Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Question Philippine Travel: Understanding the Onward Ticket Rule

Although little known to most Filipino travellers, the first impression that many foreign travellers encounter when heading to the Philippines is often an inhospitable one. It's usually a rude shock and a far cry from the warm hospitality that most have come to expect of the Philippines. The "Proof of Onward" ticket is an entry regulation imposed by the Philippine Bureau of Immigration that catches most foreign tourists by surprise.

Seasoned travellers that have explored extensively through Southeast Asia are often puzzled by this mediocre policy as many are accustomed to wandering freely throughout Asia without any definitive itinerary or schedule, pending the acquisition of the relevant travel visas. But is this "Onward Ticket" policy truly necessary and is it something that enhances the appeal of the Philippines or makes it less competitive with competing tourist destinations in the region?

This article serves as a warning to potential tourists to the Philippines that an onward return ticket out of the country is required before you can board a flight to enter the country. While it is not uncommon for many countries to require proof of an onward journey, the reality is that the vast majority rarely check. In fact, Philippine officials rarely check and it is usually left up to the airlines flying to the Philippines to enforce the rules.

If you are boarding a flight to the Philippines from within Asia, it is quite likely that you will be questioned, though if you are boarding a connecting flight to the Philippines from a different continent, there is a strong chance that the airline agent will be unfamiliar with Philippine protocol and overlook the need for a return ticket. However, it is best not to be caught at the airport without an onward ticket. Otherwise, you may be forced to buy an expensive last minute ticket in a desperate attempt to board your flight.

What is an onward Flight Ticket ?

An onward flight ticket serves as proof that a traveller will be leaving the country on a specific date after gaining entry into the country. This is problematic for many travellers, particularly backpackers, that are not sure how long they need to fully explore the country. The irony is that Philippine immigration officials rarely ever ask for an onward flight ticket. In addition, if one is extending their tourist visa in the Philippines, immigration officials rarely ask for the onward ticket.

This raises the question as to why the country forces people to waste money purchasing an onward airline ticket that they may never use -- especially when there is much revenue to be earned by tourists extending their stay. Furthermore, an onward ticket is by no means a guarantee that a tourist will leave the country on the specified date as many of these tickets are bought so cheaply that they can be considered "disposable" by many. It is usually a strategy that many tourists employ to get around this issue, particularly those that are applying for a tourist visa at a Philippine embassy.

When you don't have an onward ticket

There are indeed many ways to avoid this issue especially if one arrives prepared. If you are truly unsure when you would like to leave the Philippines, the best thing to do is to purchase a one-way ticket out of the country from one of the low-cost carriers such as Cebu Pacific or Air Asia. In general, the cheapest foreign destination to fly to from Manila is Kota Kinabalu. It is quite common to find one-way fares for as little as US$50 -- sometimes even less if you book far enough in advance. If you get caught last minute without a ticket out of the Philippines, the same strategy applies. Check the low-cost carrier websites and don't necessarily purchase a ticket back to the country you are entering the Philippines from as there are cheaper destinations such as Kota Kinabalu. You can also consider flights from Cebu or Clark, which are often cheaper than Manila. As an alternative to the low-cost carrier option, you could also purchase a refundable ticket, which will cost more up-front but you can get your money back.

Do your homework

There are countless stories from other travellers that have been faced with this problem. It is recommended to research the immigration requirements for your country of origin and read some fellow tales from travellers that have been in a similar position. The Philippine Bureau of Immigration outlines all of the entry requirements for a number of nations around the world. The vast majority of countries now receive 30-day visa free entry to the Philippines, which places the country on par with places like Thailand. However, tourists from Israel and Brazil get the privilege of a 59-day visa free entry to the Philippines.

Is the onward ticket necessary ?

Most countries implement an onward ticket requirement as a measure to prevent travellers from remaining in the country past their visa expiry date undocumented. While it is not meant to discourage travel and tourism, it is usually targeted at those who plan to work in the country illegally or cannot support themselves financially. Unfortunately, the reality is that it does have an impact on travel and tourism, especially when competing against other countries in the region, which are less strict with such policies. In the Philippines, the requirement helps to address on-going issues such as drugs, child prostitution, sex tourism, and human trafficking among others. But is it effective?

A call to action

Given that Philippine officials themselves rarely request proof of onward ticket and that low-cost carrier tickets are cheap enough to be disposable, one could easily argue that it is doubtful that this policy is effective in any way. If anything, it could be viewed as counter productive for a country that is trying to increase its competitive edge in tourism and attract more tourists.

If the goal of the nation is to create an impression of being warm, hospitable, and fun for tourists, then it might be a fair consideration to revisit the enforcement of the onward ticket policy, which often causes the country to stand out in the minds of world travellers for all of the wrong reasons. The Philippines is one of the few nations in Asia that actively enforces this onward ticket requirement.

