Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Passport Problems

Hi. Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem. Maricris went home to Tacloban Friday - first time since losing her father to the hurricane last year.

Went to Manchester Airport, and while checking Maricris's passport they noticed the spine of the passport was broken and the pages had started to come away (only a bit). We had not noticed it before they took it away. Another woman came back and said, "We will let you go on your flight, but will not allow you entry back into the UK with a damaged passport".

So Maricris is flying back to Manila now to try and get a new passport. She has 14 days and the guy she spoke to said it will take 7 days. I read more like 30. Anyone had a similar issue?

Many thanks,
    John

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John_10 View Post
    ... they took it away. Another woman came back and said, "We will let you go on your flight, but will not allow you entry back into the UK with a damaged passport".
    Who was it UKBA or the Airline ? Did they stamp anything in saying no re-entry on this passport ? I'd wonder if what was said is enforceable

Thanks Dedworth for your reply. It was the airline. The young lady opened the passport, noticed it was damaged and took it away. Another woman appeared and spoke to Maricris but nothing was stamped.

Banned
    I suppose the only nagging doubt John, would be if Maricris comes across some airline jobsworth on the return leg with the possibility that they might have noted it on their system.

Try googling "checking in with a damaged passport"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/co...-the-case.html

Nothing was mentioned about her passport on her connecting flight to Manila. But that was one of my worries. If it was on the system they would look for it. She is flying to Manila now trying to get her passport replaced. I am sure I have read it will take 30 days and she is only there for 14 days. We are thinking they may not let her enter back into the UK

Banned
    I think the issue is, John - the airline not letting her on the flight - not UK Border

Just read the Telegraph. Very similar situation to ours.

The woman said Manila would let Maricris in, but on her return to the UK she would be refused. All the pages were intact. Just like someone opening a book and breaking the spine. The pages weren't falling out.

Maricris is going nuts. Instead of being with family, she has to run around the Philippines trying to get a new passport.

Quick up date Maricris Arrived in Manila spent 7,000 pesos one way trip got to DFA only to be told no one working today has to come back tomorrow.

First time I have ever heard her swear.

Banned
    Crazy - I hope she gets it sorted without any further trouble

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John_10 View Post
    Just read the Telegraph. Very similar situation to ours.

The woman said Manila would let Maricris in, but on her return to the UK she would be refused. All the pages were intact. Just like someone opening a book and breaking the spine. The pages weren't falling out.

Maricris is going nuts. Instead of being with family, she has to run around the Philippines trying to get a new passport.

Quick up date Maricris Arrived in Manila spent 7,000 pesos one way trip got to DFA only to be told no one working today has to come back tomorrow.

First time I have ever heard her swear.
    I'm sure everything will be okay. From the information you've given I wouldn't have thought the passport to be a problem. Anyway, good luck!

Sorry to tell you this but I think she has to book an appointment online via their web site.. You can't just turn up and apply anymore.

http://www.passport.com.ph/

Hopefully they will have a slot for her this week but to be honest,I doubt it.
    Looks like she will be spending an unexpected Christmas in the R.P.
    Hope I`m wrong!

Important

1. Personal appearance is required for all applicants.
    2. Confirmed appointment is a requirement for applying and renewal of passport. The DFA will not entertain applicants without valid appointments EXCEPT senior citizens, infants and minors below 1 year old, person with disability and OFWs. For OFWs, sufficient proof must be submitted such as a valid employment contract or OEC.
    3. Satellite offices receive applications only for new and renewal of Philippine passports. Applications for mutilated passport, assumed identity, citizenship evaluation cases and request for immediate releases of passports still require a confirmed appointment ONLY atDFA Aseana.
    4. No need to set an appointment for application for a lost valid passport - applicants SHOULD proceed to the Consular Records Division (CRD) of the DFA Aseana located at ASEANA Business Park, Bradco Avenue corner Macapagal Boulevard, Paranaque City.
    5. The Department may require additional supporting documents as may be necessary, especially for applicants with dual citizenship and with foreign sounding family names to prove citizenship.
    6. Earrings and contact lenses are not allowed during data capturing. Smiling with visible teeth is also not allowed.
    7. Check all the data in the computer monitor and in the Enrolment Certificate before signing it.
    8. Only immediate family members are allowed to get the passport in behalf of the applicant. Immediate family members include father, mother, brother, sister, spouse and children of legal age.
    9. Passport shall be released to an immediate family member only with proper authorization letter. Passport of a minor applicant shall be released to parents only or to an authorized representative with Special Power of Attorney and Affidavit of Support and Consent.
    10. Passports unclaimed after six (6) months will be canceled per Department Order No. 37-03.
    11. Check all data in the received e-passport upon release.
    12. Number of processing days may vary depending on the location of the Regional Consular Office where the application was filed.
    13. Power failures, technical breakdowns and natural calamities may delay the release of passports. Applicants are advised to book flights taking into consideration such incidents. NO REFUND of fees will be made on account of these unforeseen delays.

