Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Question More bureaucracy for those who want a Filipino ‘trouble and strife’

October 30 2014

The House of Representatives has approved on second reading a measure providing for additional requirements for male foreigners desiring to marry Filipino women. The measure is intended to help prevent exploitation.

Source

The House of Representatives has approved on second reading.........
    Looks like this is still moving forward

Simple - don,t marry in the Philippines. A few drop outs in life now we are to be tarnished with the same brush. What about Filipinos who can hardly support a wife but go on to have 10 kids no mention of those facts eh Gwen?

The woman is a retard.

They're quite happy for Filipina's to go to the Middle East to get exploited or see them live in squalor in their own country.

And we're the vagabonds?

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Trusted Member
    Quite right Jamie.

This is probably aimed at daydreamers from the Indian Sub-Continent and other such toilet states, but of course all of us foreigners are the same, right ?

Naturally the fact that sponsors from 1st world countries such as the UK, USA and Australia have their own strict rules to be complied with regarding income etc, are completely disregarded by these ignorant xenophobic pompous pricks.

Ah well, we'll keep sending the millions in aid and charity money, so these same parasitic politicians can fill their pockets in places like Tacloban.

I don't normally comment on these type of threads, but having read that, what a load of bullshyte

Well, I'm going to go against popular opinion here and say this doesn't sound all bad. Fact is, I've both heard of and met too many men who have got wives from Thailand, the Philippines and even Eastern Europe because they're frankly foul tempered, foul minded pieces of , who British women, and even more so Aussie women wouldn't give time of day to (or would put them in hospital in the case of Aussies and Yorkshire women).

If you're a decent enough guy, it shouldn't be that hard to get some sort of reference.

Having said that, I'd have a thousand percent more respect for this idea - the idea of protecting the women, and preventing the quote "untold miseries and suffering to our Filipino women" and "dishonor and disgrace to Filipino womanhood" if that same government banned their women from travelling to certain toilet states to work in horrendous conditions, way worse than being married to a miserable git.

Until they do that, I'm calling BS on this one

Quote Originally Posted by Iani View Post
    Well, I'm going to go against popular opinion here and say this doesn't sound all bad. Fact is, I've both heard of and met too many men who have got wives from Thailand, the Philippines and even Eastern Europe because they're frankly foul tempered, foul minded pieces of , who British women, and even more so Aussie women wouldn't give time of day to (or would put them in hospital in the case of Aussies and Yorkshire women).

If you're a decent enough guy, it shouldn't be that hard to get some sort of reference.

Having said that, I'd have a thousand percent more respect for this idea - the idea of protecting the women, and preventing the quote "untold miseries and suffering to our Filipino women" and "dishonor and disgrace to Filipino womanhood" if that same government banned their women from travelling to certain toilet states to work in horrendous conditions, way worse than being married to a miserable git.

Until they do that, I'm calling BS on this one
    That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the subject.

I've spent almost 9 months helping out some of those Filipina's who got themselves tied in with some real pieces of
    Fortunately all but one have had to face legal retribution and are now out of the lives of these poor ladies who were trapped.
    The one remaining will be facing legal action and eviction when he finally returns.

I'm not sure this bill will really help but even if it saves one lady from exploitation it's worth it IMO

I'm going across to the Phils in Jan to get married, will I need a character reference?

I have obtained the following documents just in case:

Police Clearance form

Reference from the Dean of the Faculty where I studied

A reference from work, with details of my job: Job title, earnings, type of employment, time spent working there so far.

I guess this should suffice?

Quote Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
    I'm going across to the Phils in Jan to get married, will I need a character reference?

I have obtained the following documents just in case:

Police Clearance form

Reference from the Dean of the Faculty where I studied

A reference from work, with details of my job: Job title, earnings, type of employment, time spent working there so far.

I guess this should suffice?
    No not yet as it hasn't yet passed..
    When it does though you may have a problem because this stupid stupid ignorant woman thinks that like the Philippines the Brit Gov. have departments that hand out certificates of "good moral character"!
    Good luck with that!

The Philippine Embassy requires that for permanent residency :-

Original and three (3) photocopies of a “Certificate of Good Moral Character” from the applicant’s employer/former employer or parish priest or any person of good standing in the
    community

Trusted Member
    I wonder how the Phils govt. plan to check up on those ?

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    The Philippine Embassy requires that for permanent residency :-
    Not when I applied they didn't!!
    Being self employed I had not had a previous employer for years and I certainly did not know a Parish priest!!
    Even if I did though..The very thought of me having to allow a priest to decide on or be a judge of MY moral character is something I would have most certainly found offensive!
    I wonder why she thinks a UK Police clearance is not good enough on its own?

I'm so glad to be getting married in three weeks time.

Have enough requirements to meet as it is.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekee View Post

Too true, hope the wedding go's well!

Quote Originally Posted by cheekee View Post

Not long to go now, Phil ... have a wonderful and best wishes to you and Sheina for a great future together.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    but of course all of us foreigners are the same, right ?
    Yup. We're all sleazy horrid western men apparently.

