Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I'm seriously considering the risks and recent happenings in Mindanao and also Manila.

I may need to make some changes in my plans
    Siquijor?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder now, after learning on this Forum about no go areas in this country because of Pakistanis!
    Now that is blown out of proportion Michael, how often do your hear of Pakistanis drunks or yobs attacking people? Nearly always it's White British yobs

Jamie ignore different government warnings at your peril
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Siquijor?
    No family connections there Michael.
    Although that's not a huge barrier I'd rather be within easy reach of family support.

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    Now that is blown out of proportion Michael, how often do your hear of Pakistanis drunks or yobs attacking people? Nearly always, its White British yobs

Look at Fred's video on the Alan Henning thread #131 Joe!

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    I take news of westerners being kidnapped seriously but that usually only happens in western Mindanao; an area I wouldn't venture in anyway. Putting the whole of Mindanao off limits because of a couple of isolated incidents in the north of the island is jumping the gun in my opinion. I look at the reasons as to why the Swiss were killed and one was allegedly slaughtered for suing the locals, and the other, most likely, involved a jealous ex boyfriend.

Furthermore, the Germans who were kidnapped from their yacht were taken off the coast of Palawan, so why doesn't Palawan have any warnings?

Quote Originally Posted by Ako Si Jamie View Post
    Blown out of proportion by some panicking pen-pusher. I'd rather listen to people who know the area such as the members on here or on Philippine travel forums than some pleb in a government office.
    Like my misses who was born there
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Look at Freds vid on the Alan Henning thread #131 Joe!
    1 news story Michael, the day you need to worry is when you have police searching for people like this

Police identified the suspect as Khadafy Guiamelon, a notorious kidnap-for-ransom gang leader implicated in about 30 abductions in Central Mindanao. Guiamelon is also believed to have led a botched bloody daytime heist in Koronadal City last Thursday in Koronadal City.
    http://www.mb.com.ph/notorious-gang-leader-falls/

and from the PNP

http://pnp-pro7.org/mostwanted.html

Respected Member
    I take news of westerners being kidnapped seriously but that usually only happens in western Mindanao; an area I wouldn't venture in anyway. Putting the whole of Mindanao off limits because of a couple of isolated incidents in the north of the island is jumping the gun in my opinion. I look at the reasons as to why the Swiss were killed and one was allegedly slaughtered for suing the locals, and the other, most likely, involved a jealous ex boyfriend.

Furthermore, the Germans who were kidnapped from their yacht were taken off the coast of Palawan, so why doesn't Palawan have any warnings?
    Yes, I would regard Palawan as risky as well

Abu Sayyaf like to use this island to kidnap westerners

I remember a few years back an American guy ended up being beheaded after being taken from Palawan

Mindanao does not have isolated incidents - it's more like on a daily basis

Davao Airport has been bombed before and random bomb attacks are frequent

Yes it may be mainly in the western part of Mindanao but the eastern part of Mindanao is only a bus ride away

Abu Sayyaf can turn their attention to other parts of Mindanao any time they feel like it

Marikina is sounding wonderful at this moment. Now, if I can sort the family out ...

Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post
    Yes, I would regard Palawan as risky as well

Abu Sayyaf like to use this island to kidnap westerners

I remember a few years back an American guy ended up being beheaded after being taken from Palawan

Mindanao does not have isolated incidents - its more like on a daily basis

Davao Airport has been bombed before and random bomb attacks are frequent

Yes it may be mainly in the western part of Mindanao but the eastern part of Mindanao is only a bus ride away

Abu Sayyaf can turn their attention to other parts of Mindanao any time they feel like it
    I'm talking about incidents involving westerners.

Davao, by the way, is said to be the safest city in the Phils.

There's a reason for folks saying that.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    There's a reason for folks saying that.
    Go on, Sir Terpe.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    Marikina is sounding wonderful at this moment, now if i can sort the family out
    Prone to flooding that area

Respected Member
    I'm talking about incidents involving westerners.

Davao may have a strict mayor but he cannot control extreme terrorist groups

Surely there is a reason why the British Government advises British Citizens not to go there

Davao may have a strict mayor but he cannot control extreme terrorist groups

Surely there is a reason why the British Government advises British Citizens not to go there
    It's the Aussie Government that's advising travellers to stay out of Mindanao. It's not just the western side, but everywhere, although they haven't given an explanation as to why.

