Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Question Entitlement to Health Care for Spouse visa holder?

Just had a chat with someone at the local hospital regarding Harlene and her impending birth... During the conversation it was mentioned her notes have gone to the finance dept as she probably has to pay for health care.

Now if I have to pay then fair enough. But I always assumed she would get free health care as I am the father and she is married to me and is here on a spouse visa....

Anyone with knowledge please let me know ASAP as I would like to have the answers to throw back to them when I guess they say I have to pay, even if I don't have to.

Thanks

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Don't worry Slip Maritess had same problem at Charles Clifford Dental hospital, they just took a photocopy of her Spouse visa in her passport and I think they checked her entitlements and all was Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Don't worry Slip Maritess had same problem at Charles Clifford Dental hospital, they just took a photocopy of her Spouse visa in her passport and I think they checked her entitlements and all was Ok
    I have her passport with me as we were meant to be going to the hospital today at 1pm, but typically they phoned to cancel at 12 noon - just as we were getting ready to leave.

So, after a little erm ... discourse, mainly from me, they rescheduled for later today at 3pm. This was after telling me they had only one appointment free tomorrow - then nothing for 3 weeks.

I've just had 12 days off from work and am back tomorrow, so that is a no no. They asked, "can't she get public transport ... ?" To which, I reminded them she has just been here for a month and I have driven her everywhere so far, and I don't want her trying to get on buses not knowing where to go.

Ruined my afternoon plans now, so I am ready for them later

Harlene just told me I scare her when I am all worked up ... so I may have to hold back a touch later if they start talking rubbish

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    I have her passport with me as we were meant to be going to the hospital today at 1pm, but typically they phoned to cancel at 12 noon - just as we were getting ready to leave.

So, after a little erm ... discourse, mainly from me, they rescheduled for later today at 3pm. This was after telling me they had only one appointment free tomorrow - then nothing for 3 weeks.

I've just had 12 days off from work and am back tomorrow, so that is a no no. They asked, "can't she get public transport ... ? To which, I reminded them she has just been here for a month and I have driven her everywhere so far, and I don't want her trying to get on buses not knowing where to go.

Ruined my afternoon plans now, so I am ready for them later

Harlene just told me I scare her when I am all worked up... so I may have to hold back a touch later if they start talking rubbish
    Don't quote me on this, but due to her condition they can provide transport to take Harlene and return her home, but keep calm when you ask!

They are doing their job (at last) making sure healthcare tourists get billed

NHS hospital treatment in England

If you move to the UK, you will not be charged for NHS hospital treatment from the date that you arrive as long as:

you intend to live permanently in the UK, and
    you have the right to live permanently in the UK or have a "route to settlement" that will allow permanent residence in due course
    http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1087.asp...categoryid=162
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    They are doing their job (at last) making sure healthcare tourists get billed

Quite right Joe but it's probably the good old British fair play system where the ICU patient is presented with a large bill which they don't pay then walk through passport control unchallenged - they need to be stopped and if they can't pay by card be stripped of cash, jewellery and possessions

I see families who are not entitled to NHS care bring over their loved ones and they get admitted to hospital.

Not being racist but I see mostly Indian and Muslim based ethnicities doing this.

We have a department we refer them to, which then investigates their right to NHS care and charges them if they are not eligible.

But as far as people here on spouse visas and/or such like are concerned, there should be no problem and it's just a formality as they have got hotter on the NHS staff in trying to stop these so called health tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Quite right Joe but it's probably the good old British fair play system where the ICU patient is presented with a large bill which they don't pay then walk through passport control unchallenged - they need to be stopped and if they can't pay by card be stripped of cash, jewellery and possessions
    If they are unable to pay then take the organs back they had implanted....

Quote Originally Posted by Longweekend View Post
    If they are unable to pay then take the organs back they had implanted....
    Or hold the baby as ransom
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekee View Post
    Not being racist but I see mostly Indian and Muslim based ethnicities doing this.
    Now isn't that surprising

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post

... but keep calm when you ask!
    ... but sometimes it's ... ... easier said than done when dealing with bureaucracy - especially for people in Slip & Harlene's situation!

Well she mentioned it again when we went.... But I have every faith that once they process it, they will see we don't need to pay. If not, then they will by the time I have finished!

Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    Well she mentioned it again when we went.... But I have every faith that once they process it, they will see we don't need to pay. If not, then they will by the time I have finished!
    NHS hospital treatment in England

If you move to the UK, you will not be charged for NHS hospital treatment from the date that you arrive as long as:

you intend to live permanently in the UK, and
    you have the right to live permanently in the UK or have a "route to settlement" that will allow permanent residence in due course

Print the web page and take it if they ask again, I doubt they will thou

Trusted Member
    Most (pregnant) people will have been 'enrolled' in the ante-natal clinic well before they ever need to see the inside of a hospital anyway. All paperwork is processed at that stage...as was the case with my son and his spouse visa mum.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Most (pregnant) people will have been 'enrolled' in the ante-natal clinic well before they ever need to see the inside of a hospital anyway. All paperwork is processed at that stage...as was the case with my son and his spouse visa mum.
    True, but the ante natal clinic is part of the maternity ward at my local hospital. If Harlene was here earlier she would have been enrolled months ago, not at week 33 of her pregnancy....

Trusted Member
    I'm just reassuring other readers, the majority of whom who are unlikely to be in your situation.

Many local health clinics/GP practices run their own ante-natal clinics. (Usually a lot more convenient than trying to get parked at a hospital too).

Well, they took copies of her passport visa when we attended the maternity ward the other week....

But still they are not happy, so after our appt on Friday I have a meeting with the Finance Dept to show them the passport and proof of address for Harlene.

They reckon that after I show them that all will be fine, but they need it for their records, even though they have it on record already!

You should be ok mate, they have all the proof they need. Ask the midwife for an exemption card.

Thread Information