Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Respected Member Jentobeharrison's Avatar

Exclamation Struggle in getting a job

I've had interviews in some customer advisor roles and got failed, it was in BT and sofaworks. Due to desperation I had no choice but to apply to McDonald's and Primark and so surprised that they rejected my application which I'm now worried about. What if no one will accept me? I don't know their basis of rejecting me aside from BT that gave me feedback. I just can't believe it. I'm feel so stupid and dumb at the moment and making me become pessimistic.

Have you thought about joining an agency first? That's what Ems did and she found work straightaway.

I'd say an agency too..

Have you looked into the possibility of a temporary job over the Christmas period, a lot of high street stores look for extra staff for the Christmas rush.

If anything it will be something to add to your CV

Yup I always apply to the job positions that I will fit it includes applying via recruitment agency. I also apply for some Christmas covering staff positions which means part time

Top shop
    Rhode Island
    Caffe Nero
    love coffee
    Bank fashion
    Thorntons
    Tesco
    Aldi
    Costa haydock
    New look
    River island
    Costa
    Oasis
    Primark
    Next
    Subway

Also applied in some receptionist or secretary but got rejected.

Bt, Sofaworks, McDonald's, primark.

McDonald's and those fastfood and departments stores are not really my forte and personally I don't wanna work there but I had no choice but to gain UK job experiences. Didn't know it's not easy as what I was thinking

Banned
    Sounds like you've got plenty of arrows in the air - good luck

My wife started with an agency at first.

Jen, I know how you feel right now, because I've been in that situation last year. It's so hard to find a job without any experience here in UK. I'd say employers more prefer it if someone you know will recommend you for a particular job.

Try to find Filipinos around you, so they can help you. But don't lose hope, you can find a job.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Jen, it took my Maritess a year of applying for jobs before being accepted, but eventually she got there and has never looked back since. She first went to the Jobcentre, they sent her to a place in town that did her a CV and from then on she went round all the care homes dropping the CV's in and then repeated the process every three months. At the same time, she went on the NHS website and registered applying for Catering assistant vacancies in our postcode area.

After a year - and many applications locally and on the internet - one of the care homes employed her and she's been there ever since doing various jobs, Catering assistant, Domestic assistant and working in the laundry and she loves it. Also working an average of 49 hours per week.

Whilst working there, she also kept applying on the NHS websites and after many unsuccessful applications for catering assistant vacancies she has at last been accepted and has her induction tomorrow.

So don't give up Jen, keep applying and you will get a job eventually.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Blimey, getting rejected by McDonalds? Ya can,t get any lower than that. I would be worried too if I got rejected by them. But don,t worry, a job will come along. At least you,re trying - unlike thousands of Brit scroungers that have no interest in working.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post
    Blimey, getting rejected by McDonalds? Ya can,t get any lower than that. I would be worried too if I got rejected by them. But don,t worry, a job will come along. At least you,re trying - unlike thousands of Brit scroungers that have no interest in working.
    Seems to be getting worse..
    I thought the economy was picking up?

In spite of what Tiger says - and to a point he is right - there are youngsters with degrees who can't find work. It's tough out there, despite the economy glowing. (We are led to believe). Like has been said, it would be best to join an agency.

I am sorry you are having such a hard time, it makes me feel really lucky as my husband had no problem at all finding work, he was offered jobs as a carer, in Primark, in a restaurant and eventually accepted one in Asda. If you would like someone to look over your CV and give some advice I would be happy to help. It may be that there is absolutely nothing wrong with you or the way you are filling in applications but sometimes there can be small things that will mean you wont even get asked for an interview. Sometimes the places like McDonalds etc only want teenagers as they can get away with paying them less and think they will have less bother with them, so I really wouldn't take it personally at all. I really wish you luck and hope you will find something. Don't lose hope, in the bigger scheme of things you really haven't been looking that long yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    I am sorry you are having such a hard time, it makes me feel really lucky as my husband had no problem at all finding work, he was offered jobs as a carer, in Primark, in a restaurant and eventually accepted one in Asda. If you would like someone to look over your CV and give some advice I would be happy to help. It may be that there is absolutely nothing wrong with you or the way you are filling in applications but sometimes there can be small things that will mean you wont even get asked for an interview. Sometimes the places like McDonalds etc only want teenagers as they can get away with paying them less and think they will have less bother with them, so I really wouldn't take it personally at all. I really wish you luck and hope you will find something. Don't lose hope, in the bigger scheme of things you really haven't been looking that long yet.
    It's kind of you to give that advice..and what an offer!
    It's just that when I left school I had a job after two weeks..That job didn't suit me really so I found another 3 in the next 18 months.
    Sounds like these days things are different.
    I wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    It's kind of you to give that advice..and what an offer!
    It's just that when I left school I had a job after two weeks..That job didn't suit me really so I found another 3 in the next 18 months.
    Sounds like these days things are different.
    I wonder why?
    Think I wrote on another thread before.
    Got a job at 16, have always had a job ever since, I am now 40. left one job on a Friday, new job on the Monday. But in those days you could virtually walk into any High Street store, ask for a job, have an interview later that day and, if lucky, start a job the following week.

But with the start of the EU and 10's of thousands of Europeans into the UK, most of the jobs you may have got back then have been taken.

Britain is overcrowded and unfortunately there are not enough jobs to go around.

Fancy becoming an engineer, Jen? No experience needed as full training will be given. Ladies especially are sought after. Salary in the region of 20-25k.

