Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Whats the best way forward ?

Although I have been through this all before it was several years ago with the now x wife, me and my girlfriend Riechelle are about to start applying for a fiancés visa, are only problem might be my earnings I,m a self employed roofer and after a few lean years things have just started to get better. The help this site gives is fantastic but I just wanted to find out is their an order to gathering the paperwork required ? I know that my main thing to do is to get my accountant to get my financial paperwork up to date but what about Reichelle ?
    Is it English test ? TB test ? or an other ? I think we should have all the paperwork by January.
    ps. where do I get a new birth certificate from ? my last one is PI after sending it for my x wifes visa several years ago.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Hi Mac, can help you with birth certificate, just call GRO on 03001231837, good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

many thanks

There's a number of mandatory documents to secure.

I'd suggest you consider the timescales, location and the validity duration of each piece of evidential documentation.

The English Language test certificate usually has a validity of at least 2 years.
    The TB certification is valid for 6 months and the pre-screening can only be done at the UKVI clinic in Manila

Income related and bank statements need to be up to date with the latest documents less than 28 days old

Our forum is one of the best resources around, do make best use of that by searching out the information needed.

As a first step in reviewing the forms and documentation take a look here at the Application for UK visa for family settlement: form VAF4A then ask any specific questions.

In connection with the Fiancée visa don't underestimate the need to support evidence of the relationship and intention to marry and live together on a permanent basis.

As self-employed you'd be well advised to carefully think through the specific Financial Requirements.
    Remember that £18600 income threshold is gross taxable income not business income.

Terpe thank you but could you explaine gross taxable even if im self employed and my accountant will deal with this I would still like to try and understand it, by the way im dyslexic and have some trouble understanding things, ive read your post on Fiance visas and was amazed at the detail its very helpful but by the time im on the second sentence ive forgotton the the fist one lol, looks like Reichelle could start the English test and TB together if not at leat the English test, will she need the certificate to say she is free to marry as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Mac M View Post
    Terpe thank you but could you explaine gross taxable even if im self employed and my accountant will deal with this I would still like to try and understand it.....
    The specific rules for those who are self-employed can become a little more complex and confusing.

If you feel comfortable with your own research and understanding that's fine.
    If there is any doubt whatsoever, it may be worth spending a small fee for a good professional and experienced consultation with your accountant.
    You can always double check here for the immigration rules implications.

For self-employed there are two main categories:-

- Category F - you are in self-employment at the date of application and using income from the last full financial year to meet the financial requirement.

- Category G - you are in self-employment at the date of application and choose to use an average of the income received in the last 2 full financial years to meet the financial requirement.
    Means, for example, if you had a gross taxable income of £16,800 in the last full financial year, but in the previous financial year you received an income of £20,400 the average income from the two financial years would be considered as £18,600

Taxable Income for Self-Employed is business revenue less business expenses.
    Your business may have an annual income of £40000
    But if the annual business expenses are £25000 then the Financial Requirement is not met.

If your business accounts show that you are being taxed on an amount less than £18600then the application will fall for refusal.

Quite a number of people have slipped up on this.
    Sometimes it may be necessary to adjust the business expenses structures and 'tax-breaks so that your taxable income is £18600 or more.

Sounds strange but be aware.

Under 'normal' conditions you may be trying to keep taxable income to a minimum.
    Under UKBA requirements you may need to uplift your taxable income.
    Your accountant can help with this but just be sure you meet the requirement.

All of the following must be provided:-

(a) Evidence of the amount of tax payable, paid and unpaid for the last full financial year.

(b) The following documents for the last full financial year, or for the last two such years (where those documents show the necessary level of gross income as an average of those two years):
    (i) annual self-assessment tax return to HMRC (a copy or print-out);
    (ii) Statement of Account (SA300 or SA302).

(c) Proof of registration with HMRC as self-employed if available.

(d) Each partner's Unique Tax Reference Number (UTR) and/or the UTR of the partnership or business.

(e) Where the person holds or held a separate business bank account(s), bank statements for the same 12-month period as the tax return(s).

(f) Personal bank statements for the same 12-month period as the tax return(s) showing that the income from self-employment has been paid into an account in the name of the person or in the name of the person and their partner jointly.

(g) Evidence of ongoing self-employment through evidence of payment of Class 2 National Insurance contributions.

(h) One of the following documents must also be submitted:
    (i) (aa) If the business is required to produce annual audited accounts, such accounts for the last full financial year; or
    (bb) If the business is not required to produce annual audited accounts, unaudited accounts for the last full financial year and an accountant‟s certificate of confirmation, from an accountant who is a member of a UK Recognised Supervisory Body (as defined in the Companies Act 2006);
    (ii) A certificate of VAT registration and the VAT return for the last full financial year (a copy or print-out) confirming the VAT registration number, if turnover is in excess of £79,000 or was in excess of the threshold which applied during the last full financial year;
    (iii) Evidence to show appropriate planning permission or local planning authority consent is held to operate the type/class of business at the trading address (where this is a local authority requirement); or
    (iv) A franchise agreement signed by both parties.

The specific details and mandatory supporting documentation can be found in Annex FM Section FM 1.7: Financial Requirement

Nice one its always a problem after trying to show as little as possible I now need to show as much as possible, I am two years behind on my accounts and im sure my accountant can shift some from one year into the other to show a higher amount, thanks for the help.

Thread Information