Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am ready

I am ready

Well I think I am ready to say, "let's go", or am I?

Do I have enough funds? Well yes and no, who knows.

"Where do we live?" Ems asks. I don't care.

"Well I am not ready", Ems says. That stumps me.

Back to the drawing board

It takes 2

Don't take decisions for all the wrong reasons you'll be risking a happy life .....just my view

you've made a few post about finances, so some doubts are there Steve, but your doing the right thing to weigh everything up. its a big decision
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

I know Ems wants to work here for a few more years and I cannot blame her for wanting that too.

I am quite prepared to wait, and like you say Joe, there are lots of plans to make before we both can say this is it. The longer I stay here the more we shall have, but time is running out very, very fast now,

I think this coming next year will make a big difference for me with the new pension plans coming into force, who knows, plus our visit this xmas to the Phils too.

Seeing the house that's not built and how the family is to us both.

With everything I do in life, I stand back and think about it. That's a good thing for me - might pee off Ems sometimes - but we get there in the end. STILL NO LOUIS VUITTON BAG, but I am running out of excuses now for that.

If Ems wants to work another 2 years in UK, why not set your goal at that with you both in agreement?

Now that's lots of time to gather all you need to know - and some more cash.

But I think even when you're ready, you will still be thinking, "have we enough cash?"

Enough cash? How much is enough? Obviously the more the better!

It also depends on what lifestyle you want to live.

Perhaps some come to Phils with the idea of wanting a much better lifestyle than they could have in UK, so perhaps they'll run out of cash much more quickly.

Me? Well I'm living a lower lifestyle than I was in UK. My choice, because I know that our project will provide for us, a good lifestyle not far away from that now. And also, our investment in the building will take away concerns of finding any cash for hospital bills etc. So this will bring peace of mind with it. Also I'm expecting it will provide cash for holidays - like going to Thailand, Hong Kong, etc and visiting UK - not to forget touring the Philippines.

Now if I hadn't invested my UK money, it would soon disappear in day to day living.

5 more years before my UK Government pension. I have no private pension.

I too, wondered if I would have enough, but I made my decision, and have no regrets.

Had I stayed in the UK - unable to decide - then time and opportunity would have passed me by, and I would rather not spend the rest of my life wondering what if, or I wish I had ... and oh it's too late now.

Even though from the 1st day visiting the British Embassy - and then all the rest up until now (1 year of stress from all this and our building project) - we never gave ourselves time to breathe.

But hey, even though we had this stress, it wasn't bad enough to affect my health. The same in UK maybe would have finished me off!

I love it here, Steve - best thing I ever did! Just be sure in your mind that it's really what you want. If it is, then don't put walls of doubt in front of you, we all only live once.

5 more years until your Govt Pension. Will you have the single guy's pension - currently around £148ish - or are you able to claim the Couple's pension, which is, I believe, some £100 per week higher? It would make a heck of a difference to your lifestyle if you can have the couple's pension.

I too, am thinking of doing similar to what you are doing, but basically I don't have the capital. How much capital would I need to live around 2 years in the Phils?
    Last edited by Harry T; 30th September 2014 at 12:10. Reason: add more

Quote Originally Posted by Harry T View Post
    5 more years until your Govt Pension. Will you have the single guy's pension - currently around £148ish - or are you able to claim the Couple's pension, which is, I believe, some £100 per week higher? It would make a heck of a difference to your lifestyle if you can have the couple's pension.

I too, am thinking of doing similar to what you are doing, but basically I don't have the capital. How much capital would I need to live around 2 years in the Phils?
    What 'couples pension' ?

5 more years until your Gov Pension, will you have the single guys pension currently around £148ish for single, or are you able to claim the Couples pension, which is i believe some £100 per week higher, that would make a heck of a difference to your lifestyle if you can have the couples pension.