Good post, Graham. Enjoy your holiday in the Phils by the way ya lucky bugger . It's been a year next week when I was in Pangasinan and I wish I was there now too.

Any ideas when this bill will be passed?

I'm getting married in Ph in Jan 2015; hope I won't need it!

Quote Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
    Any ideas when this bill will be passed?

I'm getting married in Ph in Jan 2015; hope i won't need it!
    Shouldn't worry about it for a while yet!

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    Yup. We're all sleazy horrid western men apparently.

Good post, Graham. Enjoy your holiday in the Phils by the way ya lucky bugger . It's been a year next week when I was in Pangasinan and I wish I was there now too.
    Dull and overcast in Manila. Hoping to be in Pangasinan tomorrow.

It passed!!

CEBU, Philippines - Male foreigners who have the intention to marry Filipinas will now have to comply with additional requirements after the House of Representatives approved on final reading House Bill 2387, which aims to protect Filipino women against exploitation.

The bill, which was proposed by former Cebu governor and current third district Representative Gwendolyn Garcia, amends the purpose of Article 21 of Executive Order No. 209, or the Family Code of the Philippines.
    Garcia is optimistic that the objective of the bill, which was strongly endorsed by Representative Marlyn Primicias-Agabas, chairperson of the sponsor-House Committee on Revision of Laws, would also earn the support of the Upper House.
    “The main objective of HB 2387 is to protect Filipino women against exploitation by foreigners who marry them without evident means to support a family,” Garcia explained.
    Garcia pointed out the “public knowledge that some of the foreigners coming to the Philippines in order to marry Filipino women are vagabonds or social and moral derelicts in their own country and whose real motive for marriage is only to take advantage and exploit our women by making them work and worse, by sending them to prostitution and other degrading and dehumani-zing occupations.”
    “The exploitation of our women, thru the so-called mail-order or pen-pal, Facebook, website and other internet-arranged marriages, have caused not only untold miseries and sufferings for the victims but also brought dishonor and disgrace to Filipino womanhood,” Garcia emphasized.
    Freeman ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch:

According to HB 2387, foreign male citizens who intend to marry a Filipina are obliged to provide certificates stating his good moral character and that he has a gainful trade, business, employment or other lawful source of income.
    In line with this, the measure seeks to amend the current Section 21 of the Family Code of the Philippines by adding the following: “...when the male contracting party is a foreigner, in addition to the certificate of legal capacity, a certificate of good moral character and a certificate of gainful trade, business, employment or other lawful source of income issued by his diplomatic or consular official, must be submitted before a marriage license can be obtained.
    At present, Sec. 21 only provides that: “When either or both of the contracting parties are citizens of a foreign country, it shall be necessary for them before a marriage license can be obtained, to submit a certificate of legal capacity to contract marriage, issued by their respective diplomatic or consular officials.”
    Likewise, “stateless persons or refugees from other countries shall, in lieu of the certificate herein required, submit an affidavit stating the circumstances showing such capacity to contract marriage.”
    The Department of Justice, in coordination with the Department of Foreign Affairs, Department of Social Welfare and Development, Department of Interior and Local Government, Philippine Commission on Women, Commission on Filipinos Overseas and Philippine Statistics Authority, shall promulgate the rules and regulations necessary for the implementation of the proposed Act within 90 days from enactment. — AJ de la Torre-Orong/NSA (FREEMAN)
    http://www.philstar....marry-filipinas

So.
    Which British institution supplies a certificate of good moral character??
    A consular or diplomatic official they say?
    Do these officials need to have known the applicant for at least 3 years??
    What a joke.

Pure discrimination at its finest. What about a peanut seller or sugar cane worker etc who can,t even send their kids to school? Just pick out the easy targets and gain lots of brownie points in the Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post
    Pure discrimination at its finest. What about a peanut seller or sugar cane worker etc who can,t even send their kids to school? Just pick out the easy targets and gain lots of brownie points in the Senate.
    Can you imagine the work load the local Brit Consul will have to take on!!!

There goes the charity lunch schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Not when I applied they didn't!!
    Being self employed I had not had a previous employer for years and I certainly did not know a Parish priest!!
    Even if I did though..The very thought of me having to allow a priest to decide on or be a judge of MY moral character is something I would have most certainly found offensive!
    I wonder why she thinks a UK Police clearance is not good enough on its own?
    Because she thinks all Police departments are as corrupt as they are in the Philippines!

Time to consider popping over to Hong Kong for a speedy and bureaucracy free marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    implementation of the proposed Act within 90 days from enactment.
    You'll be OK Cheekee

Trusted Member
    What fools they are...discriminating against the very people who in the majority of cases (civilised Western countries), the intention is to take the Filipina to a better life, where she will also most likely be sending money back home to the Phils, and where she will have far more rights than in her home country.

Thread Information