Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    Amen to that but again they choose to do it and get paid for it.
    let;s give the same praise to the civilian who jumps in a river to rescue a kid,or our brave soldiers having to stop and search a possible suicide bomber.
    no one on here takes them for granted
    No risk assessments needed either Les

How many firefighters does it take to save a drowning seagull from a 3ft deep pond?

Onlookers in Carshalton pondered this question after health and safety rules prevented 25 firefighters from saving a stricken bird, which had become tangled in a plastic bag.

The farcical scenes at Carshalton Ponds on Saturday saw five fire crews scrambled to save the adult herring gull, which was struggling to survive in the ponds after getting its foot caught in the bag.

But after a health and safety assessment when the five crews arrived shortly after 2pm, it was deemed it was not safe for firefighters to wade out in the waist-deep water to save the floundering bird.

After a stand-off, it was left to a wildlife centre volunteer to pull on his waders and walk out to save the bird.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post

It must be great living on planet Jamie & Joe
    Correction - flat planet

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Correction - flat planet
    Real world Dedworth, unlike your world of double standards, how many posts have you made on here about troughing Labour MPs, oh you hardly ever mention the Tory ones

You think £29k a year is good pay for a fireman ? And you think an MP is worthy of
    £67,060. MPs also receive expenses to cover the costs of running an office, employing staff, having somewhere to live in London and in their constituency, and travelling between Parliament and their constituency.
    Let's not forget working only 145 days a year
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Joe, I think you will find that it may only be 145 days a year in parliament but when not there they will/should be in their constituency....

I feel silly saying the same thing, but with Joe on wacky baccy or something, it has to be done.

The people who chose to be Fireman do it out of free will-they know the wage so they don't need bigging up

Why are we comparing it to MPs/Why not compare it to footballers or Golfers, Pop Stars, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Longweekend View Post
    Joe, I think you will find that it may only be 145 days a year in parliament but when not there they will/should be in their constituency....
    I know that, I doubt there is 1 day in a week you could actually go and see your MP, they probably don't have the time doing their second job and claiming expenses.

http://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/.../recess-dates/

I wish I had holidays like that
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Dedworth,

You should contact the 'Elf and Safety' and ask them why most firefighters on a shout cannot do their jobs as they used to be before these idiotic rules came out.

You are not even allowed to carry a tool box on you own now so how stupid is that.

Remember the summer of 1976 when many men did not go home for days? Who goes in when others run out?

Health and Safety does my head in. For a while we had to carry a First Aid kit in our taxis - but were not allowed to use it on a customer if needed.

I feel silly saying the same thing but with Joe on wacky baccy or something, it has to be done.

The people who chose to be Fireman do it out of free will-they know the wage so they don't need bigging up

Why are we comparing it to MPs /Why not compare it to footballers or Golfers, Pop Stars, etc?
    It's this Tory gov and MPs who are refusing the NHS a 1% increase and forcing the firemen to work until they are 60

Les, maybe you've been up all night waiting for your rich customers to call and had no sleep. If you had thought for 1 second you would realise when they started working as firemen they were not forced to work doing front-line duties until they were 60. Now the gov has decided to force them to, so your point is irrelevant. When they started as firemen they had not agreed to that

Someone once said to me many years ago, "Don't ever argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"

Health and Safety does my head in. For a while we had to carry a First Aid kit in our taxis - but were not allowed to use it on a customer if needed.
    Les, if you want to, why not? At worst, they could sue you - if something went wrong - for not being a trained first aider.

Where there might be a blame there is a claim Why'd my misses have to pay £6,000 to MDU to defend her against takers

No, as always you have gone off topic Joe bemoaning their wage not their pension rights or retiring age.

This was what I was replying to
    you think £29k a year is good pay for a firemen ?
    Yes tired, got to bed at 3 am - so I'm grumpy - which you always add to

Someone once said to me many years ago, "Don't ever argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"
    That's why I don't reply to many of your posts, I usually only reply to people who have something to contribute to the forum

No, as always you have gone off topic Joe, bemoaning their wage, not their pension rights or retiring age.

Yes tired, got to bed at 3am - so I'm grumpy - which you always add to
    Well you're going to be even more grumpy by 3 pm today

Les, if you want to, why not? At worst, they could sue you - if something went wrong - for not being a trained first aider
    That was the reason mooted so we were not forced to carry them any more.

Also I have to carry a fire extinguisher - so, in effect, I am a part-time fireman

Great I can go on strike and sing, #You wont get me I'm part of the union#

That's why I don't reply to many of your posts, I usually only reply to people who have something to contribute to the forum
    I'm thinking Joe (probably Joanne in real life) is a woman as he is such a bitch.

I feel silly saying the same thing but with Joe on wacky baccy or something, it has to be done.

The people who chose to be Fireman do it out of freewill - they know the wage, so they don't need bigging up

Why are we comparing it to MPs /Why not compare it to footballers or Golfers, Pop Stars, etc.
    YOU CERTAINLY MADE A STATEMENT THERE Les, you and Dedworth need to call the Army in an emergency.

