Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Heartbreaking Passport Delays

Hi guys.. I would just like to know your own personal experiences of obtaining a first time child's overseas passport, through the Liverpool Passport Office.

I applied for my two childrens' First Time Child Overseas Passports back in April. My children are British through descent, and the applications were submitted from the Philippines. The Liverpool Passport Office have confirmed they received them on 2nd May. The only other contact I had was an email in September saying that they are going through standard security checks. I have called the Passport Helpline, maybe 30 times, all of which I have logged, but I have had not one response. I've requested callbacks, which have then been escalated further, which have then gone into complaints, but I've only had that one solitary email. I'm at my wits end! I don't know who to turn to. I have tried my local MP, but he has not been able to help either. I know this is a relatively new system, since it moved to Liverpool, but it seems an absolute shambles. I can understand they would have teething problems, but what is unforgivable is the complete lack of communication, the complete lack of compassion for me and others in the same situation. There is no direct number to Liverpool, everything has to be done through the general Passport Helpline. 8 months is a ridiculous amount of time to wait for a passport. I don't understand why security checks would take so long.

I'd like to know if its just my application, or if any of you are experiencing the same thing, or have gone through the same experience. How long have you had to wait for your overseas applications?

Sorry for the rant guys..hope to hear from anyone on this.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    They've had a huge backlog that was reported by the media June last year. Even Fred (the moderator here) has had troubles himself trying to get a hold of them. He posted a thread here too last year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...l-meeting.html

We have a friend who applied for his baby's passport in Liverpool last month (well they live in North Wales) and the passport arrived at their doorstep 2 days later (on a Saturday even). I think they've been slowly getting back on track.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Cut backs.

So sorry to learn of your experience BenRicca. Sadly, many of the government departments here in the UK are in backlog and it's often almost impossible to get hold of anyone on the phone to help. I sincerely hope that your application won't take much longer and wish you a successful outcome

We applied for Charleigh's first passport and had it back from the Belfast office within a week.

Our daughter's arrived in 4 weeks from application in Manila, but this was on the old system, before the cutbacks. I will be applying for my next baby's after it arrives so I hope they have worked through this backlog by then. I would be tempted to call the papers.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Hi BenRicca, we are in exactly the same boat as you - even gone down the MP's route. We applied back in September and I have been backwards and forwards trying to sort it out. I was in the Passport Office yesterday right after work because the documents I'd given previously, were apparently not enough. It's taken them all this time to tell me that and - you know what! - you are right talking to them face to face, because they don't give a damn about our lives. My fiancée and I applied for our Settlement Visa in November and it was granted this January.

We couldn't believe it! What should have been the happiest time of our lives has turned out to be a nightmare because that passport office has no soul. I even told them how sick my daughter is because of the weather in the Phils. She has had chronic pneumonia on two different occasions, now has asthma and she is only 2 years old. All I was told was, "We are sorry but I have had a small team working on a lot of passport applications; most of them are new and I've had to train them personally. If you have a complaint talk to the Complaints Department".

I did all I could to hold my temper there. They really don't care what they're doing to familes. At the moment, I can't do much to help you other then give you the direct number to the Liverpool Office. The number is 0151 471 2772. If you have had any more luck with your kids passports, leave a post please.

All I can say is, a friend of mine applied for a child's first passport back in September 2014. She used the Post Office Service which, though it costs more, makes sure you have all the correct documents that are needed. It's well worth the few pounds extra that you pay, and she got the passport within the 2 weeks the Post Office specified. Seems they make an effort to process these applications first.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    I think the ones having problems are those applying for passports from outside UK. Since the closure of a lot of passport offices around the globe, all applications are sent to UK and are being handled in Liverpool Passport Office, which they all can't really handle.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Harry T View Post
    All I can say is, a friend of mine applied for a child's first passport back in September 2014. She used the Post Office Service which, though it costs more, makes sure you have all the correct documents that are needed. It's well worth the few pounds extra that you pay, and she got the passport within the 2 weeks the Post Office specified. Seems they make an effort to process these applications first.
    if this isn't a particularly helpful answer ... but the thing is, I've often wondered whether the Passport Office works in cahoots with the Post Office Checking Service. (Y'know, preferential treatment given to those prepared to fork out the few quid extra ... ... being that BOTH are Government-controlled outfits = in turn, more funding for the Treasury.)