Overall, this can be viewed as a deterrent to tourism growth as it discourages travellers that prefer to be spontaneous in their travel plans. This is particularly true in the case of backpackers and even foreign volunteers. It is a nuisance as it forces people to waste money purchasing a ticket that is likely to never be used. While the airlines may appreciate this, it does nothing for the Philippines. In addition to not offering any real guarantee that a traveller will depart the Philippines at the end of their stay, it uses up valuable financial resources that would have otherwise been spent directly in the Philippines. Moreover, with less freedom and flexibility, it discourages travellers from staying longer in the country, which would earn the Philippine government additional revenue in visa extensions.

As one traveller shared with Philippine Flight Network, "It is such a pain to have an onward ticket," wrote the traveller. "Sometimes I am travelling to the Philippines for medical treatment and I am never exactly sure how long it will take. Sometimes I am travelling as a tourist and I like to leave my departure dates open. With budget airlines, changing flight departure dates can be costly and time consuming."

First Impressions count

Many tourists have been denied boarding due to the absence of an onward ticket. Many have scrambled to purchase a last minute ticket at an exorbitant cost, which has been taken directly from their spending budget for the Philippines. For many, it is a terrible experience and not the first impression that any first-time visitor to the country should have to endure. Is that the image that Philippine tourism would like to project to the world? To add further insult to injury, travellers get slapped again with the hair-raising experience that is the Ninoy Aquino International Airport. Both experiences can combine for a terrible first impression of the Philippines.

Should countries require an onward ticket ?

All states reserve the right to determine whether a tourist can support themselves financially in the country they are visiting. This is also to ensure that they have the necessary financial means to depart the country at no expense to the state. Naturally, it is the priority of any country to protect its borders and its citizens first and foremost.

Although the vast majority of states are casual in observing the requirement of an onward ticket, they do have the right to deny entry to an individual at any time that is unable to show proof of adequate funds or an onward ticket out of the country. In recent years, countries have also been requiring visitors to demonstrate proof of adequate medical coverage so that the visitor does not become a burden to the state. There have been cases of foreign tourists getting sick in the Philippines and accumulating sizeable hospital bills without the ability to pay.

Do airlines benefit ?

While many may believe that the enforcement of the onward ticket rule is a means by airlines to generate revenue, it is actually a means to protect the airline from incurring the cost of deporting someone that did not satisfy the nation's immigration regulations. Some airlines even hold seats for deportees, which ultimately costs the carrier money.

Change is needed for tourism growth

After considering all sides of the issue, the reality is that Philippine immigration laws, like so many other laws in the country remain archaic, having been authored before 1950. Many of these laws could never envision the world that we live in today with the advent of budget travel and cheap airfares. In many cases, these laws and policies are unfair to lawful residents of the Philippines that are burdened with horrendous fees from travel taxes to immigration fees and terminal fees. Tourists that spend more than six months in the Philippines actually need to pay an immigration fee for clearance to depart the country. Even foreign volunteers that are serving in the Philippines are often forced to pay fees. It is an abusive form of indirect taxation, that is not generally found in other countries.

These fees discourage travellers from either coming or extending their stay in the Philippines, which hurts the local economy, which could benefit from tourist spending. Not only are the fees and taxes unfair and abusive, they are also absurd given the poor services and infrastructure that is delivered in exchange. What is even more insulting is that the burden of these fees does not just affect foreigners but locals as well that are forced to pay the TIEZA Philippine Travel Tax for every Filipino citizen that is departing the country on a holiday.

If the Philippines wishes to become one of the top tourist destinations in Asia, there are a number of issues that it must address, which currently discourage tourists from visiting the islands. In addition to fees and taxes, the country suffers from poor infrastructure, terribly managed and poorly maintained airports, not to mention the individuals that lurk in front of the airports there to harass tourists. From taxi drivers to corrupt politicians, there is often a perception of "seediness" in the country. The situation is as bad departing as it is arriving, with the final "punch" in the stomach coming in the form of terminal fees, which are paid for what has been described as one of the world's worst airports. It leaves a bad taste in the mouths of most tourists -- locals included. It raises the question as to why one should make the effort to gain lawful admission into the Philippines only to be grossly imposed upon by various government agencies that should be there to serve, rather than suffocate people with fees.

Although this article does not answer all the questions that require probing on this topic, it highlights a number of important issues that need immediate attention and a call to action. At the end of the day, it is a mere addition to the many areas of the country that require reform, maintenance, improvement, and development. It is with hope that the Philippine government will begin making some serious changes to the benefit of tourists and locals alike.

Source - Philippine Flight Network

I've never travelled to the Philippines without a return ticket (onward ticket0. Usually issued by the same airline when puchasing the original travel ticket. So I've never been questioned by an airline.

Incidently, it's not always easy to determine if the check-in staff are also validating visa requirements against travel ticket dates.

We did get asked by Immigration at NAIA to produce onward tickets one time. This was the first time my wife travelled with only her British Passport and asked for BB stamps for us both. She had to produce Philippine Naturalisation Certificate and wedding certificate, both of which we had to hand.
    No issues at all.

Be interested on comments / experiences from others ?