I chose to join the Fire Brigade because it's the job that I wanted to do - and would do it again if I was 18 again - and yes I had a choice.

You dinosaurs think it's normal to expect a firefighter to work longer hours for less pay. Would you? Can you run me round your town for half price or would that be taking the urine?

I got called out at 2 am to a house fire today and got back home at 11.30. So we are there when needed - any time of day or night. Want to swap jobs as you both think its so easy?

Forest fire 3 weeks ago - 54 hours straight until it was controlled! Will invite you both to work with us next summer and see how you both shape up.

No, as always you have gone off topic Joe, bemoaning their wage not their pension rights or retiring age.
    Pension Rights Les? They pay that 14.%+ out of their wage. It's not about retiring, I believe they can get their pension at 60 - same as the Police and Armed Forces - what they are objecting to, is being forced to work on the front-line until they are 60 !!

You don't see bobbies on the beat any more, but I'm sure you would say something if 60 yr-olds were on the front-line fight the Taliban

I'm thinking Joe (probably joanne) in real life is a woman as he is such a bitch
    Your avatar says it all Lesley

Quote Originally Posted by malolos View Post
    YOU CERTAINLY MADE A STATEMENT THERE Les, you and Dedworth need to call the Army in an emergency.

I chose to join the Fire Brigade because its the job that I wanted to do - and would do it again if I was 18 again - and yes I had a choice.

You dinosaurs think its normal to expect a firefighter to work longer hours for less pay. Would you? Can you run me round your town for half price or would that be taking the urine.

I got called out at 2 am to a house fire today and got back home at 11.30. So we are there when needed any time of day or night. Want to swap jobs as you both think its so easy?

Forest fire 3 weeks ago 54 hours straight until it was controlled! Will invite you both to work with us next summer and see how you both shape up.

Thought you were in Spain

That was the reason mooted so we were not forced to carry them anymore.

Also I have to carry a fire extinguisher so, in effect, I am a part time fireman

Great I can go on strike and sing, # You won't get me - I'm part of the union#
    Well this gov and the next [Miliband] one need to end these ambulance chasers

Quote Originally Posted by malolos View Post

I chose to join the Fire Brigade because it's the job that I wanted to do - and would do it again if I was 18 again - and yes, I had a choice.

You dinosaurs think its normal to expect a firefighter to work longer hours for less pay. Would you? Can you run me round your town for half price - or would that be taking the urine?

I got called out at 2 am to a house fire today and got back home at 11.30. So we are there when needed any time of day or night. Want to swap jobs as you both think its so easy?

Forest fire 3 weeks ago 54 hours straight until it was controlled! Will invite you both to work with us next summer and see how you both shape up.
    Well you and the other Emergency Services do a great job! Pity some on here think less of you. Oh they will change their tune when they need the Emergency Services

SimonH,

Have a house in Spain and UK family house in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    Well you and the other Emergency Services do a great job! Pity some on here think less of you. , Oh they'll change their tune when they need the Emergency Services
    That's the second time you've mentioned other members thinking less of Essential Service employees or taking them for granted.

I'd love for you to come out and say who you're actually insinuating thinks this way

Not dinosuars at all, just live in the real world - and it's tougher than it used to be for everyone.

Once again I'm not slagging firefighters off.

Yes, if you said to me, "Do you earn less than you used to for the same hours?" I would say, "Most definitely, yes".

I can say this, I have had to deal with 'abusive - want a fight with you - drunks', Malos and have had a gun waved in my car, so it's not all blue rinse old dears in my job.

Are you totally mad You're saying a firefighter should get @ £40K whereas a MP should get paid £26.5K
    I'd love to know what you do for a living
    You must have started early Jamie to come out with that one
    So let me get this straight, what you're both saying is that firefighters should get £40K a year. An MP's job is not putting out fires and saving peoples lives and therefore they should get paid £26.5K a year and this will prevent them going out and getting second jobs

It must be great living on planet Jamie & Joe
    That's the second time you've mentioned other members thinking less of essential service employees or taking them for granted. I'd love for you to come out and say who you're actually insinuating thinks this way

“It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt”

― Mark Twain

“It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt”

― Mark Twain

All in response to your ridiculous arguments Joe

By quoting that, are you accusing me of thinking less of firefighters?

I certainly hope not

I never really cared very much about bitching to employers about pay.. If I didn't like the pay I`d give them an ultimatum..If that didnt work, I left and either found another job or created one like Les did.

I can say this, I have had to deal with 'abusive - want a fight with you - drunks', Malos and have had a gun waved in car, so its not all blue rinse old dears in my job.
    That's the same abuse emergency workers put up with too; also bus drivers and NHS workers

That's the same abuse emergency workers put up with to, also bus drivers and NHS workers
    If you don't like it DON'T be an NHS worker or a Bus driver!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information