I too am thinking of doing similar to what you are doing, but basically i dont have the capital, how much capital would i need to live around 2 years in phills ?.
    I have no idea about a couple's pension, I got a single pension forecast before I came to the Phils and married. If there is a couple's pension, I don't know if this would be allowed, with me being married to a foreign wife and both of us living here in the Phils.

I'm afraid how much capital is required, depends upon your lifestyle - taking into account, any medical insurance for that 2 years - and laying aside emergency money to fly back to the UK if you needed to.

Just don't make the mistake of thinking everything is cheap, or you will soon spend up. You have to think in peso value - like I have learnt to do. Now I think, "oh, that's expensive", instead of converting to UK £s and thinking it's cheap.

There's no couples pension Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Oh that's a shame, never mind what you never had you never miss as the saying goes

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    I know Ems wants to work here for a few more years and I cannot blame her for wanting that too.

I am quite prepared to wait, and like you say Joe, there are lots of plans to make before we both can say this is it. The longer I stay here the more we shall have, but time is running out very, very fast now.

I think this coming next year will make a big difference for me with the new pension plans coming into force, who knows plus our visit this Xmas to the Phils too.

Seeing the house that's not built and how the family is to us both.

With everything I do in life, I stand back and think about it. That's a good thing for me - might pee off Ems sometimes - but we get there in the end. STILL NO LOUIS VUITTON BAG, but I am running out of excuses now for that
    It's a tricky decision Steve, as you're not getting any younger and you are ready for retirement. If it was me - at your age - and I had the funds, I would be there like a shot. In my line of work, I see patients who were fine a couple of months ago and are now bedridden. Time doesn't stand still. Yes, I respect Em's views, but she is young and, dare I say it, she has a few more years left in her than you have. No disrespect mate.

Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    It's a tricky decision Steve, as you're not getting any younger and you are ready for retirement. If it was me - at your age - and I had the funds, I would be there like a shot. In my line of work, I see patients who were fine a couple of months ago and are now bedridden. Time doesn't stand still. Yes, I respect Em's views, but she is young and, dare I say it, she has a few more years left in her than you have. No disrespect mate.
    Exactly as I thought for my decision. I wasn't getting any younger, I had already almost missed the opportunity when i got ill, but i was lucky and recovered, and now look I'm here where I wanted to be and very happy. I got a second chance - not everyone does.

I retired on the 11th June 2012 and I was here in the Philippines on the 13th. If you don't do it that way you can worry yourself sick.

Do know what to say on this one, I retired at 47 and came here. I think it was too early because now I,m bored and want to go back for a while. This place is,nt for everyone. I find the way things get done here very frustrating at times. After coming from the west, its hard to understand the mentality of things here. But before I come back, I,m going to finish this house off so that I,ll be in the lucky position of having a house in both countries to go back and forth to, until I really know what I want to do. But at the moment, I,m like a headless chicken - wondering which way to go lol.

There is definitely less stress bill-wise here - easy to pay your bills, cheap to live and once I get solar power put in, living expenses will be very small.

It's the heat that would drive me back to UK. But here in Malaybalay, no pollution and cooler than Cagayan and Manila ... though it's still hot. But the best part is, it's cool in the morning and cool and fresh in the evening, which makes me feel more like home

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    It's the heat that would drive me back to UK. But here in Malaybalay, no pollution and cooler than Cagayan and Manila ... though its still hot. But the best part is, it's cool in the morning and cool and fresh in the evening, which makes me feel more like home
    Same here in Bacolod, it,s a lot cooler than Cebu and not so humid. It,s the mosquitos that will drive me back lol

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    Exactly as I thought for my decision. I wasn't getting any younger, I had already almost missed the opportunity when I got ill, but I was lucky and recovered, and now look I'm here where i wanted to be and very happy. I got a second chance - not everyone does.
    My wife keeps saying next year, so after 5 years I said, "we go next year, final that's it, or I go alone!" Sounds harsh but that's life.

