Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

My experiences of getting Married in the Philippines in three weeks.

Well....I did it. I got married in the Philippines in 3 weeks.

But it wasn't easy and there were a lot of hurdles to overcome.

So I wanted to write a post about it in case it helps others in the same situation.

I got married in Cebu. Cebu city to be exact. The process may be different in other areas/provinces.

My fiancé had all her requirements before I arrived. She had also obtained my CENOMAR for when I arrived.

First thing we had to do was travel to Manila to get my affidavit to marry sorted. Had made an appointment by email before I travelled as the clickbook system was down.

We travelled to Manila the night before and stayed in a hotel near the embassy. We woke the next day on time but found it really hard to get a taxi at that time of the day (morning) and the traffic was crazy.

The appointment was quick and efficient. We flew back to Cebu later that day so we could get on with the other part of getting the marriage licence.

That's when the real problems started.

In Cebu city you have to visit City health which is a department building where various things happen (births/deaths/marriages and other health issues). To get a marriage licence you have to go there and book a place on a marriage seminar. The woman we saw in that department told us that there wasn't an available place on a seminar until December the 3rd. (I left on December the 1st). This date was over 3 weeks away. We had to beg and plead with me pretty much in tears for her to find us an earlier slot. You can't apply for the marriage licence until you have attended. She gave us a date that would mean we would get the marriage licence in time, but I would only have 4 days after the wedding before I went home.

The day of the seminar came and after attending, you have to fill out the marriage application forms (all 4 copies) and then take them to the building round the back to apply.

I would recommend just taking the certificate of attendance and go to that building and get a number and fill them out there. The forms take a while and if you sit there in the seminar room and fill them out, you find all the other couples have got to the other building and you will have to wait a while. There is only one person checking the applications. Fill out the forms in black ink (another couple filled them out in blue and they were rejected).

Make sure you write the date and your ages in words on the application. Again, people were sent away because of errors like this and then having to wait again.

The marriage licence takes ten days from the date of application.

Then there is the problem of finding someone to marry you in the three weeks. We found a pastor through a friend of my wife's but using a judge in a civil wedding can take longer than 3 weeks.

I can concur that a UK CNI is no longer required.

So you can get married in a 3 week time frame but it can be difficult.

If I could I would have got at least 4 weeks off work but it just wasn't possible for me.

At least after all the hassle that you both experienced, at the end of the day what matter most is you're already married and you can say that everything is worth it. Congratulations!

Well done on making it ok
    All the best for your new life together.
    Mick.

I was very lucky my wife's pastor from where she lives did all our paperwork, submitted everything and all we did was sign 4 times!

She was very helpful and without her help we would have found it tough.

I did buy some paint to paint the ceiling of the church as a thank you

Glad you got it all sorted... As for that seminar, what a waste of time! Good for 18 year olds, but not us who have been around the block a few times... But as I was told by the person doing it, it is law.

Quote Originally Posted by cheekee View Post
    Well....I did it. I got married in the Philippines in 3 weeks.

But it wasn't easy and there were a lot of hurdles to overcome.
    Yes, I can see that - after reading about your experiences - ... what a paraphernalia!

Hats off to you BOTH for managing to "keep your cool" in extremely trying circumstances!

Trusted Member
    Congratulations again on getting married, and best wishes for your future together

Further congratulations on succeeding in three weeks

I'm sure your experiences will be helpful to others and thanks for posting .

Quote Originally Posted by cheekee View Post

So I wanted to write a post about it in case it helps others in the same situation.
    Well ... I'm sure it will, your doing so! Thanks for sharing.

Bit of a close call there Phil.
    Well done both for meeting the challenge and thanks for sharing your experiences

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Thanks for posting guys, I'll always remember when we got married nothing was straightforward in Philippines!

Another reason why I won,t marry in the Philippines. Can,t be bothered with the tons of red tape and forms to fill in. An easy visit to a UK Registrar will do me.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post
    Another reason why I won,t marry in the Philippines. Can,t be bothered with the tons of red tape and forms to fill in. An easy visit to a UK Registrar will do me.
    Personally it would have done me too.... But Harlene's dream was to marry in her local church in the Philippines... So I did all I could to make her dreams come true.

Thread Information