If it was me, I`d tell her to just try to travel on the old one and tell the UK immigration that it was not possible to get a new PP before her return.

What are they gonna do? Not let her in?

If it was only the airline that made a comment then that is just because they are the ones who will have to cover the cost of sending her back to the Philippines if UKBA won't let her in. However I doubt she would be denied as it was not one of their officials that commented on it.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    If it was me I`d tell her to just try to travel on the old one and tell the UK immigration that it was not possible to get a new PP before her return.
    What are they gonna do? Not let her in?
    She would have a problem with that. There was news a few months ago about a young boy who was scheduled to have an operation in Thailand or Indonesia but wasn't able to check in because of a faulty or broken passport. The boy had to wait for a few days to get his emergency passport so he could travel.

John_10, I advise that your wife pays for a RUSH passport application. Pay the extra fees needed if you must, just to get things sorted out ASAP.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

As Dedworth has already pointed out, it's down to the airline if they allow her on the flight or not. If they have already said they'll not allow her to return on the same passport I'd be contacting them to verify if they'll even allow her to board the plane if she can't get a replacement passport.

John_10, I advise that your wife pays for a RUSH passport application. Pay the extra fees needed if you must, just to get things sorted out ASAP.
    How do you apply for a rush service Rayna? Any links?
    Thanks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    As Dedworth has already pointed out, it's down to the airline if they allow her on the flight or not. If they have already said they'll not allow her to return on the same passport I'd be contacting them to verify if they'll even allow her to board the plane if she can't get a replacement passport.
    Sounds the sensible way

Just had a quick look..If you are lucky enough to get an early appointment date (our appointments took 6 weeks) then after processing she has to pay 1,200 Peso`s for a "rushed" passport...

15 days!!

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Just had a quick look..If you are lucky enough to get an early appointment date (our appointments took 6 weeks) then after processing she has to pay 1,200 Peso`s for a "rushed" passport...

15 days!!
    Express is 7 working days...

http://manila.passport.com.ph/passport-fees-info
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Thanks everyone for your input.

As I said, Maricris went to her local DFA in Tacloban and was told to go to Manila in the morning. The man said it would take 7 days to process. Nothing was said about online applications but, like Maricris said, it was closed so she will go tomorrow.

But according to Fred, she will not get in. She needs to apply online.
    Should I phone Etihad and explain her problem? She only has 14 days then back to UK. Maricris is going to the DFA Manila tomorrow. She will let me know how it all went.

As soon as they noticed the damaged passport, I should have said holiday over - let's go home - at least we could have sorted her passport here in the UK. Poor woman is stressed, having not had a chance to be with her family properly. Not seen where her Dad was buried. Just running around for her passport.

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    My bad!! Damned Wiki how site says 15 days. (step 8)
    http://www.wikihow.com/Get-a-Philippine-Passport..

But according to Fred, she will not get in. She needs to apply online.
    Should I phone Etihad and explain her problem? She only has 14 days then back to UK. Maricris is going to the DFA Manila tomorrow. She will let me know how it all went.

As soon as they noticed the damaged passport, I should have said holiday over - let's go home - at least we could have sorted her passport here in the UK. Poor woman is stressed, having not had a chance to be with her family properly. Not seen where her Dad was buried. Just running around for her passport.
    I have already stated what I would do,re travel on existing passport.. No advice intended as that would be my personal decision.

What are Etihad`s re booking policies?
    Would it be too expensive for her to stay another week or two?
    Ahh what the hell.. Let her spend Christmas here in the R.P!!
    Tell her not to get all stressed out. Life is too short!

If she could stay another week, I don't think she would, she thinks running round Manila is mental compared to sleepy Rossendale, plus she will miss the snow. Just a quick update:

Maricris arrived at DFA this morning and said the queue was long, but got a nice lady who said she should get a new passport. Maricris paid 950 Peso and was told to pick up her new passport on the 12th. So, hopefully, everything will be ok.

Many thanks everyone for your advice and support.

Thread Information