Its kind of you to give that advice..and what an offer!
    Thanks Fred. I certainly wouldn't class myself as an expert but as I work in personnel I am used to seeing applications and CV's and sometimes all you need is a fresh pair of eyes to see something you might have missed. Also I am happy to help anyone if it will make a difference or make things easier for them

Banned
    I wonder why?
    All the jobs are pitched at the Eastern Eurotrash

Sorry to hear about that Jen. I arrived here in March of this year and got a job end of June. All I can say is keep trying and keep applying. Don't lose hope.

Goodluck!

Luddendenfoot, near Todmorden and Slaithwaite
    Don't worry Jen, you are not alone. I have been in the UK for almost three years and I have never worked full-time. At first, I found it quite daunting applying for jobs and taking time to rewrite CVs and covering letters without even getting any reply. I worked as bar staff (part-time) for more than a year while studying.

If you are keen on getting some experience in the UK to boost your CV, you can look into volunteering. There are a lot of charitable organisations who are in need of volunteers. It is also a good way of networking - I met my ex-boss while volunteering in a local charity shop and he offered me the job.

I now volunteer with three local charities to get some office experience - I still do not know if it will pay off. One can only try. With regards to registering with recruitment agencies, it might be a good idea to call them and ask if you could pop in for a chat or leave your CV. Good luck in your job search. You will find one in time.
    UKBA,UKBA I am dreading to hear from you...
    UKBA, a BRP for Christmas will do...

A lot of it depends on your location too, for example my town Corby has low unemployment maybe due to the fact that there are almost 40 job agencies in the town. Yes 40, with a population of only around 57,000. It,s these agencies I blame for the lack of permanent jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by jlags90 View Post
    Don't worry Jen, you are not alone. I have been in the UK for almost three years and I have never worked full-time. At first, I found it quiet daunting applying for jobs and taking time to rewrite CVs and covering letters without even getting any reply. I worked as bar staff (part-time) for more than a year while studying.

If you are keen on getting some experience in the UK to boost your CV, you can look into volunteering. There are a lot of charitable organisations who are in need of volunteers. It is also a good way of networking - I met my ex-boss while volunteering in a local charity shop and he offered me the job.

I now volunteer with three local charities to get some office experience - I still do not know if it will pay off. One can only try. With regards to registering with recruitment agencies, it might be a good idea to call them and ask if you could pop in for a chat or leave your CV. Good luck in your job search. You will find one in time.
    I,m not surprised you can,t find a job You,re living in the middle of nowhere lol. Can,t you relocate somewhere else where there are lots of jobs ?

A lot of it depends on your location too, for example my town Corby has low unemployment maybe due to the fact that there are almost 40 job agencies in the town. Yes 40, with a population of only around 57,000. It,s these agencies I blame for the lack of permanant jobs .
    Did you work in the steelworks Brian?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Did you work in the steelworks Brian?
    No, but most of my family did at one point, i.e. both grandads, my father and his brother. Steelworks closed in 1980 I think. 10,000 jobs gone in one foul swoop! We thought it was the end of the world lol, but Corby rose from the ashes with government subsidies and grants etc.

Corby no longer relies on one large employer, we still have tube making which was the most profitable part of the business and still employs over 2,000. Then we have R.S Components - which is the 2nd largest employer - where I worked for 10 years before going self employed by starting my own taxi business.

I,m not surprised you can,t find a job. You,re living in the middle of nowhere lol. Can,t you relocate somewhere else where there are lots of jobs ?
    I'm surprised you even know where I live. Honestly, I do not think it is the location, because I have good transport links where I live (by land or by water ).

Quote Originally Posted by jlags90 View Post
    I'm surprised you even know where I live. Honestly, I do not think it is the location, because I have good transport links where I live (by land or by water ).
    Well, having good transport links is ok if you can afford the travelling costs. Working part-time suggests to me that it would bite into your expenditure a fair bit. As for the area, I could,nt live in your part of the country - too quiet for me lol. It looks a nice place if you are retired though!

No, but most of my family did at one point, i.e. both grandads, my father and his brother. Steelworks closed in 1980 I think. 10,000 jobs gone in one foul swoop! We thought it was the end of the world lol, but Corby rose from the ashes with government subsidies and grants etc.

Corby no longer relies on one large employer, we still have tube making which was the most profitable part of the business and still employs over 2,000. Then we have R.S Components - which is the 2nd largest employer - where I worked for 10 years before going self employed by starting my own taxi business.
    I only asked because I used to collect from the steelworks whilst driving for Cocky Howard ( P C Howard of Kings Cliff)!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    I only asked because I used to collect from the steelworks whilst driving for Cocky Howard ( P C Howard of Kings Cliff)!
    Yeah, I remember them dark blue trucks, not sure if they are still in business

Yeah, I remember them dark blue trucks not sure if they are still in business
    Have seen two or three since WE came back to UK!

Well, having good transport links is ok if you can afford the travelling costs. Working part-time suggests to me that it would bite into your expenditure a fair bit. As for the area, I could,nt live in your part of the country - too quiet for me lol. It looks a nice place if you are retired though!
    It did bite a bit of the wage, but one cannot have everything. I was studying at the same time so full time job is not feasible. I do not think employers will look at applicants' CV and hire who lives the closest.

Asda rejected me. Lol this is getting so funnier.

But I have something to tell you tomorrow! Just enjoying my birthday night! Will get back tomorrow or Monday to tell the good news xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information