Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Question for the doc

As I,m about to fly home in 3 weeks time, is it advisable to take a daily aspirin pill ? I,ve had operations before and was told I,m at risk of deep vein thrombosis - although that was in 2007. I,ve had 4 hip ops.

I am a bit worried as I walked about a hundred yards and almost passed out. My head went dizzy and I nearly fell over.

Thanks

I take Aspirin daily along with Omeprazole too - which protects me from the aspirin - as I had an ulcer years ago. These were prescribed by my doc, at aspirin 75 mg. Here in Phil, I get 80 mg.

I was first prescribed after being diagnosed with a slight narrowing in one of my veins in my heart. They found this when I had Pericarditis I think it's called (when the heart gets squeezed by the outer layer).

Doc will know what the right terms for this are. However, you should not take aspirin without your doctor's approval. My doctor here in Phils is a bit in the dark about my medical conditions as he hasn't encountered some of them here.

So yes, I would be asking not only our Doc Alan's opinion, but also your local doc

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    I take Aspirin daily along with Omeprazole too - which protects me from the aspirin - as I had an ulcer years ago. These were prescribed by my doc, at aspirin 75 mg. Here in Phil, I get 80 mg.

I was first prescribed after being diagnosed with a slight narrowing in one of my veins in my heart. They found this when I had Pericarditis I think its called (when the heart gets squeezed by the outer layer).

Doc will know what the right terms for this are. However, you should not take aspirin without your doctor's approval. My doctor here in Phils is a bit in the dark about my medical conditions as he hasn't encountered some of them here.

So yes, I would be asking not only our Doc Alan's opinion, but also your local doc.
    Good advice!

For good or bad I've been taking 75mg Dispersible Aspirin tabs for many years.
    This has always been under knowledge and agreement of my Doctor.

Stewart, how much do those tabs cost over there ?
    I have them included in my regular repeat prescription which is free.......

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    For good or bad I've been taking 75mg Dispersible Aspirin tabs for many years.
    This has always been under knowledge and agreement of my Doctor.

Stewart, how much do those tabs cost over there ?
    I have them included in my regular repeat prescription which is free.......
    Oh I've forgotten. I will get back to you on that, maybe I still have a receipt.

By the way, I use Mercury Pharmacist. They accept my UK prescription as proof of any meds I need. I use the same prescription over and over again. they give you it back - seems it does not expire. Same with my doctor's prescriptions over here. Just save the prescription for next time, no need to keep seeing the doc every time you need a restock.

Here we go, Peter. Just put my hands straight on a receipt. 80mg aspirin (not soluble) 85.50 per 30 tabs, 2.85 per tablet.

Here we go, Peter. Just put my hands straight on a receipt. 80mg aspirin (not soluble) 85.50 per 30 tabs, 2.85 per tablet.
    Not too bad.....
    Thanks a lot Stewart......and for the tip about UK issued scripts

Trusted Member
    Of course any member should take advice from their own doctor – who can take a " clinical history " ( symptoms ) and examine appropriately ( for " signs " ), then refer as required for tests / further opinions, and treat." Dizziness " is a common symptom, not usually serious, but should be checked out by a doctor.

Aspirin is a very useful and cheap drug. For a far lower dose than that required to ease pain, it may be prescribed for daily use to prevent blood clots. The benefits to people with – or at increased risk from - heart disease or certain types of strokes outweighs the small risk of side-effects ( bleeding / ulcers in stomach, allergy, and others ). For otherwise healthy people, most experts would NOT recommend daily low-dose aspirin.

Please also note – aspirin works by preventing blood clots forming in ARTERIES. It’s narrowing or blockage of arteries to heart or brain or elsewhere which may cause angina, " heart attack ", stroke and other effects of reduced blood flow. ( Pericarditis = inflamed surface of the heart, may be related to a heart attack or infection ).

Aspirin is not thought to be very effective at preventing blood clots in VEINS. For that, anticoagulants like heparin and warfarin are used. Aspirin would not normally be prescribed for " deep venous thrombosis " ( DVT ) – a blood clot forming in a deep leg vein ( which may break off and travel in the bloodstream to the lungs = pulmonary embolism ).

Aspirin is not routinely recommended for prevention of DVTs associated with long haul travel. High risk travellers ( recent surgery ; pregnancy ; previous DVT ; recent severe illness including cancer ) would need to be medically assessed for fitness to travel anyway.

The risk of DVT from travel is small for most travellers. Sensible measures include exercising calf and foot muscles ( walking up and down the aisle of the plane when there’s no turbulence ) ; " CR " breaks when travelling by bus ; drinking enough water and limiting alcohol to prevent dehydration ; and possibly wearing elastic compression stockings.

Stewart, do you find they help with coping with the heat in the Philippines?

I always take them before long haul flights and kept taking them for the duration of holidays in very humid countries as I thought they helped me cope with the conditions.

However, after reading Doc Alan`s comments and advice I may need a rethink.

My old dad was on warfarin for years.
    Terrible stuff. He used to have a blood test every couple of weeks to verify and confirm his daily dose.
    He only ever looked forward to those blood tests when the pretty and chatty Filipina nurse came

(Me too, but tell my wife hahaha)

I recently asked my Doctor if he thought I could drop the Aspirin and he said no as he wanted to keep my risk levels as they were. Can't remember the % now.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Of course any member should take advice from their own doctor – who can take a " clinical history " ( symptoms ) and examine appropriately ( for " signs " ), then refer as required for tests / further opinions, and treat." Dizziness " is a common symptom, not usually serious, but should be checked out by a doctor.

Aspirin is a very useful and cheap drug. For a far lower dose than that required to ease pain, it may be prescribed for daily use to prevent blood clots. The benefits to people with – or at increased risk from - heart disease or certain types of strokes outweighs the small risk of side-effects ( bleeding / ulcers in stomach, allergy, and others ). For otherwise healthy people, most experts would NOT recommend daily low-dose aspirin.

Please also note – aspirin works by preventing blood clots forming in ARTERIES. It’s narrowing or blockage of arteries to heart or brain or elsewhere which may cause angina, " heart attack ", stroke and other effects of reduced blood flow. ( Pericarditis = inflamed surface of the heart, may be related to a heart attack or infection ).

Aspirin is not thought to be very effective at preventing blood clots in VEINS. For that, anticoagulants like heparin and warfarin are used. Aspirin would not normally be prescribed for " deep venous thrombosis " ( DVT ) – a blood clot forming in a deep leg vein ( which may break off and travel in the bloodstream to the lungs = pulmonary embolism ).

Aspirin is not routinely recommended for prevention of DVTs associated with long haul travel. High risk travellers ( recent surgery ; pregnancy ; previous DVT ; recent severe illness including cancer ) would need to be medically assessed for fitness to travel anyway.

The risk of DVT from travel is small for most travellers. Sensible measures include exercising calf and foot muscles ( walking up and down the aisle of the plane when there’s no turbulence ) ; " CR " breaks when travelling by bus ; drinking enough water and limiting alcohol to prevent dehydration ; and possibly wearing elastic compression stockings.
    Thanks doc

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Last time I set eyes on Aspirin was when I was about eight years old, thought they didn't exist anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete/London View Post
    Stewart, do you find they help with coping with the heat in the Philippines?

I always take them before long haul flights and kept taking them for the duration of holidays in very humid countries as I thought they helped me cope with the conditions.

However, after reading Doc Alan`s comments and advice I may need a rethink.
    I haven't noticed any difference if I take or don't take aspirin as far as helping to cope with the heat

Thread Information