Luckily I have the finances to do it. Also, I love the Philippines, the way of life and the people.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post
    Same here in Bacolod, it,s a lot cooler than Cebu and not so humid. It,s the mosquitos that will drive me back lol
    Tiger..I have got into the habit of using mozzy repellent from about 4 o'clock every day.

I don't get bitten any more so I guess it works!

Terpe, I am presently on Pension Credit of £148 per week. If I had a partner I would receive £226. So you are saying when I get my actual pension, these amounts are not applicable? And I can look forward to a reduced amount of actual pension?

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN....pdf?dtrk=true

1 Recent developments

The basic rate for the standard minimum guarantee of PC Guarantee Credit
    for 2014/15 is:

Single people £148.35
    Couples £226.50

May be worthwhile Stewart looking at these for future reference.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Terpe, I am presently on Pension Credit of £148 per week. If I had a partner, I would receive £226. So you are saying when I get my actual pension, these amounts are not applicable? And I can look forward to a reduced amount of actual pension?

Just called Age UK. It's correct Stewart, if you and your wife are not working you could be entitled to a Couple's Pension. They are sending me all the information by post. I won't benefit because Maritess is working, but they did say I may be able to claim something as the list covers quite a number of possibilities - including backdated monies previous to my marriage!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry T515194
    Terpe, I am presently on Pension Credit of £148 per week. If I had a partner, I would receive £226. So you are saying when I get my actual pension, these amounts are not applicable? And I can look forward to a reduced amount of actual pension?

1 Recent developments
    The basic rate for the standard minimum guarantee of PC Guarantee Credit
    for 2014/15 is:
    Single people £148.35
    Couples £226.50

Harry, I'm not talking about those folks resident in UK who are free to claim any benefits they are eligible for.

I'm talking about those folks living in Philippines.

Also, Pension Credit is not a Govt State Pension.
    There is no such thing as a couples Govt State Pension.

Pension Credit is an income related benefit that aims to top up your weekly income to a guaranteed minimum level of principally:-

£148.35 if you are single
    £226.50 if you have a partner

These notional minimum income levels may be increased if you are disabled, have caring responsibilities or certain housing costs, such as mortgage interest payments.

Pension credit does not automatically pay out at £148.35 /£226.50
    It's totally income based and income related and tested.
    The amount payable depends on your existing income.

If it's above the notional rates above then you get nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Just called Age UK. It's correct Stewart, if you and your wife are not working you could be entitled to couple's pension. They are sending me all the information by post. I won't benefit because Maritess is working, but they did say I may be able to claim something as the list covers quite a number of possibilities - including backdated monies previous to my marriage!
    Not applicable to those folks who are not resident in UK Michael.
    If you decided to relocate you'd lose that pension credit

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Not applicable to those folks who are not resident in UK Michael.
    If you decided to relocate you'd lose that pension credit
    Thanks for that Peter, just thought it would be same as normal pension!

Thanks all for your great comments. I think we are all so pleased for you Stewart, what you both have achieved in such a short time.

It's put me in a real downer and I just cannot seem to get out of this problem, but I will in time.

Compromise, Steve.

Move to Hartlepool.

Seriously, I agree with what Andy said.

I can understand your frustration Steve, and understand why Ems wants to stay here a little longer. I think you both need to sit down and decide on a date. It's pretty obvious you have had enough of the UK, and also I can understand Ems wanting to continue earning a decent wage.

I think you need to come to a compromise on your situation, sit down decide on a date, and Ems can do all the overtime she wants until that time comes.

Harry, I came up with a great idea the other day. I would move over there and Ems would send me £500 a month. .

Ems says NO

Harry, I came up with a great idea the other day, I would move over there and Ems would send me £500 a month ,

Ems says NO
    I'll bet she did!

Had to try Jamie.

But that has cost me a meal out this Saturday, just to say it was a bad idea sort of thing

Had to try Jamie.

But that has cost me a meal out this Saturday, just to say it was a bad idea sort of thing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information