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    When I went to live in Dumaguete the travel agent (STA) recommended that I purchase a return ticket (which was cheaper) and not to say anything to anyone about travelling one way. Now I understand why, your post explains it!

Always had a return ticket, and never been asked to show it.
    Was issued a 1yr visa this time without asking, which in retrospect is damn fortunate as it didn't even occur to me before to ask as I'm here for 5 weeks

I have had return tickets before and been questioned on the Chinese side when leaving. But I never have a return ticket out of China when I arrive

This time when I go back home after my contract finishes I will take the disposable option. It is a shame I can't get a Balikbayan visa, I have asked before when I entered for the birth of our daughter and was hoping to catch someone off guard who would stamp it, but no lucky. I have to travel to Clark every 2 months to extend, then the exit visa, it's all a joke tbh
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Sorry Steve, what's a Balikbayan visa? I think that is what I got (1 yr visa) even though we all entered on British passports

Trusted Member
    I only wish the UK were as strict, actually enforced such laws, and had equally scary jails as a deterrent to potential overstayers and other illegals.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Sorry Steve, what's a Balikbayan visa? I think that is what I got (1 yr visa) even though we all entered on British passports
    The very same.

Good post too Peter, it reminded me actually. I am booking for later this month, so I will now search for a cheapy $50 ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    The very same.
    Ok, not sure why I got it in that case

On another note I was told the other day that that office in Clark was now shut and you have to go to Manila to extend your visa, not sure if true or not but just what I was told by a local here.

I think the immigretion in the Philippines have got it right and like Graham says this country should take note. When I go to manila they look at my passport and ask when I am returning. . I find if I go to via Amsterdam they are intimidating there. But you could say they are only doing their job.

On another note I was told the other day that that office in Clark was now shut and you have to go to Manila to extend your visa, not sure if true or not but just what I was told by a local here.
    Has your wife got dual citizenship?

Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Has your wife got dual citizenship?
    Not yet Andy, she got her British citizenship but dual is on the list when we get back, along with Charleigh's. She didn't even bring her Philippino passport with her.

I was just thinking Simon that that was the way you got the 1 year visa.

I was just thinking Simon that that was the way you got the 1 year visa.
    To be totally honest Andy it came as a shock to me, and it wasn't until after that I thought that they didn't ask how long I was staying for. Just lucky I guess

Normally, the only way to get the BB visa is to enter with your wife, like Peter said with accompanying documents. But, always worth a try. As my wife is 6 1/2months pregnant she cannot fly to enter with me

Normally, the only way to get the BB visa is to enter with your wife, like Peter said with accompanying documents. But, always worth a try. As my wife is 6 1/2months pregnant she cannot fly to enter with me
    Well we all entered together, but no documents were asked for and as we're not married the passportss are in different names. As I said, just lucky I suppose. I'm not complaining

Trusted Member

I believe the office has moved to Marquee Mall in Mabalacat. Definitely still in Angeles.

Trusted Member
    It really is a nuisance, that aspect of the Balikbayan rules. Used to affect me when I was working in HK and my family were in the Phils. Doesn't seem fair when you're working away to support them, AND indirectly boosting the Phils economy.

Trusted Member
    Well we all entered together, but no documents were asked for and as we're not married the passportss are in different names. As I said, just lucky I suppose. I'm not complaining
    You were 'jammy'.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I believe the office has moved to Marquee Mall in Mabalacat. Definitely still in Angeles.
    Glad to be proven wrong As I said it was just what a local told me here, amazing how quick you learn not to listen to rumours

Trusted Member

You were 'jammy'.
    Robertson is my middle name

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    When we had a vacation to Philippines on 2013, we were never asked to show any proof like marriage cert for the Balikbayan visa. They just stamped Keith's passport with 1 year visa. I think I was just asked if I'm married to Keith. Some immigration officers probably just know the case. Not that I'm complaining. The only complaint I have is why they charge Filipino tourists (the ones going overseas for a holiday) with exit fees, which they say will be used to the airports' maintenance. Errrr....I have never seen any changes in terms of maintenance.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Don't count your chickens Simon, they could get you on the way back. . If it was me, I would have checked it out. I would rather pay the extra and know there are no unforeseen consequences.

The wording is onward ticket, not return. When I emigrated here I had an onward ticket to Borneo flying from Clark, cost me £35. Just throw it away. Singapore Airlines will not let you fly without one as they or any other airline become liable to a big fine.

Trusted Member
    In my early days of visiting the Phils I would buy a 1 year 'open' return ticket, which could have the return part booked later.

Don't count your chickens Simon, they could get you on the way back. . If it was me, I would have checked it out. I would rather pay the extra and know there are no unforeseen consequences.
    Not sure I understand Andy, in what way could they get me on the way back?

I'm flying back in 2 weeks but Shey and Charleigh are here till mid Feb and as we've all been issued 1yr BB visa's I'm not sure what problem there could be.

I only wish the UK were as strict, actually enforced such laws, and had equally scary jails as a deterrent to potential overstayers and other illegals.
    ... why don't we have some form of equivalent to the Balikbayan?

Thread Information