Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie/Kumusta

Quote Originally Posted by Harry T View Post
    By the way Daryl, until 12 months ago I lived just up the road from you, born and bred Old Hill, more recently Netherton and a life long Cradley Heathens fan "Ommer Um Cradley"
    Very small world, previously I lived in Brierley Hill.

Wishing you a safe trip Daryl.

I'm sure it will go very well for both of you.

Please don't get nervous as it's a very exciting time for the both of you.

God bless you both

Quote Originally Posted by Nick30 View Post
    Please don't get nervous as it's a very exciting time for the both of you.
    We are both excited, and nervous for our first meeting

One thing I will advise is prepare yourself for the poverty that you see around you, especially the beggars wherever you go. As an example, on the 2nd evening I was in Cebu, I decided to take an evening stroll around the locality where I was staying (something I always like to do wherever I visit) and was approached by high double figures (ladies of the night) something that I have never experienced before.
    I have read that there is a lot of poverty in the Philippines, but also Filipinos are very hard workers too [my GF works on the family market 7 days a week when not babysitting for her sister]. I will be with her all the time so I shouldn't be approached by 'ladies of the night', but that's not an issue as when I lived in Coventry that use to happen when I walked home from work when I missed the last bus home , I was polite and firm in declining there services and had no trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Hi Daryl
    The P10k peso is solely a limit on the amount of pesos you can bring into the Philippines.

The limit on how much cash you can bring into the Philippines in other currencies is the equivalent of USD10,000.
    Taking money with you. Yeah, take an amount you are comfortable with, but it's easy to get money from ATMs or Money Changers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    Unknowingly I took 32K on my first trip and it was only when I was speaking to a fellow Brit on my stopover in Riyadh did I realise. I spent the second leg of journey deliberating whether to declare it or not and in the end I decided to be honest about it. The customs official at the NAIA didn't bat an eyelid and was more interested in the couple of watches I brought over as presents.
    Glad I found that out now, I was going to bring over 32K PHP cash, what would be the best to use then?

I will take 10k PHP cash and should I just use my Visa Debit Card [Barclays], or get a travel cash card???

Would like to hear peoples experiences as I don't want to be worried about not having enough money whilst I am there.

Hi Daryl,

Cash points are abundant out there so withdrawing cash isn't a problem, but it might be wise to advise your bank before you go as you don't want any problems when there.
    You can withdraw up to php 10,000 at a time but depending on the bank you may get charged php 200 for the privilege
    As with anywhere in the world always keep your money tucked away and never bring out a wad when paying

Trusted Member
    Buy and use a money belt !

I've remembered a few other points which I'll elaborate further when I've got more time but if anyone wants to jump in, feel free.

Travel insurance
    What to do, if God forbid, you get robbed
    The wearing of jewellery and watches
    Crossing a busy road in the city, especially at night
    Accommodation

And this......

Trusted Member
    Yes, who wouldn't want to be in her shoes ?

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl.T View Post
    Glad I found that out now, I was going to bring over 32K PHP cash, what would be the best to use then?

I will take 10k PHP cash and should I just use my Visa Debit Card [Barclays], or get a travel cash card???
    Yes Daryl, take the P10k with you as cash.
    You can also take GBP cash. The money changer desk at the airport has pretty good rates usually ( be sure you know the rates before you go and check from time to time.
    Yes use your Visa Debit card at ATM's also hotels, travel and shops.
    If you want to get a pre-paid travel card then do so. I'd recommend Caxton although there are others.

If you have the time and the inclination you could also try and secure a Peso Cash Card such as the iRemit Visa Card. It's been some time since I did that so I'm not sure of the current regulations. But worth a review.

As most folks have said, it's not wise to carry large amounts of cash anywhere in the world.
    If you're planning on leaving the cities you'll want to stock up a bit just in case. Find different places on yourself and gf to secrete some notes just in case. Not trying to worry you, I've not had any scary moments or been in the wrong place at the wrong time but it can happen.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Another thing.

Remember to tell your bank(s) of the dates you will be in the Philippines or you'll have problems obtaining money from the cash machines. You may have to pay a fee too, to your bank in the UK and the one you are using over there. Most of us use a currency card like the Caxton which works out better for your pocket.

I do hope you don't have a Nationwide card. Keith informed them about our travel to the Philippines and yet, it still didn't work. Good thing he has another card, Halifax, which worked even if we never informed them ahead of time. Keith's cousin who went to Las Vegas last year wasn't able to use their Nationwide card too. They talked to a Nationwide rep and told them that Nationwide cards would only work in a British ATM!
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

I've remembered a few other points which I'll elaborate further when I've got more time but if anyone wants to jump in, feel free.

Travel insurance
    What to do, if God forbid, you get robbed
    The wearing of jewellery and watches
    Crossing a busy road in the city, especially at night
    Accommodation

And this......

Travel Insurance - Vital you get this. Usually costs me around £15-£20 for a month's cover. Read the small print and don't always get the cheapest quote.
    If you get robbed - This can happen anywhere in the world of course but bear in mind robbers in the Philippines can be armed and aren't afraid to shoot their victim if you don't comply. Best to do what they say if you value your life.
    Jewellery and watches - Leave these at home. If you need a watch, buy a cheapo one.
    Crossing the street - The busy streets in the cities with multiple lanes can be tricky to cross especially at night. Imagine a wider version of a dark Hagley Road with evening rush hour and traffic going in the opposite direction to what you are used to with some vehicles not having lights on, and you'll get the picture.
    Accommodation - Agoda is a good website where you can pre-book a hotel. Cebu will have a good selection of hotels on there.
    Picture above - That is how you greet elders in the Philippines. You'll probably score some brownie points with the parents if you do this.

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post

I do hope you don't have a Nationwide card. Keith informed them about our travel to the Philippines and yet, it still didn't work. Good thing he has another card, Halifax, which worked even if we never informed them ahead of time. Keith's cousin who went to Las Vegas last year wasn't able to use their Nationwide card too. They talked to a Nationwide rep and told them that Nationwide cards would only work in a British ATM!
    I take three just to be on the safe side. Caxton, HSBC and Lloyds.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Yes, who wouldn't want to be in her shoes ?

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl.T View Post
    Thanks for the advice, sorry to hear about your bad experience, we have discussed this and she would get a job to support her family back home.
    I'd actually call it a good experience but one that didn't have a happy ending.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    I take three just to be on the safe side. Caxton, HSBC and Lloyds.
    I have my BDO and Citibank cards as well. One reason why I didn't close my bank account and credit card, as it's very handy whenever we go to the Philippines.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Hello Daryl.
    I too have started conversing with a lovely Philippine lady whom I'm going to meet in April. I traveled around the phils for 3 weeks in May last year and went to Cebu. I wish you lots of luck, I'm sure the lady is genuine, you tend to have a feeling don't you? And meeting her now will hopefully confirm it for you. Good luck my friend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information