Respected Member
    It's the Aussie Government that's advising travellers to stay out of Mindanao. It's not just the western side, but everywhere, although they haven't given an explanation as to why.
    Its not rocket science diba

Just Google Mindanao bombings kidnapping Muslim terrorist groups MNLF

The last bomb attacks in Davao was September last year 2 bombs in 2 different shopping malls

Its not rocket science diba

Just Google Mindanao bombings kidnapping Muslim terrorist groups MNLF

The last bomb attacks in Davao was September last year 2 bombs in 2 different shopping malls
    But what about Camiguin and Siargao? Nothing has happened here. The authorities should get their facts straight before tarring everywhere in Mindanao with the same brush. These islands rely on tourism.

Respected Member
    But what about Camiguin and Siargao? Nothing has happened here. The authorities should get their facts straight before tarring everywhere in Mindanao with the same brush. These islands rely on tourism.
    Ok there may be some places that may be considered relatively safe but you can't expect the authorities to give out maps with places marked up off limits, its much easier just classing the whole island as unsafe. I still think these extremist groups are mobile and you may find yourself in trouble in any part of Mindanao....

Ok there may be some places that may be considered relatively safe but you can't expect the authorities to give out maps with places marked up off limits, its much easier just classing the whole island as unsafe. I still think these extremist groups are mobile and you may find yourself in trouble in any part of Mindanao....
    That's why you have to do your homework before you go. . There are parts of this country where I wouldn't go.

To put some perspective on this let's not forget that Mindanao is similar in size to Luzon, Iceland, Ireland and Cuba

It's 4 times the size of Sicily

It's 9 times bigger than Jamaica.

One of my ship's crew is from Mindanao and he is very happy there and proud of his home but even he tells me never to go there as it would not be safe for me

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    Marikina is sounding wonderful at this moment. Now, if I can sort the family out ...
    Marikina fault line...

http://www.philstar.com/nation/2014/...isolate-manila

Nowhere is safe...
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

I was in Davao a few years ago and felt safe. Maybe it's different now. It is here tho' to be fair. Always the same advice don't be flash with cash and helps to have a local with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    One of my ship's crew is from Mindanao and he is very happy there and proud of his home but even he tells me never to go there as it would not be safe for me
    No offence intended, but I think it would be more dangerous for a girl. I know my two eldest daughters want to visit but we would have to keep our eyes on them and not let them stray. However, my wife's family would be there.

No offence taken Andy, I know what you mean and yes you may be right and that's why he has warned me against it.

I'd dare to suggest a lone female tourist would be safer in Davao than Manila.

Certainly a lot safer than say a holiday to Dominican Republic, Jamaica or Thailand etc.

I'm just referring to what the foreign affairs chump in Australia spewed out. He only mentions kidnapping and going by my knowledge, only a certain number of provinces in the west of the island have been affected.

As for bombs going off, yeah, a few have gone off in the malls in Davao, but that wouldn't deter me from going, especially as I come from a country where approximately 100 incidents related to terrorism have occurred in the past 45 years (not including Northern Ireland).

I would steer clear of the malls anyway because I'm only interested in Samal Island & Mount Apo. I have no intentions of sightseeing in Jollibee's.

Furthermore, Camiguin and Siargao can be reached without setting foot on mainland Mindanao.

Respected Member
    Even a lot of Filipinos from Manila won't travel to Mindanao because of these stories about Abu Sayaaf - when there is probably more chance of them being killed in some shooting/bus incident in Manila than being kidnapped in Mindanao. It's got more to do with the people that have never been there spreading rumours than the actual risk.

@London Manila - just in case you don't know -Abu Sayaaf can travel by plane/boat too, so Manila is no safer than Mindanao.

Quote Originally Posted by irishman12 View Post
    Even a lot of filipinos from Manila wont travel to Mindanao because of these stories about Abu Sayaaf - when there is probably more chance of them being killed in some shooting/bus incident in Manila than being kidnapped in Mindanao. It's got more to do with the people that have never been there spreading rumours than the actual risk.

@London Manila - just in case you dont know - Abu Sayaaf can travel by plane/boat too, so Manila is no safer than Mindanao.
    True!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information