Here's hoping this wholly unsatisfactory business can get sorted out soon for you, Sean - and for all the other long~suffering applicants into the bargain.

Thanks Arthur. Just so you know, I tried the Post Office first and they couldn't help me with the processing of an overseas application. Then I called the Passport Office Helpline number which wasn't very helpful and I asked around on here and was told to go on gov.uk and process it online. Thanks for your feedback though

Quote Originally Posted by sean88 View Post
    Thanks Arthur. Just so you know, I tried the Post Office first and they couldn't help me with the processing of an overseas application ...
    Ah ... would certainly tie~in with Rayna's explanation.

... Then I called the Passport Office Helpline number which wasn't very helpful and I asked around on here and was told to go on gov.uk and process it online.
    ... oh yes, ... and with your opinion. Based on the number of past encounters I've had with those so~called "helplines", I'm only too well aware of what they can be like. Believe me, your feelings of anger and frustration are fully justified!

At the moment, I can't do much to help you other then give you the direct number to the Liverpool Office. The number is 0151 471 2772. If you have had any more luck with your kids passports, leave a post please.
    Wow! I just spoke to the rudest man you wouldn't believe. I rang the number you gave, and before I could speak he cut me off saying, "did I send you a letter?" As I tried to speak again, he barked, "did I send you a letter?" And when I said "no", he hung up on me. Wish I had recorded it. I'm guessing that number is for applicants that have been sent a letter requesting more information. How did you get on Sean88?

Thanks anyway, was worth a try

Hope you get things sorted out soon. Have you contacted your MP?

This might be totally off-the-wall but isn't it possible to secure some emergency/temp travel documents from the British Embassy in Manila?

These long, long delays just seem to be totally unacceptable.
    Just thinking

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Since the closure of a lot of passport offices around the globe, all applications are sent to UK and are being handled in Liverpool Passport Office, which they all can't really handle.
    We know Liverpool is the UK capital for public sector jobs. Goodness knows why, as most of the "workers" are constantly on the sick.

Spoke to a mate last night who left South Shields years ago and he told me his brother works for the DHSS in Newcastle and the lead-swingers there regularly take two months off, return for a month or so and then do the same thing - unsackable leeches

Yep, public sector workers. But don't worry, when they vote Labour back into power they will increase the workforce to the way it was before the Tory cutbacks, the service will be back to normal and everybody will get their passports on time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Yep, public sector workers. But don't worry, when they vote Labour back into power they will increase the workforce to the way it was before the Tory cutbacks, the service will be back to normal and everybody will get their passports on time.
    More lead swingers with layer after layer of incompetent management getting fat on the public purse

That's your take on it Ded, because of the lack of staff there. Because of the Tories, this poor family are having trouble getting their kids' passports.

Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Hope you get things sorted out soon. Have you contacted your MP?
    Yes I did, and was pleasantly surprised. I was very sceptical, but they have done as much as they can for me, and within a day of me asking for their help, I received a response. Apparently they have a hotline direct to the Passport Office, which they would not give out to me. Currently they were told that my applications are in the Philippines receiving their final checks before they will be sent back to Liverpool, so I'm hoping things can't be much longer.

Hi Ben ... I did the same as you, contacted my MP, and was told the same as you. I then called the Passport Office, and asked them when the documents sent to the Philippines for checking would be returned. I think they were there for 2-3 months. They're not the fastest to deal with ... but what I will say to you (going by the time you and I applied) you are just weeks away. Hang in there!

Will

Still waiting since late April. They asked for documents and I sent them more. All documents cost a lot money, a lot of running around and things seem completely at a standstill. I think at least an email or phone call from the Passport Office would be good. All you get is it's going though security checks. Don't understand why it's so hard to get a child passport. What is happening to this country ...?

What I can gather, by speaking to one of the supervisors at the Liverpool office...its to do with stopping identity theft.

Will

Thread Information