plus the points I made previously, it's a decision that can't be taken lightly.
    Completely agree with you there Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by robbie bobby View Post
    Completely agree with you there Jamie
    Thanks Robbie. Welcome back by the way . Long time no see!

By the way Daryl, until 12 months ago I lived just up the road from you, born and bred Old Hill, more recently Netherton and a life long Cradley Heathens fan "Ommer Um Cradley". Yes I forgot to mention - as other guys have mentioned - it's important that you do inform your Bank/s of the dates you will be in Phils so that they are aware you will be withdrawing money from your account.

Welcome Daryl. Your first trip to the Phils will be a learning curve. You should be ok if you're with your girlfriend. I doubt whether you will want to come back once you have got used to their way of life.

I know Cradley well, Harry. I too was a Heathens fan. Used to spend many happy evenings at Dudley Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie1958 View Post
    I find 8 hours a breeze ............ just add another 6 hours to how you felt after your longest trip to give you some idea . I guess it depends on your tolerance levels and often the length of your legs versus the available leg room, particularly if you travel economy.

I haven't flown Air Philippines, been with BA, Emirates, Cathay Pacific and KLM, The last time I went in 2010 (unplanned urgent trip) it was Air France Heathrow to Paris, Paris to Hong Kong with a 5 hour connection wait and then Cathay Pacific Hong Kong to Manila. It took 27 hours and I didn't sleep a wink! I'm not tall but being cramped in the same seat for such a long time is a killer. I have also been fortunate to fly business class which certainly helps to make the journey a bit more bearable but I'd prefer to take a magic carpet any day!
    I think that we would all like to travel on a magic carpet ride

I have now amended my holidays at work so that I have a day off before and after travelling, I think that I was being too ambitious with the time off work.

Trusted Member
    You will have jetlag for several days (each way) , so take that into account. Drink plenty of water on the plane and while in the Phils.

Also, you need to be aware, that if you bring your Filipina to this country, she will most likely have to support her family. Whether she's prepared to do it herself or expects you to do it is the big question.
    Thanks for the advice, sorry to hear about your bad experience, we have discussed this and she would get a job to support her family back home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information